Gransnet forums

House and home

Best type of floor for elderly bedroom?

(9 Posts)
GrandNanna Fri 17-Sep-21 22:54:13

Please can anyone advise the best type of floor for my living room. I am disabled and have my hospital bed downstairs in the living room. Am at risk of falls so don't want too hard a floor, spills and incontinence so carpet not easy to keep clean, I live alone. My health is getting worse and I need to get rid of the current thick carpet which is unsuitable. Would be grateful for any advice, many thanks.

Hetty58 Fri 17-Sep-21 22:59:27

I would go for sealed cork or rubber flooring, both are washable, non-slip, warm underfoot and a little softer than other hard floors.

CanadianGran Fri 17-Sep-21 23:04:34

I would plan linoleum or vinyl plank flooring. It is not too expensive, is easily cleaned, and you can roll over it easily with a walker or wheelchair. Make sure the transition between rooms is smooth if you are having new flooring installed in only one room.

If you are doing some renovations, you might also look at having extra safety devices installed. I am not in the UK, but there are usually agencies that can have a look around your home and advise on safely issues for the handicapped., as well as helping to set up any other needs for personal care.

All the best to you, keep us posted on your updates.

GrandNanna Fri 17-Sep-21 23:10:36

Thank you very much Hetty58 and CanadianGran, I will do some research on your suggestions

Hithere Sat 18-Sep-21 00:07:27

Luxury vinyl floor would fit your needs

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Sep-21 01:17:15

Marmoleum is nice, hygienic and easy to clean but it is expensive compared to vinyl.
It's the "modern" take on lino, used in hospitals and would be a practical and attractive option.

Grammaretto Sat 18-Sep-21 01:27:37

Marmoleum is lovely if you can afford it. I would agree about keeping the levels smooth between rooms to avoid trip hazards.
Can you have a check from an occupational therapist?

Charleygirl5 Sat 18-Sep-21 09:33:06

I have laminate flooring in my bedroom and in the living room downstairs and in the remaining two bedrooms I had luxury vinyl laid and it would be difficult to tell the difference. This was mainly for the time I had a cat who had a habit of vomiting and it was so easy to clear up.
It was handy post TKR when I was using crutches but a Zimmer frame at night for safety if I went to the loo.

GrandNanna Sat 18-Sep-21 15:57:24

Thanks for your suggestions everyone, I now need to follow them up and decide which to get, I'll probably wait till after my Covid booster before getting any new flooring so I have some time to think about it.