Gransnet forums

House and home

Council Tax

(12 Posts)
lindiann Fri 28-Jan-22 15:00:09

Hi has anyone challenged their council tax band? We are D but several houses built at the same time are C same size

PamelaJ1 Fri 28-Jan-22 15:03:16

We did , years ago when it was introduced. We won.
There is a timeframe for challenging though.

lindiann Fri 28-Jan-22 15:20:44


Zoejory Fri 28-Jan-22 15:23:58

Colleague of mine did and she ended up with about £3000. Very successful.

Do it yourself though. It's quite simple.

MerylStreep Fri 28-Jan-22 15:30:14

Many years ago, 1999. The property ( a flat on 3 floors ) had been empty for 7 years and the previous 10 belonged to sketchleys the dry cleaners. There was no other property in the area to rate it against.
We won on appeal.

Chewbacca Fri 28-Jan-22 15:36:37

Yes I successfully challenged the council tax banding of my house. The local authority had banded my house as a D band because it's surrounded by 4 bed detached properties even though, on the next road, the identical 3 bedroom house as mine were 3 bedroom semis in a C band. No previous owners had ever challenged it but, when my challenge was upheld, every previous owner of my house got a refund of their council tax going back to the 1990s! Bet I was popular at the Town Hall! grin

Visgir1 Fri 28-Jan-22 15:49:39


We did , years ago when it was introduced. We won.
There is a timeframe for challenging though.

Ditto..I was happy fight Council, they wanted it to go to an appeal case in court, 24 hrs before I was due to attend, they withdrew we got the correct banding.

crazyH Fri 28-Jan-22 15:53:18

I was just checking the Tax Bands in our area and am pleased to say, it all appears fair .

GillT57 Fri 28-Jan-22 15:53:45

Be aware that the appeal can go both ways, you could end up going up a band, as could your neighbours!

Petera Fri 28-Jan-22 15:55:27

I had a colleague - really, it's not me - who thought his house was in too high a band but wouldn't challenge as he believed it would affect the value of his house

Chewbacca Fri 28-Jan-22 16:01:47

Advice on challenging Council Tax banding:

Give the addresses of up to 5 similar properties in a lower Council Tax band than yours.
They must be the same as your property in:
style and design
size - the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) will also consider properties that are larger than yours
type - for example, they must be semi-detached houses if you live in a semi-detached house

They must also be either:
in the same street or estate - if you live in a town or city
in the same village - if you live in the countryside

lindiann Fri 28-Jan-22 16:08:48

Thanks for all your replies smile