Gransnet forums

House and home

Inspiration please.

(31 Posts)
Flaxseed Sun 27-Jun-21 15:51:46

I am fairly minimalistic and my like to keep to very neutral colours.
I am in the (very long) process of buying a house which is only about three years old.
The bathroom is very boring even by my minimalistic/neutral standards and would love some inspiration please!! I need to keep the tiles to keep costs down. I am hopeless at interior design and usually resort to Pinterest and Instagram for ideas but I am even struggling there! I quite fancy the idea of wallpaper above the tiles but have always had tiled/painted bathrooms so not sure how practical that would be.
Thanks in advance!

Callistemon Sun 27-Jun-21 15:58:26

I'd stick to having towels in bright colours, perhaps a picture on the wall, a shelf with plants or a bowl of shells etc.

It looks fine to me, just needs some 'dressing'.
I wouldn't paper it myself

Callistemon Sun 27-Jun-21 16:00:54

www.loveproperty.com/gallerylist/70512/61-budget-bathroom-ideas-to-freshen-up-your-space

You could choose a theme and accessorise around that

tanith Sun 27-Jun-21 16:22:55

I agree with Callistemon a nice colourful picture and bright towels, paper isn’t usually good in a damp atmosphere.

MiniMoon Sun 27-Jun-21 16:23:07

We had half tiled, half wallpaper in a previous bathroom. It was blue themed. Plain tiles and sort of swirly patterned wallpaper. I liked it (it was in the house when we bought it), DH didn't. Don't know what it was made from, but it washed well.

Daisend1 Sun 27-Jun-21 16:28:59

Never bright towels unless you are willing to keep replacing them They will fade due to constantly in the wash.Visit showrooms that deal with sinks /baths.etc for inspiration.

fevertree Sun 27-Jun-21 16:29:46

Having watched Scotland's Home of the Year ... I gather that strong contrast colours are en vogue grin - if it is possible, could you paint the window frame (and maybe the doorframe too) in a mustard or lime green? Coral? Then add accessories that pick up the colour.

Pittcity Sun 27-Jun-21 16:37:02

I would get a cupboard or shelving for the gap between the loo and the shower. Stack towels there...yes to colours....and plant or ornament on top. Picture or mirror above loo.

Bright and colourful accessories will bring it to life.

ElderlyPerson Sun 27-Jun-21 16:38:19

I suggest avoiding blue or pink or red in the bathroom.

It can reflect light peculiarly in the bathroom mirror and make people look like there is something wrong with them.

Maybe a bright yellow would be cheerful.

Not some mild creamy colour - think of a canary colour.

Though if that is too bright for you, maybe a primrose yellow.

As for towels, I am told by someone who worked in a shop that most people tend to buy several the same colour. However, I don't, I get one each of several colours so that as they are placed, used and washed there is a continuous change of colour.

However, it is your bathroom, so your choice.

Lucca Sun 27-Jun-21 16:40:31

Pictures, pretty towels and mat

MerylStreep Sun 27-Jun-21 16:48:41

I’m rather fond of metal wall art.
I can see these on that wall. But there again I don’t know your style ?
We do have one thing in common. I have a minimalist bathroom. www.jazzitupinteriors.co.uk/acatalog/IMPOSING-FLOCK-OF-METAL-ART-BIRDS-MVAHHD0074.html#SID=604
There are a lot more to choose from.

Callistemon Sun 27-Jun-21 17:24:03

Daisend1

Never bright towels unless you are willing to keep replacing them They will fade due to constantly in the wash.Visit showrooms that deal with sinks /baths.etc for inspiration.

I bought some from Dunelm and they haven't faded although they are washed regularly at 60C.
Christy dark red ones haven't faded either.

We got so fed up with white ones our bathrooms are white and black.

tanith Sun 27-Jun-21 17:46:12

I too have Dunelm towels with matching shower mat in 3 different colours they haven’t faded and are also washed at 60*. It’s nice to have the change of colour.

nadateturbe Sun 27-Jun-21 17:53:53

I would be reluctant to paper the wall. But I do think it needs brightened up You've already had good suggestions. I have pictures on the bathroom wall, they have been there for years and haven't been affected by steam. Colourful towels and mats. Mine haven't faded but if they do over time its a good excuse to change the colour scheme. Good luck in your new home!

62Granny Sun 27-Jun-21 17:58:44

I would say some nice towels , I bought some striped ones in Morrison's pre Covid they have been washed constantly over the last few years and are still looking good, a patterned blind at the window then pick out the colours for the towels, some nice cacti / succulents type plants or a cheese plant. I would not paper either as it will curl up at the edges with the steam.

Flaxseed Sun 27-Jun-21 18:29:23

Thank you everyone!!
I love all of these ideas!

I do think the area between the shower and toilet needs something so I will look for a free standing shelf unit that I can style with some contrasting towels and plants.
I will also look for a print for the wall.
I’l daresay I’ll be back for inspiration for other rooms too grin

J52 Sun 27-Jun-21 18:33:38

We have some similar tiles in one of our bathrooms, not my choice either. I painted the walls and ceiling in Dulux Coconut Milk Matt paint. The hard wearing variety. It tones down the tiles.
The towels and bath mat are deep turquoise . Haven’t faded.
On the wall I’ve a large painting of jungle leaves and have a couple of palm plants in the room. It’s not too fussy, but ties in the colours.

Mattsmum2 Sun 27-Jun-21 18:33:58

Perhaps a bright blind? Way fair also have lots of ideas and units for bathrooms.

kissngate Sun 27-Jun-21 18:47:24

Buy a patterned roller blind for window. One with beach huts or sailing yachts would look good possibly with pale blue and white background. Look for a nice print to go on wall again think beach huts Hampton style not Blackpool. Buy a rush basket (TK Max or Homesense) and fill it with towels in muted blues and pale pink. Add an artificial plant to the window sill and buy a lovely plant pot to bring it all together.

Sago Sun 27-Jun-21 19:43:57

I agree a patterned roller or Roman blind for the window would soften the room and add some texture.
I would look at a shelf on the large wall, but an interesting shelf where you could add some colour and texture using plants ornaments et cetera

Callistemon Sun 27-Jun-21 20:05:23

The towels and bath mat are deep turquoise . Haven’t faded.

Yes, mine too. It wasn't easy to find any as they were in fashion then the fashion changed to a dull sludgy colour.

I found those in Dunelm.

You could choose a patterned roller blind and pick up one of the colours for towels, mats etc.

Coolgran65 Sun 27-Jun-21 21:26:19

My bathroom colours are similar. To dress it I have a lime green roller blind that was £6 in Dunelm sale. A large silver framed mirror. Towels are lime green, yellow or aqua and used in rotation from Dunelm and Asda. As a feature a lime green tin bucket holds long thin pieces of driftwood found on local beaches. Liquid hand soap etc is green. A good quality floral garland of daisies and greenery from TK Maxx drape the mirror.
A wooden box holds a few clean hand towels in appropriate colours. When buying shampoo and toiletries I try to get colours that tone.

Grandmafrench Sun 27-Jun-21 21:36:57

Towels and shelving or a unit for them with plants. Maybe one in the window too - plants are very 'in' this year. The roller blind idea is perfect because the window does look really bare. Some accessories like that will bring it together in an instant

4allweknow Mon 28-Jun-21 15:07:33

By the time you add colourful bath towels, a mat, blind on the window there will be pops of colour, enough to break up what you think as plain. Do you have a large mirror as that can reflect colour? Also a picture or a wooden/coloured glass feature piece on the end wall would also break up the bare wall.

Skydancer Mon 28-Jun-21 15:10:25

Why not use border tiles. They are really slim and come in all colours. Very easy to fit too. Ours are mosaic and brighten up our white bathroom. A very cheap way to gain a lovely effect.