Gransnet forums

House and home

Converting an old shed into a nice summer house… well that’s the plan! ?

(217 Posts)
Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 09:54:57

I have a shed 10‘ x 10‘ and not in bad condition, I thought!I had a guy come round from a shed company to see about doing the repairs and I’m having new windows doors and a roof however he did not pick up on the rotten wood at the bottom of the shed and I rang the company and was very peeved but it is what it is and I need to carry on. On the right side of the shed there about two panels of wood that are really rotten and a few along the front as well but the rest of the shed seems to be quite good condition. It is dry lined and has electricity. Anyway first thing to do is get all the rubbish out of it and my son is coming today to take rubbish to the tip so will see how it goes and keep you informed…. As you can imagine any advice very gratefully received(As long as it’s not burn it down and start again!!!?‍♀️) And inside the shed on the side where the rotten wood is the floor is quite damp so all in all I think this is going to be quite A big job…

timetogo2016 Sun 11-Jul-21 10:02:12

I think a new shed tbh,it sounds like you are going to be repairing something that will possibly cost more in the long run,especially the damp floor.

Callistemon Sun 11-Jul-21 10:03:08

As long as it’s not burn it down and start again!!

I'm saying nothing .....

Beechnut Sun 11-Jul-21 10:05:50

I hope you keep us up to date with your progress Shinamae. I have a block shed needing lots of attention. (waiting for quote)
One part needs to be for gardening tools and the rest I’d like to have a sort of girly den.

tanith Sun 11-Jul-21 10:19:44

I agree a new shed will probably cost less than the extensive repairs you have planned.

Nannylovesshopping Sun 11-Jul-21 10:23:33

Def new shed, you can choose exactly what you want, complete with brand spanking new solid floor?

Luckygirl Sun 11-Jul-21 10:44:27

Knock it down and start again! That sort of damp in wood at the bottom of the structure will just give endless trouble. It will be cheaper in the long run.

Katie59 Sun 11-Jul-21 10:45:36

Burn it down and start again, labour costs and new materials will add up to more than a new summerhouse factory built and erected.

LauraNorder Sun 11-Jul-21 10:47:19

Callistemon

^As long as it’s not burn it down and start again!!^

I'm saying nothing .....

Another one with sealed lips

muse Sun 11-Jul-21 10:47:39

Can you cancel the windows and doors?

Can't see much from the photos but it looks like it doesn't have a concrete base. The shed is just sitting on bearers / joists.

Last year MrM had to jack one side of his workshop up (15') to put in some new joists - they had rotted and the floor was collapsing. That has no concrete base.

Good luck

Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 11:15:17

I have already paid for the new roof and doors and windows cancelling is not an option I’m afraid. As I say the majority of the shed seems quite sound and I having a carpenter coming in to look at the wood. Will keep you posted….? Because the shed is off the floor apparently that is much better for it because the air circulates underneath it, where the damp has come in inside that is where the wood has rotted on that side of the shed. I did look at new sheds but by the time you pay to have them erected it would cost probably about £5000 for that size at least. I paid £3000 for this shed 16 years ago so I reckon it can be resurrected but we will see….

Sarnia Sun 11-Jul-21 11:17:27

Try to catch up with George Clarke's Amazing Spaces. A programme all about people turning many things into extra space. Some excellent tips on refurbishing too.

LauraNorder Sun 11-Jul-21 11:19:25

Hope it works out for you. Look forward to some photos of your lovely new conversion.

jaylucy Sun 11-Jul-21 11:20:52

If you asked the man from the shed place to do certain jobs, that is what he will do - nothing more unless you have pointed out the damp etc in the first place.
I'd certainly get rid of it and start again - with proper things done to at least get rid of the damp underneath.

Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 11:39:03

jaylucy

If you asked the man from the shed place to do certain jobs, that is what he will do - nothing more unless you have pointed out the damp etc in the first place.
I'd certainly get rid of it and start again - with proper things done to at least get rid of the damp underneath.

I rang up his company initially explaining that I had an old shed I would like him to come and look and see if it was worth repairing, he said it was and had another 7 to 10 years life left of it but he failed to pick up the rot around the outside of the shed which I am pretty annoyed about but will triumph hopefully…. When he presents me with the final bill I’m intending to knock off the amount I have to spend on a carpenter to fix the rot

bikergran Sun 11-Jul-21 12:49:46

Ohh I would love a challenge like yours, I wish I had a shed to convert. I agree the cost of new shed similar would be in the £1000s like you say.

I have an image of what my shed would become if I had one ( no idea where I would put the stuff that's in it - - hmm--

I love DIY I have almost finished den/ climbing frame for gson, got to make the cargo net yet, did it from scratch made few mistakes but hey ho.

You go girl, you will be able to stand back n say " I did that" ?

Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 12:52:33

Thanks so much bikergran for your positivity, we have just cleared the shed my son had to go to the dump with a lot of stuff and other stuff has gone up in the loft I will take a picture and show you the interior along with the damp!?‍♀️ Lots to do but I’m up for the challenge

Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 12:54:33

Lucky grandson that looks splendid ,well done.????????

bikergran Sun 11-Jul-21 12:56:15

Excuse the rest of the garden, not got round to that bit, just to say the cost of new wood has at least doubled in price, I went over budget cost around £400 but to buy I reckon around £1000.

My image of a converted shed would be similar to this one.

bikergran Sun 11-Jul-21 12:58:21

Shinamae great your going for it. Keep us posted?

Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 13:02:47

The shed was originally built for my 16-year-old son who had been away for six months college in Norfolk, only having three bedrooms and another son and daughter I bought the shed, dry lined it,got the electricity to it and he even had sky out there at one point!! Anyway I am not a defeatist and a challenge is hardly a challenge unless it is hard so onward and upward!!!?

Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 13:06:35

bikergran

Excuse the rest of the garden, not got round to that bit, just to say the cost of new wood has at least doubled in price, I went over budget cost around £400 but to buy I reckon around £1000.

My image of a converted shed would be similar to this one.

Yes I know wood has gone ridiculously expensive but I still think it will work out cheaper to repair this one particularly as I have no back entrance to my property and them having to dismantle that shed, cart it all through the house.Then bringing a new one through and the amount they charge to errect it ?‍♀️ I think your shed is lovely BG… anyway time will tell…

Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 13:08:08

I think yours doesn’t look like a shed that looks like oasis of tranquillity….????????????

bikergran Sun 11-Jul-21 13:17:56

Lol its just in image I came across if I did have a shed.

Looking at your pics, I'm sure a joiner will help you along, A joiner can cut n splice even a good handyman. Good luck, it will look great when it's done, take some pics as you go. ?

Shinamae Sun 11-Jul-21 13:52:08

Well bikergran I’m sure you will get that “shed”one day…??