Gransnet forums

House and home

Lincolnshire? What is it like?

(16 Posts)
PrettyNancy Tue 12-Jul-22 13:11:14

Thinking of moving, and considering Lincolnshire. Don't really know it that well, so anything/anywhere we need to avoid?

The Wolds is probably what we would like, but any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you.

welbeck Tue 12-Jul-22 13:29:22

i watch a programme about police activities and it frequently follows lincs police.
maybe you could look at that to get some idea.
it is on channel 30 on freesat, usually in afternoon.
i think it's called police interceptors.

M0nica Tue 12-Jul-22 13:42:49

Large areas are drearily flat, but there are some very attractive hilly bits.

We recently visited Grimesthorpe Castle, in the Stamford/Grantham area and were struck by how attractive the lumpy bumpy landscape was with all the limestone built house.

Chewbacca Tue 12-Jul-22 13:44:16

Flat. Very, very flat.

martinthebandit Tue 12-Jul-22 13:46:06

It’s pretty damn nice, the wolds especially so www.lincswolds.org.uk/

Louth has always been one of my favourite towns in the county.

Nandalot Tue 12-Jul-22 13:53:55

Yes, it’s not all flat. The wolds are undulating and some parts of it can get quite a lot of snow.
We live in one of the cliff villages, recently rated one of the best places to live by one of the nationals. They are on the Lincoln edge which is a ridge that rises from the flat part of Notts to the flat part of Lincs if you see what I mean. Some beautiful stone cottages. The university has brought a lot of life to Lincoln but it is still a much slower pace of life than the South. There are a few direct trains to London from Lincoln but Newark is about 20 mins away and has a good service to King’s Cross.

Yammy Tue 12-Jul-22 13:56:48

If you choose the right place beautiful. I agree about Louth the town is a gem we often visited but I have been told the prices now are very high there.
It is not all flat and is grassy and green with lots of trees and the Wolds are lovely. If you are into bird watching the Lincolnshire side of the Humber at Barton is a bird watcher's dream.
Just keep away from the tacky coast at Skegness and the towns that are on the through routes to it like Horncastle a lovely quaint town spoiled by the amount of holiday traffic passing through it.
Many of my husband's colleagues retired from across the Humber as the property used to be very realistically priced.

Whiff Tue 12-Jul-22 14:06:51

My brother and sister in law moved to Digby and few months ago and love it. Health care brilliant,flat and friendly people.

Chardy Tue 12-Jul-22 14:22:34

I used to have friends living in Louth, a pleasant town. Lovely countryside, not like the rest of Lincolnshire, but it seemed to take a long time to get there. The roads weren't impressive then.

LondonMzFitz Tue 12-Jul-22 14:34:11

I've moved to Lincolnshire from London in the last 4 months - price dictated what I needed -

Stamford (visited only once so far) is lovely (my opinion). Grantham is an hour and 10 mins into Kings Cross, regular trains. Villages around Grantham seem nice. I've been able to purchase outright a 2 bed bungalow in great condition, with a tiny garden looking out onto (admittedly) flat fields, quiet cul-de-sac, Village has a pub, a post office, a corner shop and a Coop. Doctors Surgery. Regular bus service. I'm liking it a lot.

alibee Wed 10-Aug-22 19:18:25

The Deepings are lovely and near to Peterborough train station which is a 50 minute journey to London. Lots of things to do in Peterborough and Stamford and you are spoilt for choice for lovely village pubs .

sodapop Wed 10-Aug-22 19:25:18

Lovely little villages in the Wolds but more expensive than the rest of Lincolnshire. Louth is a very nice little market town with independent shops. My family live in Lincs and I would move there if I returned to UK.

Cabbie21 Wed 10-Aug-22 19:58:17

Lincolnshire is bigger than you might think, and in some rural areas road travel is not as fast as you might expect, apart from the A1. Good agricultural county. I agree with the places already highlighted.

MiniMoon Wed 10-Aug-22 20:33:35

Never been to the Lincolnshire Wolds, but the rest is flat and smells of cabbages.
That being said, we were only there for the weekend when DS went to University in Lincoln.
Goid luck with the house hunting.

Fleurpepper Wed 10-Aug-22 20:40:05

Far far too flat for me and monoculture.

Fleurpepper Wed 10-Aug-22 20:40:37

Stamford is nice.