Gransnet forums

House and home

Silent electric fan heater?

(11 Posts)
MrsTagain Fri 30-Jul-21 17:59:31

I have an old fashioned wall mounted radiant gas fire. I don't have a proper fire place, only a purpose built flue, and the siting of the gas point makes it horrifically expensive to install a fireplace with modern inset gas fire. I keep thinking about having the gas fire removed, and a relatively inexpensive all-in-one electric fire place instead. However,the heat in these electric fireplaces is usually provided by a 2000 watt fan heater, and in my experience fan heaters tend to be noisy. (I already own a couple of cheap portable ones.) Can anyone here recommend a really quiet all-in -one unit?

Katie59 Fri 30-Jul-21 18:32:20

You need a modern infra red heater, no noise and only heats the objects that it reaches rather than the air, very efficient.
They even use them to heat churches, just during the services.

M0nica Sat 31-Jul-21 15:52:17

Move to electricity and your energy bill could double. Why not talk to Age UK about your problem, they probably know someone qualified who can advise you.

The best answer to your heating problem may lie with what sort of property you live in and how the rest of the property is heated. If you have central heating and the gas fire is just for top up, then an electric fire may not be too costly as it will not be on often. IF you live in a small flat and the gasfire is the main source of heating, then bills could be very expensive if you started using an electric heater instead.

Katie59 Sun 01-Aug-21 08:16:18

The difficulty is that having a new gas fire and flue installed is very expensive, in the long term it would be better value. If you are going to be using full price electric as your only heating it would be very expensive, used on chilly mornings or evenings when you main heating is off is OK not as main heating if you are at home all day.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Aug-21 08:57:32

I agree that a gas fire is much more economical than an electric form of heating.
We have a snug in which we had a gas fire, with a radiator on the wall. We hardly ever used the gas fire and when we did in the middle of winter it was only ever on 1/2 to 1.

This year we decided to change the very oldfashioned fire to a new one.

The snug is small 10x10 and we simply couldn’t get a gas fire that was suitable, so we have changed to one of those “fire effect” electric fires. It was fitted into the fireplace and is a good looking thing and almost entirely silent when we have tried it. We can have the benefit of the flame effect and no heat so a focal point.

If you absolutely have to have an electric fire you might like to look at one of those.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 01-Aug-21 09:07:16

Another factor for us is that electricity from a i totally renewable source is 100% better for the environment.

MrsTagain Sun 01-Aug-21 11:19:48

Thank you, people! I shall continue to chew it over.

cornishpatsy Sun 01-Aug-21 11:27:02

Gas boilers are banned from 2025. New builds do not have them so I think electric heating will become more efficient and economical too.

Katie59 Sun 01-Aug-21 19:49:03

cornishpatsy

Gas boilers are banned from 2025. New builds do not have them so I think electric heating will become more efficient and economical too.

The opposite actually, electric heating is already 100% efficient, it’s the houses that will be more efficient, better insulated less heat leaks.
Existing houses can still fit new gas boilers

SueDonim Sun 01-Aug-21 20:26:07

Gas boilers will still be permitted after 2025, as long as they are compatible with hydrogen as a fuel.

cornishpatsy Sun 01-Aug-21 20:40:59

Sorry, got that wrong that’s what comes of reading a headline and not the whole article.