Gransnet forums

House and home

Picture pins v Command strips

(15 Posts)
merlotgran Thu 25-Nov-21 15:18:22

I've been in my new home for a month and am looking forward to hanging my pictures now all the decorating is coming to an end.

I've always used picture pins in the past but I'm worried that my dubious hammer skills might result in some damage to the walls.

DD swears by command strips so I've been on YouTube to look at some instruction videos and have sent for a pack from Amazon. They are not cheap, especially for larger frames!

Has anyone used command strips and how do they compare with picture pins?

Alegrias1 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:52:41

I use these strips for almost everything nowadays merlotgran. I've found them to be very effective, they do just what they say on the tin and they really do come way without leaving any marks.

mokryna Thu 25-Nov-21 16:07:02

My neighbour uses them, I heard the crash of his mirror …

Rosie51 Thu 25-Nov-21 16:11:02

You need to follow the instructions to the letter and make sure you're using the correct size. I mostly use the clear plastic hooks they do and have never had one fail. As Alegrias says, they do remove without leaving a mark.

Visgir1 Thu 25-Nov-21 16:12:32

Rosie51

You need to follow the instructions to the letter and make sure you're using the correct size. I mostly use the clear plastic hooks they do and have never had one fail. As Alegrias says, they do remove without leaving a mark.

Definitely use correct size for weight. Works a treat.

Peasblossom Thu 25-Nov-21 16:14:13

I use them for all my pictures, even the big ones. I like that my pictures sit flat on the wall, not that slight hanging away that you get with a hook.

I have put a couple extra to the recommended weight on the heavier pictures.

But that’s me. Belt and braces?

BlueBelle Thu 25-Nov-21 16:26:15

I ve had no luck with them and thought I d followed the correct instructions

Elless Thu 25-Nov-21 17:00:45

Always use them. They have special ones for hanging canvas prints if they are what you're hanging. Expensive though.

merlotgran Thu 25-Nov-21 17:05:13

Thanks, everyone. My large mirror is going over the fireplace but should be OK because it will rest on the mantlepiece so the strips won't have to bear the weight, just hold it in place. I'll definitely need help putting it in position so DGS should be easy to bribe with Sunday Lunch grin

I also like the idea of pictures being flat on the wall and not having to straighten them now and again.

I'll make sure I weigh everything and if in doubt I'll use an extra couple of strips.

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 17:12:33

BlueBelle

I ve had no luck with them and thought I d followed the correct instructions

Thank goodness the one that fell off the wall on to DGD was only a light canvas picture.
I thought I'd followed the instructions properly too.
In fact I know I did.

I'd use a hammer and picture hooks.

BBbevan Thu 25-Nov-21 17:51:55

We hang all our paintings with picture brackets. Flat to the wall and very secure

merlotgran Thu 25-Nov-21 23:33:22

Picture brackets??

Elspeth45 Fri 26-Nov-21 02:51:13

I use the Command Velcro tabs, they are great and easy to use.

BBbevan Fri 26-Nov-21 12:25:38

merlotgran they are small metal things that screw to the back of a frame or stretcher. They protrude a little and have a hole for screwing to the wall.

bikergran Sat 27-Nov-21 03:09:36

What I found when using the command velcro hooks was.... that when you hang the picture/photo you have to really press it against the velcro on the wall and the velcro on the back of the pic/photo until it makes that strong connection, you can feel it gripping each other.