Gransnet forums

House and home

As i type i have two young men replacing old plaster in my smallest bedroom. They putting up plaster board. Does anyone know when i

(17 Posts)
travelsafar Wed 04-Aug-21 14:07:36

As i type i have two young men replacing old plaster in my smallest bedroom. They putting up plaster board. Does anyone know when i will be able to get the decoraters in to paint these lovely new walls. I have waited so long for this work to be done and have new carpet being stored at the shop were i purchased it so really need the painting to be done asap.

SueDonim Wed 04-Aug-21 14:09:40

Decorators round here are booked up for months so it wouldn’t be happening any time soon! I’d phone a decorator and ask them.

Jaxjacky Wed 04-Aug-21 14:11:59

Assuming it’s being jointed and filled, as opposed to skimmed, after a few hours.

JaneJudge Wed 04-Aug-21 14:13:28

this is like one of my mums texts can you ask them as they will know better than we do

Katie59 Wed 04-Aug-21 14:23:18

Decorate in a few days, ask the builders doing the work they may even know a decorator to do it for you.

travelnan Wed 04-Aug-21 16:49:59

I want some decorating done and the two decorators who have give me quotes have both said they would be unable to start the work until November! I think you will find all good decorators are very busy.

tanith Wed 04-Aug-21 18:38:53

My decorator GS is booked up for the foreseeable but if the weather turns wet again he fits in small internal jobs when he can’t do external work you might be lucky as it’s only a small room probably done in a day.

varian Wed 04-Aug-21 18:44:37

It depends on the weather as the plaster needs to dry out and the availability of decorators - waiting for them to be available will probably take longer, whatever the weather.

Katie59 Wed 04-Aug-21 19:49:26

Skim on plasterboard dries very quickly.

H1954 Wed 04-Aug-21 19:53:44

I'm sure the young men will be able to advise you as to how long the skim will take to dry. It will also need a coat of watered down white matt emulsion before any other emulsion is painted on.

MawBe Wed 04-Aug-21 20:39:40

Are you asking us how long you can keep these two young men in your bedroom? ???

Katek Wed 04-Aug-21 20:44:56

You can pretty much paint plasterboard as soon as the joints are dry. Seems to be more used here in Scotland-we don’t tend to get walls plastered.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 04-Aug-21 20:48:55

Depends if you have to get a plasterer in first?

Shout through the keyhole and ask them.

travelsafar Wed 04-Aug-21 20:49:08

MawBe those days are over lol. But, they are two lovely young men,very polite and extremely neat and tidy whilst workingsmile

Whiff Wed 04-Aug-21 21:37:26

travelsafar when they put in new plasterboard it had to be skimmed with thin coat of plaster. That had to dry which took a couple of days. As it was warm. White emulsion put on once dry needed 3 coats of coloured emulsion as new plaster board and skim soak up the paint. You may have problem getting a decorator as they get booked up months in advance.

When I wanted my living room and hall decorated so I could get my decorator I booked him beginning of January to make sure to get him for the date I wanted in April.

Elrel Tue 10-Aug-21 15:57:55

What Katie59 said!

M0nica Tue 10-Aug-21 16:49:12

We are having an extension built, which has been plasterboarded. We then had plasters in who skimmed it and we were told to wait at least a fortnight before decorating.

In our case I am doing the decorating and I am currently painting the exterior brickwork of the extension to match the rest of the house. As we are risking a trip to France to our home there next week, I will not start decorating inside until September