Gransnet forums

House and home

duvets, wash or dry clean

(39 Posts)
Dylis Sat 16-Apr-22 17:27:43

I am just thinking of changing my duvet to summer weight (such an exciting life!) I never know wether to wash them or not. Im not sure the feathers and down will be as springy after a quick wash. I end up sticking it on the line to "air" and shoving it in storage until colder weather.

Witzend Sat 16-Apr-22 17:30:50

You’re not supposed to dry clean duvets - the fumes from the chemicals are toxic.,

I take ours once a year to be laundered - they’re too big for my washing machine.,

silverlining48 Sat 16-Apr-22 17:34:00

I never wash or clean them though my summer one is very thin and may fit into my new washing machine which is a bit bigger than the old one, so may wash but not too worried.
Ooh just spotted, don’t wash them if they are feathers and down, they could and probably will, go all clumpy.

Joseanne Sat 16-Apr-22 17:52:14

Wash, but they're never as soft afterwards. (down ones)

Esspee Sat 16-Apr-22 18:00:21

I don’t use down ones and as we like a light 4.5 tog all year round I pop it in the washing machine every 3-6 months when the weather is good enough to get it dry on the line.

rockgran Sat 16-Apr-22 18:01:34

Mine are synthetic and I steam clean them over the washing line.

Kamiso Sat 16-Apr-22 18:10:24

Can’t use down quilts as OH and both son in law’s are allergic.

I washed the lighter one in the machine and once washed the larger one in the bath, put it in a sulo bin liner and threw it out of the window. It was a nightmare to hang on the line dripping wet, so didn’t bother again.

Since we moved and no loner have our own garden we’ve been taking the super king size quilt covers to the local dry cleaners/launderette. They charged £8 for two so well worth it.

lixy Sat 16-Apr-22 18:10:34

I used to put mine in the bath and walk up and down on them, then dry them on the line, but mine aren't feathers and down. It was fun! No bath now so will have to think of something else.

Amazon have this spray for a quick refresher
www.amazon.co.uk/QuickQuilt-Anti-bacterial-Bedding-Disinfectant-Sanitise?tag=gransnetforum-21

If you do wash it I have seen a tip that suggested putting a tennis ball in an old sock, tie the top so the ball can't get out, and put one or two of those into the machine too - they will help to stop the down clumping together.

kittylester Sat 16-Apr-22 20:13:39

Take it to the laundrette! They wash and dry it. It costs about £20

Chewbacca Sat 16-Apr-22 20:19:08

I once washed a feather and down double duvet in the washing machine. Disaster! The weight of a shopping wet duvet sheered the bolts on the machine clean off. Both machine and duvet were ruined.

TwiceAsNice Sat 16-Apr-22 20:30:57

I get mine dry cleaned at our local Morrisons. They roll them up clean in a zipped cover . The clean one goes on the bed at the next bedding change and the one on the bed goes back to the shop to be dry cleaned in turn. So each season approx every 6 months they get cleaned and the container stores the spare. I find it a good system .

MayBee70 Sat 16-Apr-22 20:33:54

They used to sell anti allergy duvet covers/protectors but no one sells them any more. You can buy mattress protectors but not duvet protectors. I don’t know why they suddenly stopped selling/manufacturing them.

Juliet27 Sat 16-Apr-22 20:38:52

I’ve just bought a ‘Supremely Washable’ 7.5 tog from M&S.

Chocolatelovinggran Sat 16-Apr-22 21:03:58

My dry cleaner washes mine ( if that doesn't sound odd ).

aggie Sat 16-Apr-22 21:07:03

I Judy hang mine over the line to air , picking a sunny day , I turn it over a couple of times so the uv kills anything lurking , it’s good if it’s a breezy day as well as sunny , really freshens it up

V3ra Sat 16-Apr-22 21:23:45

MayBee70

They used to sell anti allergy duvet covers/protectors but no one sells them any more. You can buy mattress protectors but not duvet protectors. I don’t know why they suddenly stopped selling/manufacturing them.

I have plain white brushed cotton covers on our duvets, then the patterned covers on top of these.
Likewise I have plain white pillowcases underneath the patterned pillowcases.
It all helps keep them clean.

Beanutz2115 Sat 16-Apr-22 21:28:16

I bought a 4tog duvet made by Silent Night from Amazon. It’s synthetic filling and it washes beautifully in my machine.

Witzend Sat 16-Apr-22 21:40:44

silverlining48

I never wash or clean them though my summer one is very thin and may fit into my new washing machine which is a bit bigger than the old one, so may wash but not too worried.
Ooh just spotted, don’t wash them if they are feathers and down, they could and probably will, go all clumpy.

That’s why I take ours to the laundry - nice big tumble driers.

I wash feather and down pillows at home - putting them in the tumble drier (which I rarely use now) means they come out nice and fluffy, like new.

JenniferEccles Sat 16-Apr-22 23:59:20

I’ve got two king sized duvets, one summer and one winter As they are too large to go in my washing machine so they go to the dry cleaners at the change of season to be washed in their large machines.
As others have said, around twenty pounds each and back they come all fresh and clean in a zipped up bag.

Kalu Sun 17-Apr-22 00:18:07

Same as Esspee. 4.5 Anti Allergenic super kings. Easily washed in my machine which has a larger type drum.

Shez1955 Sun 17-Apr-22 00:33:17

Feather or down duvets must be dried in a large tumble dryer to avoid clumping. Best to take them to the dry cleaners as usually have large capacity machines.

kittylester Sun 17-Apr-22 08:22:57

My duvets say DO NOT DRY CLEAN.

nadateturbe Mon 18-Apr-22 10:07:23

We have a local garage with a huge washing machine. Two duvets fit in and you can set your phone so that it tells you they are ready for collection. £8. I dry them on the line. If we need to (bad weather) we pay the local cleaners to wash, but its £12 for each duvet.

eazybee Mon 18-Apr-22 10:41:08

I used to wash the child sized duvets but they were always slightly lumpy.
I have two king sized duvets which I alternate, but haven't had them cleaned yet.

Patsy70 Mon 18-Apr-22 10:44:03

I have had my down duvet laundered a few times and it comes back as good as new.