Gransnet forums

House and home

Soup maker

(74 Posts)
tiredoldwoman Fri 14-Jan-22 04:28:41

I received a Morphy Richards soup maker for Christmas and used it for the first time yesterday . What fun - homemade soup in 21 minutes . I usually make enough for an army in a 1940's pot but this neatly delivered enough for 4 servings !
Going to play with it over the weekend again to get more acquainted . Anyone else got one ?

Esspee Fri 14-Jan-22 07:16:25

I have one that I used once when giving a cookery class. It has been in the cupboard ever since I’m afraid. I like making mine the old fashioned way and if I need to blend it I use my trusty £10 hand blender. Anything that encourages soup making is good though. Easy healthy food with the chance to use up all the leftover veg.

Jalyn Fri 14-Jan-22 07:25:51

I have had a Morphy Richards soup maker for some years and use it regularly. I love it and use it a couple of times a week to make lunchtime soups. Sometimes I use leftover veg, add stock cube and lentils and 21 mins later have a batch of soup that will last a few days or can be frozen. Other times I will make specific soups such as leek and potato, broccoli and blue cheese. This week I have made the aforementioned veg soup and a tomato and lentil soup. So quick and simple to use and clean and one of my favourite kitchen appliances. Hope you continue to enjoy it.

mumofmadboys Fri 14-Jan-22 07:41:51

I have a MR one and love it. Use it about twice a week in winter. I bought it after I read about it on GN. I agree one of my best kitchen gadgets. Enjoy tiredoldwoman!

Sago Fri 14-Jan-22 07:51:21

Me too for the old fashioned way, just a pan and some grease proof paper to make a cartouche.

I’ve never understood bread makers either, I started my bread off this morning as I boiled the kettle for tea, it takes less than 5 minutes.

Daisymae Fri 14-Jan-22 08:24:24

Yes, I had one just before Christmas. Really like it. The soup is excellent. Current favourite is red pepper and tomato. A good buy and excellent results with a minimum of fuss.

Daisymae Fri 14-Jan-22 08:26:22

I have a bread maker too, pop everything in the night before and wake up to fresh bread. It must take more than 5 mins by hand as you obviously have to knead, prove and knead again?

M0nica Fri 14-Jan-22 08:40:00

I was convinced of the joys of a soup maker and got one, but did not get on with it. Everything had to be too precisiely measured and veg chopped to finely for my hurl it in a saucepan and cook for 20 minute methods. I like chunky stew type soups. We had one last night made from root veg dug up from the garden.

When the element went after a few weeks I retuned it to the shop and got my money back.

As for breadmakers, We have a wonderful local artisan baker just a wander down the road, offering a such a wide range of breadsand rolls, making my own would be superfluous.

To be honest, I avoid superfluous gadgets in the kitchen, whether kitchen drawer clutter or worktop and those I have have to earn their keep. I have 50 year old Kenwood mixer, that I use constantly, an electric hand whisk inherted from my father and a pottery slow cooker, that is probably 40 years old, also inherited from a relation. The jury is still out on my air fryer. It makes excellent pommes parmentier, but I have yet to discover other things it does that cannot be done on griddle, in oven or the microwave., although DD swears by hers.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 14-Jan-22 08:49:40

Yes I use it all the time. When not in use it sits in a cupboard and out if sight. I like clean surfaces in my kitchen.

I have always made a lot of soup. An excellent way of using surplus vegetables. I freeze the excess.

Franbern Fri 14-Jan-22 09:24:29

Following a long thread on these in the Food Section of GN. I purchased a small (Compact one). I do use it - but TBH when it dies will not replace it. My old 'in the saucepan' and stick blender method is just as easy.

I do use this in the winter a good number of times. Useful, as I put everything ready in it before I go off to one of my groups in morning, and as I walk through the door when I return at lunch time, I switch it on. By the time, I have got my coat, etc off, sorted out my bag, warmed up a roll - it is ready to eat.

Think they would be useful gadget for students, and may encourage them to eat a healthy meal occasionally.

Beauregard Fri 14-Jan-22 09:33:01

I've had four soup makers in the last few years and loved them - while they lasted! Unfortunately each one broke down after a year or two (not used that much either), so I've given up with them now and have gone back to a saucepan and blender.

Paperbackwriter Sun 16-Jan-22 10:40:26

Daisymae

I have a bread maker too, pop everything in the night before and wake up to fresh bread. It must take more than 5 mins by hand as you obviously have to knead, prove and knead again?

The time and the kneading and proving are surely the delights of making bread? I don't do it very often but when I do, I find it a gloriously satisfying tactile experience. I'm sure bunging the ingredients in a machine gives a good loaf but where is the connection with the true stuff of life?

Tattooedfidelma Sun 16-Jan-22 10:40:53

My soup maker and slow cooker are used constantly in our house. I look back and wonder how I ever managed without them. Chuck everything in and turn on. Fantastic!!!

Nannashirlz Sun 16-Jan-22 10:41:27

I’ve got a ninja soup maker. Because I felt I wasn’t eating plenty of vegetables. Or fruit so I now have homework soup in 20mins much more taste than tin soup and I no what’s in it. I freeze what I don’t eat for a new day and I also do fruit smoothies or turn them into ice lolly’s for summer for myself and grandkids.

BlueRuby Sun 16-Jan-22 10:42:20

I've got the MR soup maker and use it regularly. Definitely one of the better kitchen gadgets :-)

JaneJudge Sun 16-Jan-22 10:46:09

Inspired by this thread I am going to make soup (in a pan) and bread in my breadmaker smile

hicaz46 Sun 16-Jan-22 10:53:18

I’m with the tried and trusted method of saucepan, chopping board and blender. I don’t need another one use gadget sitting in my cupboards.

moobox Sun 16-Jan-22 10:54:52

The first day of the original lockdown I ordered a Ninja, ready for our wartime footing.

nipsmum Sun 16-Jan-22 11:09:42

I got one for Christmas. I usually make soup for Scotland, but it takes time. The soup maker is quick easy and makes delicious soup too. 4 portions is certainly enough for 1

SachaMac Sun 16-Jan-22 11:19:34

I’ve had my Morphy Richards soup maker for about two years and love it, that & my Tassimo coffee machine are my favourite kitchen gadgets. My air fryer however is shoved in a cupboard (taking loads of room up) and is barely used now. Ive recommend the soup maker to friends and family and they are all very impressed too. Favourites are roaster red pepper and butternut squash and Broccoli and Stilton.

rosieod1 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:19:39

After my second MR soup maker packed up I went back to the old fashioned way of making it in a large pan and blend with a stick blender if I want smooth soup. I use my breadmaker for making the dough,then shape and bake it in the oven or make rolls,saves having to knead which I can't do any more

AlpineGranny Sun 16-Jan-22 11:24:19

Yes I have the Lakeland one. I love it. I just bung in veg onion stock herbs and usually a lump of butter. I make for 4 and always freeze half.

Dorado Sun 16-Jan-22 11:39:08

I have the Lakeland one, too - wouldn’t be without it! Economical, healthy and very tasty!

kangaroo73 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:39:46

How does it differ from making your own? I just use a pan and hand blender which is easy enough.

Riggie Sun 16-Jan-22 11:48:50

Had one for years and love it. Used at least a couple of times a week in winter. I throw in veg, water and then put my stock cubes (I don't crumble) and any flavourings and turn on.

A bit broke off my old one so we have downsized to the compact version which is 19 minutes for blended soup!!

Less faff and washing up than doing it in a pan, although there are some soups I do still use a pan for.