Gransnet forums

House and home

Living on a cruise ship

(66 Posts)
Gingster Mon 17-Jan-22 07:50:53

Has anyone ever thought about this?
I’ve been reading up on it and it sounds ‘just the job’.
Cheaper than care homes and everything there for you.

Spice101 Mon 17-Jan-22 07:57:19

Might be all right if you had no medical issues. Having needed to seek medical treatment on a cruise I would not like to have any serious issues.

BlueBelle Mon 17-Jan-22 08:02:55

Can’t think of anything worse
It has been discussed quite a bit on the thread about care homes in Thailand

Hetty58 Mon 17-Jan-22 08:13:23

I've worked out that I could go on that lovely 9 month cruise (mentioned on the Thailand thread) - and make a profit too - simply by letting out my house in London - winner!

Just the thought of it - no shopping, cleaning, laundry, maintenance etc. along with good food, entertainment, a changing view, sightseeing, swimming, gym, sauna (if/when I feel like it) - I'd have a brilliant time!

Hetty58 Mon 17-Jan-22 08:27:47

Oh - and some sunshine too! I feel in need of warmth and sun right now.

My younger son went to work in Australia on a six month contract (our winter, their summer) so had three summers in a row - and felt 'wonderful'. He spent a lot of time there just surfing at Bondi beach.

I think you'd need to be in reasonable health and stable, though, to enjoy it - as nothing's fun if you're poorly.

Esspee Mon 17-Jan-22 08:28:08

It would be like living in a Petrie dish.

I understand the attraction having been on quite a few cruises in the past but now we know how infections thrive in the close confines of a ship why do people want to risk being confined to their cabin 24 hours a day breathing recirculated air while the ship is denied docking due to illness on board?

Hetty58 Mon 17-Jan-22 08:45:50

Esspee, post-Covid, of course - and yes, norovirus is a potential problem on board.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 17-Jan-22 09:17:31

Gingster I am going on my first cruise this year, I did stipulate to DH that I would only go if we had a suite and a balcony, which we have.

Will let you know on my return…

Kali2 Mon 17-Jan-22 09:20:02

I can't bear the thought of one week on a cruise ship- so a big NO for me.

MerylStreep Mon 17-Jan-22 09:26:43

I can honestly say that we spent more time on our balcony than any other part of the ship.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 17-Jan-22 09:32:59

I would love to go on a long cruise but OH gets very seasick. He can cope with Nile cruises and we are about to book a river cruise in Europe.

Gingster Mon 17-Jan-22 10:44:42

Six years ago dh and I did the World Cruise - 4 months. It was wonderful!
GG I’m sure you will enjoy your first cruise, especially with your suite and balcony. How luxurious! ?
Whats not to like?
All your laundry done for you.
Lovely restaurants, entertainment with london -class shows every evening, speakers (we had many including Ann widdicomb) and lectures. Classes in all things , art, bridge, golf, craft, singing . And waking up in another beautiful country every few days. I could go on and on.

The downside of living on a cruise ship would be if you needed hospital treatment. They have doctors and nurses on board of course but not equipped for serious health issues.

Hetty58 Mon 17-Jan-22 10:51:56

I get horribly seasick - yet still find my sea legs after a few days. Of course, some seas, like the Med, are generally calmer than around the UK. I remember being violently sick down my husband's back - on the way to the cabin - going to Sweden!

GillT57 Mon 17-Jan-22 11:16:09

Hetty58

Esspee, post-Covid, of course - and yes, norovirus is a potential problem on board.

no more than in hotels, and far less than in care homes.

aonk Mon 17-Jan-22 11:37:07

I agree about the medical issues although I’m otherwise a fan of cruises. I became unwell on a cruise ship a few years ago. There were 2 doctors and 2 nurses on board. I had excellent treatment and they kept an eye on me for the rest of the trip. They’re very keen (desperate really) to get you to sign a disclaimer. They wanted me to go to hospital. It wasn’t necessary and I refused hence the disclaimer. After that I had excellent treatment. My GP confirmed this after I got home. They have very good facilities but it’s really for minor illnesses or emergencies when the ship is nowhere near a hospital.

Hetty58 Mon 17-Jan-22 11:41:41

GillT57, yes there was 'suspected' norovirus in Mum's home - later confirmed as clear - and all residents were confined to their rooms for a week - miserable time.

Riverwalk Mon 17-Jan-22 12:29:11

An American friend used to cruise on US lines that provided renal dialysis for her late husband.

Petalpop Tue 18-Jan-22 10:40:32

My idea of hell

Pinkshoes26 Tue 18-Jan-22 10:54:19

Yes, I have watched a few u tube’s on Supper Mario. Been on a two week cruise. I would def. want a balcony, they are so useful in having a view and your own space. I would like another cruise but not as a full time resident. The shows would be repeated each week. The food is generous and would be easy to put on weight. The staff are helpful and kind. I would miss family and grandchildren.

DiscoDancer1975 Tue 18-Jan-22 11:09:54

No, I wouldn’t. Neighbours you’ve no chance of getting away from!?. I always think they’re such easy targets for just about everything. Terrorists....awful weather....viruses of course.

No, just firm land for me thank you.

pce612 Tue 18-Jan-22 11:20:50

Cruise ships are very polluting. So a no from me.

benhamslc Tue 18-Jan-22 11:22:16

Husband unfortunately needed to see doctor on cruise and the first thing they asked for was a credit card, was treated fine by doctors and nurses

Bijou Tue 18-Jan-22 11:22:59

No thank you! I like grass under my feet and the countryside.

Kali2 Tue 18-Jan-22 11:27:20

Petalpop

My idea of hell

Indeed. No-one has mentionned the human aspect. People come and go on cruises, 1 week, 2 weeks, perhaps 3- and then they are off. So making real friends would be impossible.

Juicylucy Tue 18-Jan-22 11:28:23

I know lots of people love cruising, but it would be my worst nightmare, not for me I’m afraid, I couldn’t do a week let alone live on it. But I know it’s very popular.