Gransnet forums

House and home

Armchair / sofa tables?

(11 Posts)
Rosiebee Tue 19-Oct-21 15:28:59

For many years I have used a tray that sits on the arm of my sofa to hold my laptop / meal tray etc. My back has had enough of me sitting twisted sideways - usually with one leg tucked under and is continually complaining. I need to sit and work or eat meals, facing forward. [We do eat most meals at the table.] Must bite the bullet and look for an adjustable height table with a base that slides under the sofa. Or one that swivels round. Any suggestions on where to look, or recommendations, really appreciated. Thanks.

Auntieflo Tue 19-Oct-21 15:52:47

How about something like this? Lots of choice on A....n

M0nica Tue 19-Oct-21 16:16:47

Also ebay.

Jaxjacky Tue 19-Oct-21 16:50:04

Oh Rosiebee I sit like that, right leg slung over the arm, left one tucked up. iPad balanced on bent left knee, I know it’s bad, as my left elbow will attest. It’s comfortable, until it isn’t if you know what I mean.
I need to sit straighter, not angled.

Callistemon Tue 19-Oct-21 17:09:09

iPad balanced on bent left knee, I know it’s bad, as my left elbow will attest.

Perhaps that's why I have tennis elbow Jaxjacky (I thought it was from crocheting or knitting)

kittylester Tue 19-Oct-21 19:51:00

www.oakworld.co.uk/shop/coffee-tables/ultimate-storage-coffee-table-espresso-self-assembly/

How about this?

Callistemon Tue 19-Oct-21 20:05:40

Hank you, DH needs one, kittylester!

I had a moan to SisIL about the amount of 'stuff' around his chair and she said that BIL is just the same.
It must be genetic.

Callistemon Tue 19-Oct-21 20:06:26

Thank you.

I sound like DGS when he was 15 months old.
Hank yew
?

Blossoming Tue 19-Oct-21 20:49:23

I rest my iPad on my knees on my iBeani and have a lap tray for meals.

I got my iBeani when having cancer treatment, loads of places sell them, they’re about £20 but I’m sure they would be easy to make for any sewing Grans smile

GrannySomerset Wed 20-Oct-21 19:04:36

We still have in use when needed a table similar to the one posted by Auntie Flo. It was bought by DH as a new undergraduate in 1956 as his student room had no desk and is distinctly battle worn but still works perfectly. It has been used for invalids both in bed or stuck in a chair, used as a bedside table by a student child and is still in residence in the garage awaiting the next call.

Rosiebee Mon 25-Oct-21 13:41:31

Thanks for all replies. I am writing this from my Laptop which is sitting very nicely on my "old dear" table, care of A****n.
DH kept offering to bring me a cup of cocoa and my tablets - I don't drink cocoa and am not on any tablets! I really worried that getting a little table would be the first step on the slippery slope to being elderly when in actual fact it just does a job and keeps me sitting upright instead of at an awkward angle. Should have got one sooner.