Gransnet forums

House and home

Electric carving knife

(10 Posts)
BexSpalding Sun 28-Nov-21 21:06:44

Has anyone purchased an electric carving knife lately? Read the reviews and my goodness they’re mixed! Recommendations please.

Carenza123 Tue 30-Nov-21 06:30:48

Hi, I have not purchased an electric carving knife lately but I have had one for many years and would thoroughly recommend getting one. I have difficulty in slicing bread etc using a normal knife and in particular slicing meat (slices come out wonky), so I find I have more control with an electric knife. Hope this helps.

JackyB Tue 30-Nov-21 09:03:50

This is a duplicate thread. Let's stick with the other one.

www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1303837-Electric-carving-knives?msgid=29065837#29065837

cc Mon 06-Dec-21 12:09:44

I've had one in the past and didn't find it as useful as I'd expected. I find a sharp knive works just as well, provided the meat has been "rested". The electric knife was serrated and ripped the meat appart rather than sliced it finely.#
I now have a (manual) meal slicer, one of those with a handle you turn whilst you push the meat through, and it is really great. I mainly use it for cold meat, though it works well for boneless hot joints too.

Greciangirl Mon 06-Dec-21 15:06:25

I had one of these in the 1980’s.

From what I remember, it was very useful.

I don’t need one now, so haven’t bothered buying another one.

Katie59 Mon 06-Dec-21 18:07:43

Electric carving knives are heavy noisy and awkward but do have novelty value.
Buy a simple knife sharpener that sticks to a work surface, a sharp knife is far better.

masonlarson Sun 10-Apr-22 20:12:39

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

downtoearth Mon 11-Apr-22 07:02:44

Reported

Franbern Mon 11-Apr-22 08:49:30

OMG Nostalgia for me here. Back in the late 1960's hubbie won an electric knive. Gave us a wonderful feeling of modernity when we used it, with a flourish when we had guests!!!!

Of course, back in those days we always had a joint of meat each Sunday!!! Usually leg of lamb. Think, these days, I would need a second mortgage to purchase one of those!!!!

Cannot think I would have use for one these days, no joints of meat, sliced bread usually purchased. Anyway, so much easier to have really good quality sharp knives now, and easy to use sharpeners.

Floradora9 Mon 11-Apr-22 16:06:21

I like mine but for one fact ....it is designed for a right handed person . The flex comes out of the left hand side of the body of the knife so I have to tuck it in somewhere to adoid cutting through it .