Gransnet forums

House and home

Minimalism is a step to happiness

(18 Posts)
TinyHouseGranny Mon 20-Jun-22 13:27:33

Living on a fixed income of $ 950 seem impossible to most people. I live on $ 150 after paying my bills. How is this possible? Minimalism is the answer. I moved from a 3200 sq ft house into a 196 sq ft tiny house and this move made my life so much simpler. I have EVERYTHING I could possibly need. I no longer get up in the morning to maintain my stuff. I embrace my space with love and respect. In order to bring something new into my home, I have to take something out.....that's my rule. So, living tiny really saves money. I love my home and I share it with my 100 lb. gentle giant Happy. If I had know that getting older could be so magical and amazing, I would have started much earlier. My son built me a 160 sq ft studio onto my tiny house and that gave me room to play with whatever I wanted. I can highly recommend this lifestyle to anyone wanting to live a truly independent lifestyle. If you are inspired, feel free to ask me anything. I am 73 and somewhat fit. I live a healthy lifestyle and don't feel restricted in any way. I surrounded myself with beauty, inspiration, and so much love.

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Jun-22 10:11:03

I have lived in a caravan at one point and yes, it was a simple and happy time, however I would not want to go that small ever again.
Apart from anything else if I'm to work I need nearly that much space just for that!

Urmstongran Tue 28-Jun-22 10:19:14

I’m totally with you THG! We own two very small places (in total less than your space!). It suits us very much in retirement. Hardly any housework to do, very low utility bills, ditto maintenance. Plenty of free time just to ‘be’. However we are all different. Some of my friends envy our overall lifestyle but admit they couldn’t ‘do small’.
?

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Jun-22 10:43:00

Surely the tiny house described is only about 14x14 ft?
Am I going mad?
Do you really have two homes that are smaller than this urmstongran?

Redhead56 Tue 28-Jun-22 10:58:09

I love it reminds me of the series tiny house on tv. Your home looks lovely and I hope you are happy there.
We recently sold a cottage we bought years ago in Wales we retired but never get the time to be there. It was meant to be for retirement but that was before we had grandchildren.
I would happily downsize and get rid of a load of furniture etc but my DH will not budge.

Urmstongran Tue 28-Jun-22 11:26:31

Maths was never my strong point NS! I was looking at the capacity and didn’t realise it was in sq. feet. In my head I was looking at the number - and I was thinking in sq. metres.
?
You must have thought I was one of ‘The Borrowers’.

Blossoming Tue 28-Jun-22 11:32:42

It wouldn’t make me happy, I need space to sprawl.

Urmstongran Tue 28-Jun-22 11:35:17

Just how big ARE you? ?
(Only joking Blossoming I couldn’t resist).

Athrawes Tue 28-Jun-22 11:36:23

I would love to live in a smaller house. Our current one is too big for me to look after but as DH has so much stuff we'll have to stay put. He not one for throwing things out - just in case!!!

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Jun-22 11:37:37

I live in a (comparatively) very small house; and it’s a PITA
It’s difficult to be minimalist in a small house -it’s all relative.
By looking at my house, you’d think that I have got more stuff than most; but in reality I have less space

Oldnproud Tue 28-Jun-22 11:42:44

I've always felt that I could live in a really small space if it was well designed and, more importantly, in the right location (right climate!), and with an American-style 'porch' surrounding it.

It was seeing an abandoned one-room toll cottage on the side of a canal that triggered this pipe dream many years ago, when I was only about 19.

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Jun-22 15:08:23

Urmstongran You must have thought I was one of ‘The Borrowers’.
???

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Jun-22 15:09:05

I actually wondered my maths skills had deserted me Urms!

J52 Tue 28-Jun-22 15:20:58

Small spaces can be very appealing, George Clarke certainly makes them so!
I would get claustrophobic in a small house, I love space that is not cluttered. Although, I do like art and beautiful objects in my space.

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Jun-22 15:55:08

It’s all a bit Marie Antoinette playing at shepherdesses for me!
Little spaces are all well and good until you have to live in one!

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Jun-22 16:57:22

Urmstongran

Maths was never my strong point NS! I was looking at the capacity and didn’t realise it was in sq. feet. In my head I was looking at the number - and I was thinking in sq. metres.
?
You must have thought I was one of ‘The Borrowers’.

Are you living in my downstairs office, Urmonstongran?
I keep losing things!

Allsorts Tue 28-Jun-22 17:07:28

I think you do remarkably well, don’t think I could though or if I had to that I would enjoy it. We all have too much stuff I agree. I am trying getting a charity bag full each month without buying new things, I have become very materialistic and could. never have worn all the clothes I possess. What is the 100 lb giant?

NotSpaghetti Tue 28-Jun-22 18:10:46

A dog?