Gransnet forums

House and home

New kitchen price shock

(129 Posts)
Optomistic1 Thu 12-May-22 19:56:08

Hi everyone.

I have decided to have a new kitchen and after getting. 3 quotes ( 1 national and 2 local independent) I am still reeling from the shock of how expensive it is! My kitchen isn’t big and due to its layout the new design is pretty much what it is now which is fine with me.
I have gone for quartz worktop, a Qooker tap, Neff appliances and high gloss handless units so I know I could have cheaper versions of all these but then I think I have worked hard all my life and am luckily enough to be able to afford it but it still pains me….

Has anyone else been surprised at the cost of a new kitchen recently or is it just me?

Thanks everyone

Enid101 Thu 12-May-22 20:00:05

How much is it?

GagaJo Thu 12-May-22 20:04:09

Enid101

How much is it?

Exactly my thought!

Optomistic1 Thu 12-May-22 20:07:35

Sorry I should have said ! £23k…. That includes ripping out ( including taking up floor and wall tiles, plastering, new false ceiling, units, appliances, quartz, spotlights, new radiator , flooring,

Urmstongran Thu 12-May-22 20:12:01

Goodness! A serious amount of money.
But you can afford it and like it so why not? As the advert used to say ‘because I’m worth it’.
Enjoy being in there!
I’d be way too nervous to have a Qooker even if I could afford one ... ?

Enid101 Thu 12-May-22 20:18:29

To be honest it sounds about right to me. I had similar work done about four years ago and it was around £22k. You won’t regret the Qooker tap - it’s ace!

Deedaa Thu 12-May-22 20:19:45

We replaced our cupboard doors with high gloss ones 11 years ago. I think they cost around £1.000 and that was just supplying them. We did all the fitting ourselves. I think with all the structural work you are having done and the new appliances it probably is a realistic price. I agree with Urmstongran sit back and enjoy it.

Joseanne Thu 12-May-22 20:22:38

The quote I have just received was a few thousand less than that and we are hoping to knock it down further. We are not having new flooring though, and I am taking the quartz up the wall, so no tiling. No new radiator either. So guess your quote sounds comparable.

Joseanne Thu 12-May-22 20:24:13

* knock down the price, not the kitchen! grin

Lido Thu 12-May-22 20:24:38

We've just refurbished our kitchen. We have new tiles and flooring and have painted everything. We did all the work ourselves for just under £600. I'm now wondering what I can spend the £22.400 we've saved on grin.

I hope you love your new kitchen and if you want to treat yourself why not.

Everything seems so expensive now. I was shocked by the price of oat milk yesterday (up 40p in a month) so a kitchen quote would have me staggering.

Pepper59 Thu 12-May-22 20:30:13

I'm aghast. I think I'd be getting a few more quotes.

Jane43 Thu 12-May-22 20:38:55

That is a lot of money, especially if you aren’t changing the layout. Our new kitchen three years ago which is quite big was just over £7000 and included a new double oven and extractor fan,. I suspect the high price could be due mainly to the quartz worktops, we had a very nice, good quality laminate for ours. Ours included new wall tiles as well. I do know that the cost of building materials has shot up because we were thinking of having a new garden shed but the price has doubled recently so we are just repainting the existing one. If it’s what you want and you can afford it then go for it but you could ask the people involved how they could bring the price down.

Joseanne Thu 12-May-22 20:42:41

As a breakdown figure our quartz worktops are £3,600.

Jane43 Thu 12-May-22 20:43:21

Lido we use oat milk too and have watched the price creep up recently. We prefer Alpro and fortunately Sainsburys and Morrisons regularly reduce the price from £2 to £1 so we stock up at the lower price, fortunately we have a large pantry to store it in.

midgey Thu 12-May-22 20:43:37

My daughter has found the cost of everything has increased, the quote for her new window has gone up £1000 in seven months!

Jane43 Thu 12-May-22 20:46:32

Optomistic1

Sorry I should have said ! £23k…. That includes ripping out ( including taking up floor and wall tiles, plastering, new false ceiling, units, appliances, quartz, spotlights, new radiator , flooring,

My DH took out the old kitchen himself and also took the old tiles off the wall, this reduced the cost quite a bit, it wasn’t difficult and we sold the old kitchen for £300.

Urmstongran Thu 12-May-22 20:47:11

Goodness, how we’ve moved on! ?

Joseanne Thu 12-May-22 20:48:50

I'm having a modern version of that Urmstongran.

Audi10 Thu 12-May-22 20:49:02

Well as you say you have worked hard all your life and you can afford it so go for it

SueDonim Thu 12-May-22 20:49:35

My dd is planning a new kitchen (not a 23k one though!) and the cost of removing the floor tiles is considerable. They have underfloor heating which limits how the tiles can be removed, so it’ll be a big job. They can’t just lay something over the present tiles because then the UF heating won’t work.

Optomistic1 Thu 12-May-22 20:50:13

Thanks so much everyone. Thanks for the reassurance that prices have gone up and that it’s not dissimilar to others kitchens. And thanks for agreeing that I should enjoy spending my money - I agree but find it hard!
My quartz is about £3600 so similar price Joseanne.
Xx

Urmstongran Thu 12-May-22 21:08:06

Looks fab Joseanne!
Years ago (early 60’s) units were free standing. Made such a huge difference to have longer flowing work surfaces. So modern and swish! My mum chose ‘Schreiber’ back in the day. She got a small discount because she worked at A.E.I. (later G.E.C) in Trafford Park.

Joseanne Thu 12-May-22 21:12:09

Was that drop middle door stable enough to balance things on?

midgey Thu 12-May-22 21:46:18

Joseanne that was where the bread was buttered!

Hellogirl1 Thu 12-May-22 21:52:32

5 years ago my new kitchen from B & Q cost £4,500, after a few tweaks, and I still thought it was expensive, I couldn`t even consider paying £23,000, but if you can afford it, go for it.