Gransnet forums

House and home

Stressful moving home problems.

(15 Posts)
Grandmabeach Sun 19-Sep-21 18:56:34

We were due to exchange on the sale of our home last Friday with completion on the 24th. Will not bore you with the details but, through no fault of our own, this did not go ahead so we cancelled our Removers.
Our buyer's solicitor now wants to exchange and complete on the 30th. It seems hundreds of people are trying to do that to save £2,500 on Stamp Duty. We have spent two days calling Removal companies but now can not find anyone who can move us that day or even put our belongings in storage during the next 10 days.
If we delay completion beyond the 30th both ourselves and buyers will loose out on the Stamp Duty. It will be a second home for them so I imagine they are not so desperate to move in.
Has anyone made an arrangement to stay in their house after completion? I am thinking we could 'rent' it for one or two weeks until we can find a Removal Company. It is not a problem the other end as it is a new property.

NotSpaghetti Sun 19-Sep-21 19:02:36

My son did this recently in America. He had a proper contract drawn up. He stayed for 3 weeks I think.

Peasblossom Sun 19-Sep-21 19:21:43

I DNR think actual “renting” is a possibility because of all the legal requirements of being a landlord. Financially and in terms carrying out all the legal checks it wouldn’t be viable.

However, I once had to stay on a property after completion when the 1987 hurricane hit on the day of removal. Everybody in the chain had to sign a Solemn Declaration that they would move out when required. Which was only three days later but we still all stayed in our homes so it must be possible.?

Peasblossom Sun 19-Sep-21 19:22:11

don’t not DNR

?

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 19-Sep-21 19:29:51

Your buyers can’t do this if they are getting a mortgage. They have to have vacant possession. And the insurance would be invalidated if the insurer wasn’t told about the arrangement.

MerylStreep Sun 19-Sep-21 19:34:02

Desperate ‘times call for desperate measures.
How big a family and friends do you have?
How much stuff are you moving: 2/3/ 4 bed house/ bungalow?
In your situation I would be looking at friends and family to muck in.
Obviously hiring suitable vehicle.

Grandmabeach Sun 19-Sep-21 20:29:38

Germanshepherdsmum

Your buyers can’t do this if they are getting a mortgage. They have to have vacant possession. And the insurance would be invalidated if the insurer wasn’t told about the arrangement.

They are cash buyers so not a problem.

Grandmabeach Sun 19-Sep-21 20:35:47

MerylStreep

Desperate ‘times call for desperate measures.
How big a family and friends do you have?
How much stuff are you moving: 2/3/ 4 bed house/ bungalow?
In your situation I would be looking at friends and family to muck in.
Obviously hiring suitable vehicle.

Friends and family all in 70's and son still receiving physio for torn rotary cuff in shoulder. We would have gone down that route if it was a possibility.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 19-Sep-21 21:33:35

Your Solicitor should be answering this question, it will be legally complicated to say the least

Grandmabeach Sun 19-Sep-21 22:54:59

Oopsadaisy1

Your Solicitor should be answering this question, it will be legally complicated to say the least

We will be speaking to our Solicitor first thing on Monday. Was just wondering if anyone else had found themselves in this position.
We have moved home 7 times before but this is definitely the most stressful move.

V3ra Sun 19-Sep-21 23:09:15

My Dad did it the other way round: moved into an empty flat he was buying (for cash) and paid rent to the owner while the purchase went through.

Don't know if that helps or if Germanshepherdsmum has any thoughts about it?

Newquay Mon 20-Sep-21 09:11:42

Speak to solicitor!

Katek Mon 20-Sep-21 09:14:59

Man/men and van and self storage unit perhaps??

Grandmabeach Mon 20-Sep-21 11:08:51

Newquay DH still trying to get through to our solicitor this morning about our options. With the benefit of hindsight we should have stayed with our original plan of moving out on 24th and got the Removal company to move our belongings to a storage unit closer to our new home (80 miles away). Seems any Removal Company within a couple of hundred miles from us are all fully booked.
Katek - also tried that route but don't feel confident that the ones that have availability will look after our antiques and valuables.

Newquay Tue 28-Sep-21 09:12:27

Hope you’re sorted out by now?