Gransnet forums

House and home

Video Doorbell advice & recommendations please

(12 Posts)
Liz08 Thu 13-May-21 18:59:33

I can't see callers through my front window and I can't fit a spyhole in my solid, laminated front door (rented house so can't mess with it).
Would a video doorbell would be a good idea? Nothing too fancy or complicated needed - an app on my phone if necessary - I just want to know who's at the door before opening it.
What are your experiences with these devices? Suggestions and advice needed please (Amazon reviews are giving me a headache!).
Sorry if this topic has already been covered, but I searched and couldn't find it.

kittylester Thu 13-May-21 19:34:37

We have a Ring and find it useful and entertaining. We get notifications on our phones and Alexa.

Although the neighbours might not be too keen on hearing a couple of oldies singing 'Someone's Knocking at The Door' everytime Alexa tells us there is someone there!

Pittcity Thu 13-May-21 19:57:12

We have a Ring too. Bought an older version which was the cheapest to try it out.

You get a picture of who's there on your phone app and can speak to the person. We find it useful if we're out when deliveries are made to tell the person to "leave it round the back" or whatever.
I also like to see the wildlife passing by after dark. We pay a subscription for saving and viewing videos later but you don't need to subscribe to just use the video doorbell.

We use Alexa but you can buy a chime if you prefer a "ding dong", this is useful as you don't always have your phone to hand at home.

If you want to save video footage without subscription I'd recommend a Eufy doorbell which has a harddrive like a computer to save the video.

ElaineI Thu 13-May-21 20:04:37

DD2 has a Eufy on front and back door. Front covers from gate to the door - comes up on her iPhone and Alexa and has no subscription. Was advised by police for safety. You can speak to the caller from the phone even when you are not at home. Battery seems to last a long time on a single charge.

Liz08 Fri 14-May-21 08:38:27

Thank you everyone - very helpful. smile I've researched 'Ring' but never heard of Eufy before - will check it out now.

Liz46 Fri 14-May-21 08:51:23

People have posted videos on our local Facebook page of burglars trying to break in. The burglars had been unaware of the video doorbell.
My daughter has one and seems pleased with it. She was able to watch how someone interacted with my granddaughter and was reassured.

Hetty58 Fri 14-May-21 09:17:07

I've had a Ring for a few years (wired in to the existing door bell so no recharging) and it's been reliable and useful.

No need to go to the door for cold callers etc. - and evidence that a parcel wasn't delivered too. It's a burglary deterrent/watchdog when I'm out.

ElaineI Fri 14-May-21 19:45:35

Thanks Hetty - forgot to say you can get them hardwired too instead of battery.

Liz08 Sun 16-May-21 19:33:00

Thanks again everyone.
My friend has a 'Ring' doorbell but finds that when someone rings, the picture on her phone takes so long to 'buffer', that the caller has gone!
I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

welbeck Sun 16-May-21 19:38:02

that sounds like it needs some adjustment.
re the burglars trying to break in, was that at a nearby house ?
i'd imagine that the very sight of a ring doorbell would deter intruders.
don't know if the eufy is so recognisable though ?

Pittcity Mon 17-May-21 12:44:05

Liz08

Thanks again everyone.
My friend has a 'Ring' doorbell but finds that when someone rings, the picture on her phone takes so long to 'buffer', that the caller has gone!
I don't want to make an expensive mistake.

As well as the Ring app to control the bell, you can download Rapid Ring, which sends the notification to your phone more quickly.
You can also buy a chime or set your Alexa etc to announce the ring.

ev00stanley Wed 26-May-21 14:21:56

There are various home security devices with advanced technologies are available on market due to the increased demand. Security cameras, window or glass break detectors, video doorbells, etc are a few among them. I had recently installed a security camera and SkyBell video doorbell in my home as a result of increased crime rates in our area. I can say that these devices give high-level protection to our home and surroundings. SkyBell Video Doorbell gives warning signs to house owners when outsiders are in front of their door and it has remote monitoring from anywhere.