Gransnet forums

House and home

Fading Satin Paint

(5 Posts)
Sparkling Wed 12-May-21 06:52:41

All my hall doors were painted less than two years ago, look very dingy, tried sugar soaping one but no improvement. Prefer the look of satin but its not fresh looking like gloss for long. . I used Dulux, I dread them all having to be sanded and painted again, such hard work.

Kim19 Wed 12-May-21 06:58:35

I'm just about to re do mine. Sugar washed yesterday but not as restored as I would like. Two years seems short for going off colour. I use Dulux Once and I think this has lasted me seven years in this room I am about to freshen up.

bikergran Wed 12-May-21 10:06:36

Having tried numerous paints, I have on few occasions used the "quick dry satin/gloss" (the one you can wash your brushes out in water)

Over a year or two I have found the colour goes sort of off white bit yellow.(no smoker in the house)

But when I have used undercoat and oil based gloss it last for years(lot harder work and longer drying times but looks better)

Also if you have used the quick dry paint, trying to sand it down is horrendous as it sort of peels off in bits.

So from then on it was the old fashioned way of sanding, undercoating, gloss.

Lin52 Wed 12-May-21 21:48:55

Sparkling

All my hall doors were painted less than two years ago, look very dingy, tried sugar soaping one but no improvement. Prefer the look of satin but its not fresh looking like gloss for long. . I used Dulux, I dread them all having to be sanded and painted again, such hard work.

My decorator always uses eggshell, four years on still looks fresh.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-May-21 22:10:43

Is the hall dark. Only light keeps paint bright and shiny.