Gransnet forums

House and home

I need to get a new lawn mower, and looking for advice please. I need something easy to use/handle, lightweight, etc

(12 Posts)
March15 Thu 06-May-21 14:33:50

I need to get myself a new lawnmower, something lightweight, easy to use, good grass box, etc. I was thinking of a cordless. I have seen a Spear and Jackson cordless, 37 cm, 40V,, Argos £200. I have a medium size garden. I welcome any advice. Thank you

Grammaretto Thu 06-May-21 15:35:21

I bought that very one last summer and am pleased with it so far. It comes with 2 batteries so it can be used continuously.
I love having a cordless mower. I have a huge garden and have a big petrol mower but it is just too heavy for me and very hard to start. Once going it is self propelling and makes quick work of the grass but I now prefer my lightweight mower.

Shandy57 Thu 06-May-21 15:39:32

I think I'll treat myself to that, the seller left me a corded mower and I'm always throwing the cord one way or the other.

hazel93 Thu 06-May-21 15:57:44

Thumbs up here for Spear and Jackson also.
Very light, works a treat at varying levels and once box is full it simply stops so no residue everywhere while you are thinking about other things !
Even DH cannot fault it - not that he mows that often, more of an edging person, which I am rubbish at.

62Granny Thu 06-May-21 16:16:46

Our daughter phoned last night, very excited, to let us know she is expecting, very early days yet so not going public, why you may ask am I writing on here, she is late 30 and never really been the motherly type. She has been married for 7 years and with her partner for 10, but I honestly thought that they had decided to be child free. My husband and I are obviously pleased but We are a little shocked to say the least. She has never discussed wanting a child but apparently they have been trying since their wedding. I had her in my 20s and never felt the need to have another child. I am a full time carer for my husband so won't be able to offer much support also she doesn't live near by. Any advise on giving her support long distance

shysal Thu 06-May-21 17:37:33

I bought a small cordless mower a while ago, but for my steep garden it was too heavy, and also too long to manouver around the curves (see pic). I ended up buying the smallest corded Flymo that has collection. It is so light and easy to use!
Good luck with your search.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264530639789?epid=2302234994&hash=item3d97413bad:g:BhwAAOSwCtFdyodd

Aldom Thu 06-May-21 20:06:31

62Granny I just popped in to suggest that you might want to ask GNHQ to move your post to the Ask a Gran forum. You won't get a response while it's in the House and Home forum. People are discussing lawnmowers. Hope this helps and you get some advice. Congratulations on your expected grandchild.

shysal Fri 07-May-21 09:25:32

Aldom, I don't bother about which forum a post appears in. I read the whole active list and choose the titles that appeal to me, as I am sure many others do. This one clearly says it all! smile

shysal Fri 07-May-21 09:30:30

Apologies, Aldom, I wrongly thought you were addressing the OP! Ignore me blush

Aldom Sat 08-May-21 15:35:20

shysal grin flowers

Aldom Sat 08-May-21 15:41:17

Actually shysal I might buy the Flymo recommended by you. I used to have a similar mower. Need a new one now. Thanks for the link.

Amberone Sat 08-May-21 17:04:50

We have a small battery operated Ryobi - has wheels so it's easy to move around, very light, not too expensive. We've had it for about five years, I do all the mowing and I love it. The main problem is getting the battery in and out if you have very small hands ?