Gransnet forums

House and home

Goodbye, G-Tech - so what next?

(59 Posts)
dahlia Sat 28-Aug-21 19:09:03

Our G-Tech is running out of steam, and we want to buy a new upright, chargeable hoover which will deal with carpets and hard surfaces, plus attachments for the stairs. Do you have any recommendations, please? Gransnet always gives me so much help!
Has anyone used a Halo sweeper? or is Dyson the preferred brand.
Thanking you in advance.

Casdon Sat 28-Aug-21 19:11:17

I’ve got a Shark rechargeable, and it’s not good on stairs, although used as an upright it’s good on the carpets generally.

welbeck Sat 28-Aug-21 19:13:13

Shark are reckoned to be v good.
but don't know a particular model.

tanith Sat 28-Aug-21 19:15:36

I love my Dyson rechargeable cordless it’s not upright though.

Blossoming Sat 28-Aug-21 19:15:50

I have a G-Tech Air Ram for wooden floors and carpets and the small hand held G-Tech for stairs. I love that the Air Ram lies almost flat to do under beds and sofas. Have had 2 Dysons, wouldn’t have another.

MerylStreep Sat 28-Aug-21 19:18:11

dahlia
How long have you had the machine? It could be that the battery needs replacing. They do take a pounding so just like a phone/ car battery they need replacing.
I will do that when mine feels as if it’s not doing it’s best.

GrandmaKT Sat 28-Aug-21 19:20:22

I've used a cordless GTech and Dyson and much prefer the GTech

busybeejay Sat 28-Aug-21 19:21:37

I have ditched my Dyson.Way too heavy.I have bought a G Tech and think it is brilliant.So easy to use and empty after a Dyson.

LauraNorder Sat 28-Aug-21 19:29:12

G-tech AirAm for me all day long. Charge last for ages, good suction and lovely light weight for carrying up and down stairs. As Meryl says, just replace the battery.

midgey Sat 28-Aug-21 19:47:21

I’m not advertising but would just mention that on the Martin Money Saving website there is an apparently excellent offer for a certain vacuum!

tickingbird Sat 28-Aug-21 19:54:38

I took advice from Which and bought the Dyson chargeable with all attachments. Pricey but 2 years on I have to say I love it.

Doodledog Sat 28-Aug-21 20:25:49

By a strange coincidence I have just ordered a G Tech stick vacuum and a separate handheld one for the stairs.

I've been looking between these, Shark and Vax ones for a while, and in the end chose the G Tech because the others have the handheld bit as part of the body, which I thought would make them heavier and less easy to push. Time will tell, I suppose - they are supposed to be arriving on Monday.

MaizieD Sat 28-Aug-21 20:41:44

I love my G-Tech and would get another if it died. I've had to use their customer service twice and they are excellent. The first time a faulty part needed replacing and they were most apologetic that it would take 2 days instead of 1 to send it to me as they were stocktaking!

They are simple machines and any part can be easily replaced, even the 'body'. Cheaper than buying a new vacuum if all that's needed is a replacement part. (No, I don't work for them wink )

Sadly the hand held machine got irreparably broken, but I have a small (corded) Vax that does stairs and crevices.

BlueSapphire Sat 28-Aug-21 21:10:52

Love my Shark cordless, the Pet Liftaway, and it's brilliant on stairs!

toscalily Sat 28-Aug-21 21:50:28

We have a G Tech upright & the hand held, plus an old miele. I like the G Tech upright, great for hard floors & carpet but the handheld mainly bought to use on the stairs and for the car I don't find so easy or quite so efficient. I find the old miele better for the stairs although it is a little bit more of a faff to use. We had a Dyson, far too heavy for me we gave it to a relative.

Gwyneth Sat 28-Aug-21 21:59:12

I’m also looking to buy a new vacuum cleaner so can I please ask those who have a G Tech how good is it with pet hair? I need a cleaner that is not too heavy as I have two sets of stairs but it must pick up the pet hair from carpets.

Doodledog Sat 28-Aug-21 22:38:13

Gwyneth

I’m also looking to buy a new vacuum cleaner so can I please ask those who have a G Tech how good is it with pet hair? I need a cleaner that is not too heavy as I have two sets of stairs but it must pick up the pet hair from carpets.

I can let you know on Monday, if no-one else gets in first. I don't have a live-in pet, but my daughter's dog visits.

Chewbacca Sat 28-Aug-21 22:47:46

Watching with interest. My Dyson Animal weighs a ton and I hate dragging it up the stairs, step by step.

Gwyneth Sun 29-Aug-21 07:21:18

Thank you doodledog much appreciated. You seem to have the same problem chewbacca.

Whatdayisit Sun 29-Aug-21 08:00:27

I have used a number of cordless and found GTech better than Dyson. But I plumped for a Dyson this year on QVC 5x easy pay and the newer dyson models are better than the older ones - they are improved.
So I would recommend Dyson but I'm not sure why you aren't getting another GTech?

Have to say as a cleaner I had to use a hefty for years at someone's house. When they moved the next person had a dyson and wow I felt like it had picked up 15 years of dust even though I know the carpets had been vacced every week.

Gingster Sun 29-Aug-21 08:03:51

I love my G tech air ram too. I have one here and one at my cottage by the sea, . G tech are very good if something goes wrong. They replace parts or offer you a new one at discount. Got mine the very next day. ?

Doodledog Mon 30-Aug-21 16:30:56

Mine has arrived. The batterie on both had a roughly 50% charge, and I have vacuumed the sitting room to see how they work.

I was surprised and a bit embarrassed to see how much dust came off the carpet, as it was done on Friday, but in the long run that's a good sign. I haven't done the stairs yet, but I tried out the handheld one around the edges of the coffee table, and picked up more dust there.

My sofas and coffee table are all very heavy and have 'feet' rather than 'legs', so are low, and the Air ram doesn't fit under any of them. I can't say I expected it to, but it would have been good if it had.

The lights on the front might prove to be a useful feature, but I don't usually vacuum in the dark, and I guess they will drain the battery, so maybe they are more for style than substance - although Gwyneth, they might illuminate dark hairs on a dark carpet, or light on light.

So, early days, but so far I'm pleased with it. It would have been useful if the hand held one had come with an accessories bag, though - you can send off for a 'home and car kit' for an extra £25, and I think that this should have been included.

Shinamae Mon 30-Aug-21 16:36:03

I had a Dyson for many many years, from the corded one to cordless but now I have a halo cleaner and would never go back to Dyson, I love the Halo…

MaizieD Mon 30-Aug-21 17:46:57

The lights on the front might prove to be a useful feature, but I don't usually vacuum in the dark,

That's what I thought, Doodle, but it's quite useful for dark, or even just dim, corners. I don't think it uses much battery power. My battery seems to last for a reasonable time.

Doodledog Mon 30-Aug-21 18:09:42

Ah, thanks, Maisie. Did you get the accessory kit, and if so, was it worth it?