Gransnet forums

House and home

Retired folk - how long do you spend on household chores?

(132 Posts)
Revolucion Sun 13-Jun-21 11:52:25

Wondering how much time people who are retired generally spend on cleaning, cooking, laundry, food shopping and other household chores.
For me I think it’s about 12 hours a week as DH (who is still working) does some of the cooking, I guess another 3 hours or so.

How about you?

midgey Sun 13-Jun-21 11:55:16

As little time as possible!

Blossoming Sun 13-Jun-21 11:58:08

Same as midgey.

Harris27 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:59:35

Your retired enjoy and do as little as possible.

tanith Sun 13-Jun-21 11:59:59

When the mood takes me but nowhere 12 hrs.

kittylester Sun 13-Jun-21 12:00:35

Well, I love cooking so I don't count that and we have a cleaner!

MawBe Sun 13-Jun-21 12:04:52

That long? I have never added it up, I do things as they need doing (if even then)
I have a cleaner every two weeks who does the whole house in 3 hours and I may do a quick zoom round if anybody is coming , as for shopping (online) - maybe 30 minutes at a time!

Teacheranne Sun 13-Jun-21 12:08:00

MawBe

That long? I have never added it up, I do things as they need doing (if even then)
I have a cleaner every two weeks who does the whole house in 3 hours and I may do a quick zoom round if anybody is coming , as for shopping (online) - maybe 30 minutes at a time!

I’m the same, a cleaner to do the bulk of my chores and click and collect for my weekly shopping. I do all my gardening though apart from mow the lawn but I don’t consider that as a chore as I love being outside pottering!

BlueBelle Sun 13-Jun-21 12:09:08

5 minutes a day

mokryna Sun 13-Jun-21 12:10:12

Less than I did when I was working.

MawBe Sun 13-Jun-21 12:10:56

Oh yes, I have started cutting the grass myself after treating myself to a cordless lawnmower instead of paying somebody each week.
And as Margot Leadbetter said in the Good Life “Gerry, I arrange all my own flowers” ?

greenlady102 Sun 13-Jun-21 12:13:24

MawBe

Oh yes, I have started cutting the grass myself after treating myself to a cordless lawnmower instead of paying somebody each week.
And as Margot Leadbetter said in the Good Life “Gerry, I arrange all my own flowers” ?

ha ha I don't like cut flowers, there's another job saved...I water my own housplants though

Kate1949 Sun 13-Jun-21 12:20:03

I'm a hopeless cook and give the house a cat lick every now and again. It looks/is fine. It's clean enough.

sf101 Sun 13-Jun-21 12:21:21

I'm in the camp of 'as little as possible'. We all know by now that however much you do, it will always need doing again!!
Just had fake grass put down in my small garden so don't have that job anymore either. Happy days.

Casdon Sun 13-Jun-21 12:23:02

A lot more than 12 hours a week, if you include minor maintenance tasks like painting, clearing out the garage and general accumulated stuff from all over the house? If you add in the garden, it’s probably 30 hours a week (still a lot less than working and trying to do it all as well).

I’m putting right years of household and garden neglect now I’ve retired - but it’s taking a lot longer than I thought it would.

Polarbear2 Sun 13-Jun-21 12:26:56

Little as poss. Little anecdote - friend came to visit. Said ‘oh I wish I could be relaxed and not feel my house has to be pristine’. ???. I took it as a compliment. My house is a home not a show house.

Redhead56 Sun 13-Jun-21 12:30:44

Most of my time cooking or baking
it's my passion. Very little on housework told DH he Hoover's better than me it's his job now. I spend alot of time gardening.

sodapop Sun 13-Jun-21 12:38:08

More than 12 hours and that doesn't include shopping or cooking which my husband does.
Keeps me fit if nothing else. Probably will not do quite so much now as I am back in my voluntary role after Covid closures.

Jaxjacky Sun 13-Jun-21 12:40:01

I’m of the as little as possible brigade. Hoover downstairs once a week, dust when I notice it, no ornaments or photo’s, so a quick job. Kitchen floor washed as it needs it, cloakroom and en suite couple of times a week, family bathroom, when it’s used, rarely ( loo done weekly for limescale) . I cook most nights, but nothing too time consuming, washing when the basket is full, 95% of shopping done online. Probably 5/6 hours a week. My husband works, but clears up dinner, cuts the grass and irons. There’s only two of us, no pets and minimalistic furnishings.
I don’t consider gardening a chore.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 13-Jun-21 12:56:17

Not as much as I did before DH retired, I used to clean thoroughly at least three times a week, ( moving all the furniture out once a week) cooked an evening meal from scratch along with a pudding every day, did all my own shopping, gardening, washing, ironing etc.

Now I shop online, cook when we are hungry and clean if it gets so bad that I can’t leave it, wash and iron when I feel like it, the only thing that gets done as usual is the garden.
I’m turning into a slattern!?

Mattsmum2 Sun 13-Jun-21 12:58:46

I’m in the little brigade, when it’s needed mostly. I have very hairy dog so when she’s shedding I might wizz the vacuum around every other day.

GillT57 Sun 13-Jun-21 13:15:37

As little as is needed, and even with that I am toying with the idea of a cleaner. Kitchen cleaned up after meals of course, bathroom cleaned when needed, guest rooms aired daily, but dusted and vacuumed when needed, or perhaps when I am passing by. Kitchen floor is my bug bear, it needs sweeping and washing more than it actually gets. So, if I was to add it all up? 7-8 hours a week, including post breakfast and dinner clean up of kitchen which is the bulk of it, dusting and vacuuming, probably an hour a week. It can all wait whereas my good book, sitting in the garden, pottering in the garden just cannot wait. Priorities darling, priorities wine flowers sunshine

Puzzler61 Sun 13-Jun-21 13:21:31

MawBe where did you get that picture of me in my recliner chair? ?
If I added up all the hours I have spent doing chores in the past 43 years (too many), I’ll spend as little time as possible doing housework now I’m retired - just enough to keep it clean.

muse Sun 13-Jun-21 13:27:48

Most days 0 hours. Not many people see the inside of the cottage which is basically one small 30m2 room. Hoovering dog hairs and reams of cobwebs are main chore about once every 2 weeks. Have a bedroom annexe with en-suite. That gets a look in when some staying.

Don’t class cooking as housework.

Majority of my time is spent gardening

ginny Sun 13-Jun-21 13:35:00

I keep the place tidy, make sure loos and basins are clean and sweep the kitchen floor each day. Other that that things get done when I notice them or don’t have anything better to do.
Anyone who thinks I should do more is welcome to do it for me.