Gransnet forums

House and home

Where to move to ??

(27 Posts)
CarlyD7 Wed 19-Jan-22 15:47:18

We are both in our 60s and have lived in the house where we brought up our 2 boys for over 30 years. Now, we both really feel that it's time for a change for many reasons - it's too big for us now; 2 couples we were close to have both moved long distances away to be nearer to AC and GC, plus the area is going downhill. And, most importantly, we want a Change! However, unlike others, we cannot move nearer to either son - one because he's in Australia, and one because his wife really doesn't like us (they've moved closer to HER parents). It also means that we hardly ever see our grandchildren (I've given up hope of this ever changing). BUT, we are lost about how to choose somewhere to move to. The only other relative we have is my SIL but they live in a very expensive area where we couldn't even afford a shoebox, and anyway, we're not close. We don't want to stay in our current town (as it really is deteriorating) and so it's time to be brave and have a Last Adventure, but where? Anyone-else done this (and not moved to be nearer to AC) and how did you choose where to move to? Any advice? Thanks.

Grandmabatty Wed 19-Jan-22 15:58:19

List places/towns that you would want to live in. List what kind of home you would want with number of rooms etc. Do this individually then cross check and decide what you would compromise on. Check Rightmove for prices and availability. Check for amenities such as shops, doctors, nearest hospital, close to bus or trains etc. Think about weather if you are planning on moving quite a distance. Can you cope with heat or cold? Do you want a garden or are you thinking about an apartment? Some people suggest renting in a place for six months to get a feel for it. Unfortunately nowadays that's not so easy. I moved four miles from the house I brought up my two children. It wasn't a big distance but it was a very different area and took me a while to settle in. Be open minded and look at areas and houses that are maybe not what you would have chosen. I had discounted a semi detached bungalow as I've lived in detached houses for decades, however the bungalow I bought is a semi but very private from next door neighbour.

Coastpath Wed 19-Jan-22 16:09:42

We moved out of the city to live in a small coastal town in 2019. We knew the new area well as we'd been visiting on holidays for decades and so we knew we loved it here.

We do love the countryside, the sea and the small town vibe, but it has been is a big upheaval and it's not overly easy to make new friends - this has obviously been made much worse by the Covid restrictions of course. It's much quieter here and if I'm honest, whilst we love living somewhere quieter we both miss the culture available in a big city - world-class music, art, theatre etc. We also miss our old friends and that feeling of belonging that layers of personal history bring.

We had thought seriously about returning to our old city this year so last week we rented a place where we used to live for a week with a view to testing the water and our thoughts. Oh my goodness, we couldn't stand it!! It was so busy, noisy, everything so expensive. It made us count our blessings and we are staying put. Amazing how quickly you change.

I would say be very cautious about moving and do a lot of homework first. Think of a list of things you love about being where you are and ask yourself seriously if you can easily replicate/access that where you are going - think hard about whether you can live without them. If you add up what you want then that might direct you towards a certain location e.g. very rural, small town, village, city - then you can visit to try it out. I'd say visit in winter as nowhere shows it's true face when the sun is shining.

I hope this is helpful and that your move is everything you hope for.

Nannarose Wed 19-Jan-22 16:10:52

We did this (actually to build our own house) and we did the following:
Would not let ourselves be pressured, but take our time.

We didn't rent - but we did holiday in areas that we wanted to consider. We went around as if we were living there, and if there was a place to consider, we went by it at different times of the day and night.
We did go onto local forums, but FB and other local groups make it even easier now.
If you generally like where you are now, could you consider moving a short distance to an area that suits you better?
I agree with keeping an open mind - we would sit in a local cafe or pub and have a wide ranging discussion - if we lived here, how would it be?
This is an exciting time for you - I wish you luck!

Shandy57 Wed 19-Jan-22 16:19:11

I am retired and started my UK search by thinking about how I would like to spend my time. I decided I'd like to volunteer at the Eden Project in Cornwall, or the donkey sanctuary at Sidmouth in Devon. I would have loved to volunteer at the Orangutan Appeal UK, but house prices in the vicinity were completely out of budget.

I then made a big list of must haves, nice to haves and definitely don't wants!

I ended up dismissing the Eden Project, as the only place I could afford to buy had regular flooding with quite scary alerts on Facebook!

A railway station became one of my must haves, so Sidmouth changed to Exmouth, and I did visit and really loved it but my budget wasn't high enough for the area I really liked. I did offer on a flat but compromised on the garden - I'm glad my offer was rejected now.

I've ended up staying in Northumberland, in a three bed bungalow, within a short walking distance of the village and it's lovely river. Slightly longer walk takes me to the beach.
A small single decker bus passes the bungalow and goes to the next big town. It's a good location.

It is a process and you will change your mind regularly as it develops, enjoy!

Pepper59 Wed 19-Jan-22 16:22:57

Get a piece of paper, draw a line down the middle and list the pros and cons of moving. Not wanting to be morbid, but also consider what/how your other half will cope if left on their own. Do you really want to leave your friends/community? Good luck whatever you do.

Nannarose Wed 19-Jan-22 16:24:35

PS: I wanted to add that a number of areas of the UK have a low profile, or a mediocre reputation (I live in one of them) but are very worth exploring.
There are lots of grans on here who are willing to answer questions about the characteristics of an area.

Coastpath Wed 19-Jan-22 16:33:33

"a low profile, or a mediocre reputation" I laughed at that Nannarose. The same could be said about my adopted home town but it is a wonderful, friendly, healthy and happy place to live. It's a good tip not to rule areas out - especially as if a place is unfashionable it's often much cheaper.

Hithere Wed 19-Jan-22 16:34:33

Pick a place that makes you and your dh happy, not based on who lives there.
People move so often that is no longer a reliable parameter

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 19-Jan-22 16:35:30

I’d certainly start as pepper suggested and do the pros and cons first, the costs involved with moving are very significant and will determine how much you have to spend on your next home.

Then decide City, Town, Countryside or Coast. Then narrow it down to which County you want to move to.

Then come back onto GN and ask about various areas, there is sure to be someone who knows about a particular location.

luluaugust Wed 19-Jan-22 16:36:06

We moved from a semi rural area into a town when we were in our early sixties, we did have family reasons for doing this, it has worked well but over twenty years we are now in a semi London Borough and everything has changed. I have friends who have gone into the country and enjoyed it to start with but found the lack of facilities not so good now they are older, they travel long distances for entertainment and can't do without a car. Make lists, do you fancy the sea, or hill walking or lots of shops, go and visit at different times and check out what facilities and clubs are available. Good luck.

Nannarose Wed 19-Jan-22 22:09:01

Thanks Coastpath! I don't want to post where I am as I don't want my family to be identifiable.
I have ended up very near where I was born (and where my family go back to at least 16C). I always wanted to move back, but promised DH that I would keep an open mind when we retired. However, it is less expensive than many places and that was a deciding factor.
I have lived in a few places for study / work, all in the South / Midlands of England. Although I have never lived anywhere unpleasant, they have all been in the category of 'where is that?' or 'I think I passed through there once'. Everywhere I have found the usual mix of people, but always plenty who I get on with, can work alongside (paid or voluntary) and have made some great friends along the way.

Nannarose Thu 20-Jan-22 08:48:00

I'm going to add another PS that is only a bit to do with your post. I suggest that once settled in, you look to pursue 3 interests - one each and one jointly. That gets you into a nice circle of folk, and gives you something to chat about.

Franbern Thu 20-Jan-22 08:55:56

Lots of really good advice here. Moving to be near AC/g.children is so often doomed to disappointment as they then move away for jobs, etc.

So moving should be for good reasons for yourselves.

Pros and Cons both of moving and whereabouts is where to start. Then lists showing what you want in your new home and home area, what is absolutely necessary, what is desirable and what is a definite No/No.

Do not forget to 'future proof' your choice of new home. Something that may be perfect for you both NOW, my become a nightmare as you age. It always astonishes me on tv shows like 'Escape to the Country', at buyers in their middle years getting so excited about properties with only access to it by car and/or with loads of steps to it and in it.

Just seven years ago my Bil and SiL both then in the late 60's purchased their dream country house. Wonderful that first couple of years, then as they developed mobility and other problems it is now a nightmare - too isolated, too big (they insisted on having a bedroom for a very much loved g.son who, now a teenager - and never actually visits them.

Take your time, lots of it in looking for your future home. Keep us informed as to how you get on.

sodapop Thu 20-Jan-22 09:02:24

We moved to rural France CarlyD7 complete change of lifestyle but that may be a bit drastic for you.
Decide what is important to you, coast, country, town find an affordable area. If possible rent there for a while so you get a feel for the place. We found it better to find an area where we wanted to be and concentrated our search. Too wide an area and you will be looking forever. Good luck.

Luckygirl3 Thu 20-Jan-22 09:13:22

I live on the south Wales border - it is absolutely the most beautiful place to be and I have always loved it - beautiful walks, wonderful scenery, small close-knit supportive community, cultural activities in nearby city and train routes to Cardiff and Birmingham - I really feel at home. House prices are lower than national average.

Coastpath Thu 20-Jan-22 09:29:44

I'm always amazed at that on Escape to the Country too Franbern. People who want many acres and spend up spending a day a week mowing, no transport links/no local shops. What happens when they become less mobile or able? These could be places to be very, very lonely if you are alone.

Another thing to consider is that as you age you need the services of opticians, dentists, chiropodists more and these can be hard to access in very rural areas.

Witzend Thu 20-Jan-22 09:40:04

Coastpath

I'm always amazed at that on Escape to the Country too Franbern. People who want many acres and spend up spending a day a week mowing, no transport links/no local shops. What happens when they become less mobile or able? These could be places to be very, very lonely if you are alone.

Another thing to consider is that as you age you need the services of opticians, dentists, chiropodists more and these can be hard to access in very rural areas.

Me too. I once used to think I’d like moving to somewhere fairly rural, but many visits to friends who lived down a steep, very narrow lane in rural north Devon, cured me of that. You needed to drive 10 minutes just for a pint of milk, and they even needed to take the car to be able to walk their dogs anywhere they could safely let them off the lead - sheep in fields, and the odd boy racer hurtling around corners of narrow lanes with no pavements.

If I did ever move - no plans to - I’d want to be within a short walk, or very good public transport, from all everyday facilities, which is what we are lucky enough to have now.

karmalady Thu 20-Jan-22 09:55:26

a small market town with friendly people. Go and test, park in the carpark and get chatting. Buses, local shops within walking distance, lots of groups. You will only get a feel for a place by doing the actual homework, not just online. It is what I did and I made my choice in the carpark

Shandy57 Thu 20-Jan-22 10:22:38

I would recommend buying somewhere that has both gas and electricity - and an open fireplace if possible.

Storm Arwen affected the electricity supply here and some people had to wait six weeks for their electricity to be switched on again. Northern Power were working 24/7 in freezing/blustery conditions to restore power. A friend's elderly relatives with severe mobility problems were electric only, and both relied on their electric chairs/beds - they had to be rehoused.

Caleo Thu 20-Jan-22 10:52:27

I found it impossible to decide rationally. What finally decided me was accidentally pick up a rose catalogue someone had left lying on the table. I had the lighthearted idea " Hey !If I move to ---- I can choose roses for my garden! "

Hetty58 Thu 20-Jan-22 10:59:25

CarlyD7, it has to be worth it - so find an area/town that you truly love (regardless of where relatives are) - then look for a house that has that 'homely' feeling.

If you go for a purely practical option, you may never love living there. Something that just makes your heart sing is priceless. It may be a lovely view, a cosy hamlet, a quiet retreat set back from the road - or just that feeling of 'I'd really enjoy living here'.

Hetty58 Thu 20-Jan-22 11:09:33

(and) a couple here moved - just over the road, from their family house into a bungalow on our side (we have the sunny gardens).

They had three empty bedrooms and only an upstairs bathroom. Now, they have exactly what they need. It was so funny watching furniture being carried across the road.

hazel93 Thu 20-Jan-22 11:14:57

Research, research and more research is my advice.
We are building our final home in an area we know well in Cornwall. The village has all the basic amenities , surgery, convenience store, pub, butcher, baker etc. with a lively community. No way, at our age would we dream of having to drive anywhere for the basics, as others have said not future proof !
We will be leaving close family but as they all love the area pretty sure visitors will not be thin on the ground. It is quite daunting but a whole new adventure - bring it on !!

CarlyD7 Thu 20-Jan-22 16:47:14

This is great! Thank you everyone. Starting to feel less overwhelmed. So much good advice! Yes, time to draw up a shortlist - will come back to GN again for advice when we do that.