Gransnet forums

House and home

Replacing bath with shower

(7 Posts)
Kamiso Sun 19-Sep-21 16:59:28

We’ve been looking at replacing one of the baths with a walk in shower in our new flat. Has anyone got any idea of the likely cost. I know the cost will vary but just wanted to get a rough idea before contacting the companies and getting swamped with sales promotions etc etc.

Will be grateful for the help.

Sar53 Sun 19-Sep-21 17:41:11

We did this about 3 years ago. Total revamp of bathroom, removed bath, replaced it with large shower. The whole room is tiled.
From memory it was about 7/8 thousand.
Well worth it to us.

NotSpaghetti Sun 19-Sep-21 17:53:51

My mother-in-law had this done 2 years ago. She is fully tiled and had new everything. It was about £4,000 I believe.
A local builder organised it all and gave her only a few (but nice) choices.

I think if she'd said I want to do it for £x he would have done it.

Josianne Sun 19-Sep-21 18:11:36

2020 similar job as you describe

SpringyChicken Sun 19-Sep-21 18:12:26

After scouring the showrooms for ideas, ask your plumber for a quote. Ours did everything including the tiling for about £6k. It seemed expensive but it was done in less than a week and he did a great job. He had plasterer and electrician contacts so coordinated all that for us too and arranged for all the building waste to be collected.

Whiff Mon 20-Sep-21 12:30:03

Don't use a big brand company. My decorator put in touch with a father and son team who do home improvements. They did my kitchen, shower room , new inter doors etc.

He told me where to get the tiles shower etc from it was a trade place he let me have his discount. I saved over £3,000. Also if you are having the bathroom made into a shower room for health reasons you can claim the VAT back on fittings not tiles or workman ship. It has to be fitted by tradesman to get it back I had £550 .

Ask around for recommendations from anyone local who has it done. Also make sure they do everything, plumbing,electrics,tiling etc.

My friend didn't do that and had to organise electrician,plumber ,plasterer and tiler herself. Cost a fortune.

Kamiso Tue 21-Sep-21 12:44:26

Thanks for the information. It will come in useful. The removal company are packing up the house as I type. Sitting in the garden and keeping out of the way!