Gransnet forums

House and home

Is it possible for a house to be too tidy?

(99 Posts)
varian Mon 21-Jun-21 19:08:11

We recently visited an aquaintance who had moved house some months ago. He is an elderly widower with children and grand children. He is very well off.

His new house was lovely, very tasteful like a house from a magazine but it was incredibly tidy.

There were no plants, very few books, virtually no ornaments except for a few carefully chosen antiques, hardly any pictures, no family photos or momentoes.

It was pristine and elegant which was obviously how he wanted it to be, but it did not seem at all homely.

Aveline Mon 21-Jun-21 19:10:34

What's the problem. If that's the way he likes that's fine.

Hithere Mon 21-Jun-21 19:12:02

Yes, it is possible

Nothing wrong with it if it's what the person living there likes,

CanadianGran Mon 21-Jun-21 19:12:45

I know a few people with homes like that. Not my idea of home, but they would go nuts with a magazine laying on a table, or phone chargers x 3 sitting on the kitchen counter.

They love to see everything in its place, it makes them feel content. I feel at home with a few plants and sentimental knick-knacks. Also children's drawings on the fridge. I guess it comes down to whatever makes you feel at home.

Sparkling Mon 21-Jun-21 19:13:51

He has probably had a clean out for a fresh start. It takes a lot to move soon after being widowed. If I moved I would have a massive clean out too. We are all different and he’s happy as he is.

Daisend1 Mon 21-Jun-21 19:14:58

Too tidy ? well that lets me off blush

Amberone Mon 21-Jun-21 19:21:12

I wouldn't call that tidy, I would call it empty. He may have his reasons - possibly he just doesn't want the care of plants. Hard to explain why there are no family mementos. Maybe this is the house he always wanted.

wildswan16 Mon 21-Jun-21 19:43:54

I think that if you are a person who knows they really don't like housework, finds it difficult to keep things tidy etc - then the fewer possessions the better. It makes life so much easier.

If he is happy with his living arrangements then good for him.

Maybe his wife loved a bit of clutter and he hated it, so is now able to have things his own way.

Callistemon Mon 21-Jun-21 19:53:34

I suppose it might be too tidy for most people but just right for him. He obviously likes to be in control of his surroundings.

(She says, hastily picking up the TV times from the floor and wondering if the knitting bag is making the place look untidy or artistically arranged.)

grannylyn65 Mon 21-Jun-21 19:54:18

After reading I glanced at my sofa
On which is medication papers 2 cardigans and a cat, and a box of scratching s ?

Callistemon Mon 21-Jun-21 19:56:59

Oh, I also have a cardigan slung very untidy on the sofa just in case.

A letter from a friend on the table next to me.
And an empty cup.

I'd drive him potty - and probably vice versa.

LovelyCuppa Mon 21-Jun-21 19:57:17

Our house is like that. I keep my happy memories in my heart, not through stuff. Other people are different.

M0nica Mon 21-Jun-21 20:34:43

I knew someone like that once. She had two small children and seemed to spend all her time picking things up, moving chairs back to their precise spots, doing yet another load of washing.

It was when we were first married and lived in a new house on a new estate, lots of young wives and a baby every month. We were all very friendly and frankly we thought she was nuts.

I think this gentleman knows exactly how a house should look but doesn't have that home making skill that some people have. I have every sympathy for his tidyness. I am one of the tidy brigade. he just doesn't know how to make a house a home.

lemongrove Mon 21-Jun-21 20:35:41

Sparkling

He has probably had a clean out for a fresh start. It takes a lot to move soon after being widowed. If I moved I would have a massive clean out too. We are all different and he’s happy as he is.

Exactly.
Perhaps he has always wanted his house ‘just so’ and now he can do.
DH has been saying for several days that the coffee table has become a ‘lumber chute’ blush to which I have just added another book, a magazine, a banana skin and an empty crisp packet.

Jaxjacky Mon 21-Jun-21 20:36:02

Our house isn’t ‘magazine style’ but as with your acquaintance, we have no photo’s or ornaments. Too fiddly, hate dusting and like clean lines.

Grandma70s Mon 21-Jun-21 20:40:29

Sounds deadly to me. If that’s what he wants that’s all right, but I don’t think I’d like him.

JaneJudge Mon 21-Jun-21 20:45:39

maybe it is a conscious decision as it's easier to clean/look after?

MayBee70 Mon 21-Jun-21 20:47:03

I’m on a Facebook page about minimalist living ( not sure why because I’m such a hoarder) and some of the posts freak me out. One was showing a letter saying that the tooth fairy doesn’t come to children’s rooms that are untidy.

Chewbacca Mon 21-Jun-21 20:48:35

His house: his rules. Your house: your rules. Simples.

Grannyben Mon 21-Jun-21 20:49:38

I wonder if your elderly acquaintance is keeping things minimal so that his family don't have too much to clear when he dies.
I know l have done this. I have just enough to make my home homely but my new home certainly isn't like my old one.

crazyH Mon 21-Jun-21 20:58:56

I agree with Grannyben - I would like to get rid of all my clutter before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Less work for the kids …..

nadateturbe Mon 21-Jun-21 21:03:57

I don't think its important as long as a house is clean. Everyone is different. And maybe he tidied for you coming. My friend once remarked to me, Your bathroom is spotless! Of course it was. I had cleaned for her visit.

Callistemon Mon 21-Jun-21 21:07:35

MayBee70

I’m on a Facebook page about minimalist living ( not sure why because I’m such a hoarder) and some of the posts freak me out. One was showing a letter saying that the tooth fairy doesn’t come to children’s rooms that are untidy.

I think the tooth fairy decided that after she visited my DD's bedroom and tripped over the pile of toys, banged her knee and woke everyone up.
Who knew that tooth fairies swore?

3nanny6 Mon 21-Jun-21 21:08:36

It sounds absolute bliss to me uncluttered and minimalist. This last two years I have tried but not managed to clear up clutter and things I no longer need. I cleared loads of candles and ornaments but a friend told me my place looked empty and had brought me another lot of candles (groan, groan).

The gas safety check man is coming tomorrow and I am just about to clear some items away and shove into a cupboard until he has gone. I don't want him to think I am a hoarder
and do not like housework.

rafichagran Mon 21-Jun-21 21:19:07

The house sounds lovely to me. I dont like clutter or ornaments.