Gransnet forums

House and home

New Bathroom

(16 Posts)
LilyoftheValley Thu 20-Jan-22 16:31:46

I am going to completely renovate my bathroom. Possibly keep old bath and have new surround. Thinking of underfloor heating and a new shower and loo. Has anyone advice or recommendations, please? w ondering about a Japanese loo! Are they worth the extra expense?

Aldom Thu 20-Jan-22 16:39:13

My daughter has one of these flush, wash and dry loos for their son who has special needs. It's very successful, but you need to factor in the running costs electricity, servicing etc.

Sago Thu 20-Jan-22 16:50:20

My daughter has what she calls “ bum guns” by each loo, they like a small hand held shower.
Their plumber had never fitted them before but now recommends them
I think thy are known as bidet showers.
Not only are they super hygienic and can mean loo roll is a thing of the past but also they are brilliant for cleaning the loo.

Patsy70 Thu 20-Jan-22 17:16:04

I’ve always wanted a bidet, but the bathroom is too small. I would definitely choose one of these new loos if I could afford it, as they are so hygienic. Good luck with the renovation, LilyoftheValley.

vegansrock Thu 20-Jan-22 17:30:26

Think about lighting - we have one of those automatic sensors which put the light on as soon as you walk in the room, no mucky pull cords and very useful when getting up in the night.

CanadianGran Thu 20-Jan-22 17:53:18

I recommend a heated towel rack. It does help to dry towels so they don't get musty, and your towel is always lovely and warm after a bath.

BeverleyJB Thu 20-Jan-22 17:56:29

We have a Geberit shower toilet and love it.
Instead of tiling around the bath/shower area, I would highly recommend considering shower panels - much more stylish and no fiddly grout to clean.

Calendargirl Thu 20-Jan-22 18:01:12

BeverleyJB

We have a Geberit shower toilet and love it.
Instead of tiling around the bath/shower area, I would highly recommend considering shower panels - much more stylish and no fiddly grout to clean.

We are having our bathroom re-done, but a local firm no longer fit shower panels, they say they have had so many problems with uneven walls and the panels not sticking properly.

I had been quite keen on them before this.

cornergran Thu 20-Jan-22 18:14:10

We’ve got kne of those hand held sprays between the toilet and the sink. Can be used after the toilet or over the basin to wash hair. Very useful. Can’t recall what it was called though. Our plumber hadn’t fitted one before but said very easy to do.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 20-Jan-22 18:41:22

We have just replaced our loo with one of those high ones with a quiet closing lid. Nomorepulling myself up from a sitting position

Barmeyoldbat Thu 20-Jan-22 18:42:40

Blast pressed the post button before I had split up no more pulling up

M0nica Thu 20-Jan-22 19:01:01

Do not have a fully tiled bathroom. A friend had a leak in the shower.To get to it tiles had to be removed. It was impossible to get more of the tiles as are untraceable (the bathroom was fully tiled when she bought the house) and the insurance company were accepting that if the worst came to the worst, all the tiling in the bathroom would have to be stripped out and replaced. As the bathroom is big she got round it by fitting a bigger walk-in shower, but it is a point worth noting.

mokryna Thu 20-Jan-22 21:43:28

Sago

My daughter has what she calls “ bum guns” by each loo, they like a small hand held shower.
Their plumber had never fitted them before but now recommends them
I think thy are known as bidet showers.
Not only are they super hygienic and can mean loo roll is a thing of the past but also they are brilliant for cleaning the loo.

My daughter had one of those loo sprays when she lived in Finland, they are very popular there, to save loo rolls. I wanted one when I renovated here but my plumber said he couldn’t as the pipe sizing wasn’t the same. I think he didn’t want to deal with it really.

Charleygirl5 Thu 20-Jan-22 23:04:44

I agree with Barmeyoldbat. My downstairs loo and bathroom upstairs both have higher than usual loos so I no longer struggle to get off it. Very helpful if one has had joints replaced.

I do like the soft close lid but I find the entire seat goes walkabout over time.

I have a height-adjustable stool in my shower and it is very easy to clean. I did not want a seat attached to my tiles (my bathroom is fully tiled floor and walls) because a friend's worked loose and the tiles came off as well and could not be replaced.

Gin Thu 20-Jan-22 23:18:16

In the 1970s when I lived in Egypt we had a similar thing as a bum gun as the sewers would not take loads of toilet paper. It was a pipe inside the toilet spraying water that you operated from a tap at the side of the loo.

Franbern Mon 24-Jan-22 09:08:54

Had my guest bathroom completely done, soon after I moved here. I have soft closures on both the loo in there and in my en-suite. I detest those that drop down with a bang. A good quality soft closing seat, properly fitted should not move at all.

I did not change out the loo or the wash basin, had those just re-fitted into their new positions. Needed a new bath, and shower over. As they had to fit a new false wall to cover the pipes over the bath, they also made a small alcove quite high up there to take shower and shampoo bottles, etc.

This is a totally internal bathroom, I had it done all in white with silver coloured, glittery accessories. It is really lovely, and bright and so very clean looking in there. Visitors always comment as to how nice in there when they use it.

I do agree regarding those seats fixed to walls in shower units. They always look grubby to me, (even when they are not). I purchased a fold up free-standing, shower stool when in my last house, this came with me and goes perfectly in my en-suite shower. It still leaves lots of room, but if someone else is using that shower, it is so quick and easy to fold up and remove. The one I have is backless, but you can get these with both back and arms if required.