Gransnet forums

House and home

Induction hobs

(35 Posts)
KarenR Wed 12-May-21 17:24:47

I’ve always had a gas hob but am tempted in my new kitchen to switch to induction. Have any of you switched? Do you regret it? Thank you.

grandMattie Wed 12-May-21 17:26:59

When I moved, the house already had an induction hob. My biggest problem was getting stainless steel pots and pans and that they were absolutely flat.
It’s ok, excellent for simmering, easy to clean...

dogsmother Wed 12-May-21 17:28:53

I’m interested too, however it does mean a whole new set of pans.
I had a lovely new kitchen fitted several years ago and never was happy with the hob. Keep toying with induction as it’s supposed to Be as easy as gas but much cleaner lines.

J52 Wed 12-May-21 17:33:40

Our current house had an induction hob when we moved in. It’s brilliant, I’d never have anything else now. So easy to clean and the heat control is very specific. With ours you can use a timer on each heat area, so no more boiling over . If your cooking something that might spit you can surround the area with kitchen paper.
I was buying new pans anyway, but the Le Cruset and stainless ones work.

annodomini Wed 12-May-21 17:51:44

I've always had a gas hob, but, having got the hang of the induction hobs in both DS's kitchens, I'd love to have one myself - an excuse for some new pans too.

MandL Wed 12-May-21 17:57:19

We put one in when we did the kitchen in our previous home -it was brilliant. Safe too as the panel doesn’t get red hot, the only heat is from the pan itself. We have since moved and I’m sadly back to a gas hob. When we do the kitchen here (it badly needs it), I’ll definitely be having an induction hob.

MiniMoon Wed 12-May-21 17:57:31

I never had a gas hob. I moved from a house with an Aga to a house with an induction hob. When the hob broke, I replaced it with another. I wouldn't use anything else now.
I didn't need any new pans as all mine were stainless steel.

PamelaJ1 Wed 12-May-21 17:59:59

Mine is totally wonderful. Copes with my old cast iron pans as well as the new ones that I bought.

kjmpde Wed 12-May-21 18:06:17

I understand that you need to try your saucepans with a magnet to see if suitable as that is how induction hobs work, . I was also told that the problem is that if you tilt your pan ( for those that baste a fried egg etc), the hob could go out. for some induction hobs are great for others they are annoying. I am reluctant to change as I have a set of pans (which are not suitable for an induction hob) that I could not use. I don't understand the comments that stainless steel pans are suitable as they are not generally magnetic. Are people getting confused about ceramic hobs ?

Mamissimo Wed 12-May-21 18:15:48

Modern stainless pans are usually made with a sandwich base which makes them great for induction hobs kjmpde. Tilting a pan isn't a problem but they do switch off if you move the pan right off the 'ring' - useful really!

I wouldn't have anything else as induction is so controllable and efficient.

Whiff Wed 12-May-21 18:16:05

When I had my new kitchen had an induction hob. I love it. Make sure you get one with crosses not circles. On crosses you can use either a milk pan or preserving pan on any of them. If you have circles you can only use that size pan on that size circle. Mine is a Hoover one. It was a Which recommended.

It's so quick to boil and when you turn it down it responses straight away. Don't do what I did and put it to boil and turned round it boiled over. But only needs a soapy sponge to clean and then dry with kitchen roll.

Just check all your pans with a magnet if it sticks it will work on the induction hob.

J52 Wed 12-May-21 18:18:09

kjmpde

I understand that you need to try your saucepans with a magnet to see if suitable as that is how induction hobs work, . I was also told that the problem is that if you tilt your pan ( for those that baste a fried egg etc), the hob could go out. for some induction hobs are great for others they are annoying. I am reluctant to change as I have a set of pans (which are not suitable for an induction hob) that I could not use. I don't understand the comments that stainless steel pans are suitable as they are not generally magnetic. Are people getting confused about ceramic hobs ?

No not confused, my new ones are Judge SS and work perfectly. Most new pans state what heating method they are suitable for.
Hob indicator flashes when the pan is lifted, but doesn’t cut out, it re heats when the pan is put down again. When turned off the indicator flashes ‘H’ for safety until it’s cold.

J52 Wed 12-May-21 18:20:29

I think the pan confusion could be because some stainless steel pans have an aluminium base, which would not conduct the heat.

diygran Wed 12-May-21 18:26:43

Bought a house with an induction hob fitted. Couldnt get the hang of it at all and found it difficult to control.

Technical minded hubby found it a pain. We switched to ceramic hob and find it makes life easier. Would prefer gas hob but it's not an option.

Grandmajean Wed 12-May-21 18:40:43

Had a new kitchen 12 years ago and the company we bought it from suggested an induction hob. I hadn't heard of them and was going to have gas. Absolutely loved it from day one. Brilliant.

SueDonim Wed 12-May-21 18:40:45

I’d never have anything but induction now. I changed from gas and have never regretted it. I have SS Circulon pans.

Kim19 Wed 12-May-21 18:53:19

Very interested in the need for change of pans. Enlighten, please? I changed to induction but all my ancient pans seem to work perfectly. Guess I was just lucky.

Greyduster Wed 12-May-21 19:05:09

Induction hobs are brilliant. Yes, you may need to change your pans, but most new pans now are induction compatible and they need not cost a fortune. When cooking is finished a swift wipe over with a damp cloth is all that is needed. You can tilt pans during cooking or move the pan off the ring temporarily and the hob will not go out immediately - you have some latitude. If you forget to turn it off when cooking is finished, it will turn itself off. You can set a timer for each ring, and if you have one with a boost function it will boil a pan of water faster than an electric kettle can. Wouldn’t be without mine.

JaneJudge Wed 12-May-21 19:10:10

we do as we don't have mains gas. It is very good tbh but it's a STOVES one so not cheap (I suppose not mega expensive either smile )

LadyGracie Wed 12-May-21 19:22:06

I love my induction hob, so much cleaner than the gas hob I used to have. You can get pans suitable for an induction hob quite cheaply. All mine are from IKEA.

Katyj Wed 12-May-21 20:50:42

I love mine. It took me a while to get used to it after gas though. It’s so easy to clean , very fast and compliant, always looks good.

Lin52 Wed 12-May-21 21:45:46

KarenR

I’ve always had a gas hob but am tempted in my new kitchen to switch to induction. Have any of you switched? Do you regret it? Thank you.

I changed to induction from gas after a tenant wrecked my kitchen and had to put in a new one, fresh start and all that. My Asda stockpot works brilliantly as luckily all my other pans, so no further expense. Use a magnet on your pans if it sticks pans will work.Heats up quickly, is cheaper , more so than gas, and once reaches boil turn down and keeps cooking nicely, and of course so much easier to clean, even after the odd time something boils over.

Sara1954 Wed 12-May-21 22:12:20

We changed from an Aga to range cooker with induction hob, because we don’t have mains gas.
It is fabulous, so controllable, and easy to clean.
All my old Aga pans work fine, but I really want to go and get some new ones, as they are so heavy. I’ve been waiting for restrictions to lift, so that I can go to John Lewis and replace them all.
The only the we couldn’t use was an omelette pan.

dragonfly46 Wed 12-May-21 22:19:18

Not sure what you mean Whiff. I have a Miele with circles and I can use any sized pan on any ring.

Skydancer Wed 12-May-21 22:24:23

Induction hobs are fabulous. I'd never look back. Also, when switched off, they look sleek and clean.