Gransnet forums

House and home

Food Banks - from the other side

(32 Posts)
LilyoftheValley Wed 20-Jul-22 13:43:35

Until not very long ago I donated food whenever I did my weekly shop.

Things have altered drastically in my life and, today, I visited a food bank for the first time.

I was made welcome from when I first entered - given a cold drink, a seat and someone to talk to. I am so very impressed by the kind words of understanding and encouragement. I left with household items - washing up liquid etc, and dried goods as well as fresh local vegetables.

I have always supported the food banks in my area and, now I have seen from the other side, I realise just how necessary they can be in someone's life.

Smileless2012 Wed 20-Jul-22 13:46:55

I'm pleased that you've had such a positive experience LilyoftheValley and that you're able to benefit from something you were supporting when you were able flowers.

AGAA4 Wed 20-Jul-22 13:50:57

Food banks have become essential sadly. Glad you had a good experience with them.

Charleygirl5 Wed 20-Jul-22 13:57:49

I also am pleased you have had a positive experience "from the other side".

I donate but I have chosen to give deodorants, soap, liquid and bars, toothpaste, toothbrushes and loo rolls. These are items which are needed but do not obviously come under "food".

Doodledog Wed 20-Jul-22 14:12:16

I'm another who is pleased your experience was positive, LOTV. It is disgraceful that foodbanks are needed in one of the richest countries in the world, but it's good that there was one there when you needed it.

Good luck with getting back to where you started from. flowers

Riverwalk Wed 20-Jul-22 15:23:40

I'm sorry that you've had drastic changes in your life but very pleased that you had a positive experience at the food bank - hope your fortunes improve before too long.

A timely reminder of how our lives can change in an instant.

There's still a bit of snootiness in some quarters of how any one should be able to manage if only they pulled their socks up and budgeted properly.

Franbern Wed 20-Jul-22 15:30:28

wonderful people run these and donate to them.
BUT total disgrace that the 5th or 6th richest country in the world needs so many of these.
Government members should be hanging their heads with shame

Pantglas2 Wed 20-Jul-22 15:32:55

I’ve donated to food banks since I lived in Greece 20 years ago, in Spain for the past ten years and in this country for the last seven years.

It’s a universal problem, I’m happy to give what I can and hope I continue to be in that position.

Blondiescot Wed 20-Jul-22 15:38:03

Franbern

wonderful people run these and donate to them.
BUT total disgrace that the 5th or 6th richest country in the world needs so many of these.
Government members should be hanging their heads with shame

This, absolutely - I love that people are so generous, not only with their donations, but also their time in helping to run food banks, but I detest the fact that they are necessary in the first place, and becoming more so every day.
To the OP, I am glad that you had such a positive experience and thank you for sharing that with us. None of us know when or if we could find ourselves in your shoes at some stage.

Yammy Wed 20-Jul-22 15:41:12

Glad you got some comfort and friendliness when you needed it, after donating yourself. I hope everything gets back to normal for you.flowers

lixy Wed 20-Jul-22 15:44:53

Thank you for sharing your positive experience.

I also donate regularly and am thankful that I can do so. It's reassuring to hear that I would be welcomed should the world turn upside-down for me too.

I hope things look up for you soon.

Kate1949 Wed 20-Jul-22 15:51:41

None of us know when we may need them. I'm glad you've been helped Lily. I always try to remember to donate when I shop

J52 Wed 20-Jul-22 16:20:10

Thank you for sharing your experience. I’m glad that it was a positive one.
It is disgraceful that people in this country have to rely on food banks at all. But if we continue to have a self serving government, I suppose they will only increase.

MadeInYorkshire Wed 20-Jul-22 16:27:33

Yes I have had to use them a couple of times - I was mortified initially but had little choice at the time. Like you I had a very good experience and people were kind and welcoming.

Patsy70 Wed 20-Jul-22 16:35:16

So pleased to hear that you had a warm welcome Lily and thank you for sharing this with us. It is a very sad situation when food banks are necessary in our wealthy country. I do hope that this is only a temporary change for you and life improves very soon. ?

Doodledog Wed 20-Jul-22 16:35:21

I understand people's embarrassment, but there is no shame in using them - the shame is on the government for allowing a state of affairs where they are necessary.

DaisyAnne Wed 20-Jul-22 17:16:53

I'm so pleased to hear you were looked after and had a good experience LillyoftheValley. I had a coffee with a friend this morning. She and her husband volunteer at our local food bank. She commented on how many more people are coming to them; sadly, I think this will continue for some time.

These days, while I watch agast at the political parties, it keeps coming to me that the thing that works, and always has, is community. Whether it's your block of flats, your road, village, town, etc., amazing people give whatever they can. I think this is because, on this smaller scale, it is easy to believe that while you may be here for someone else today, you can be sure they will be there for you, on a personal basis, when you need it.

You Lily, are typical of this. You were someone who has given when you could. Now many 'someones' are there to help you - and it keeps going round.

If someone started the "Communities Party", I'd vote for that. You can't beat them.

Baggs Wed 20-Jul-22 19:01:02

Your "Communities Party" chimes with my wondering as I read this thread (so glad you were treated kindly, LOTV, and got things you needed when desperate), what happened before food banks and before government sponsored 'welfare'? I'm guessing members of communities supported each other as far as they were able, though no doubt some still fell through whatever nets there were.

Prentice Wed 20-Jul-22 19:04:23

Pantglas2

I’ve donated to food banks since I lived in Greece 20 years ago, in Spain for the past ten years and in this country for the last seven years.

It’s a universal problem, I’m happy to give what I can and hope I continue to be in that position.

You are very kind to do this Pantglas2
It really is a universal problem and certainly not just needed here. We could all be in this position at times in our lives.

grannydarkhair Wed 20-Jul-22 19:08:02

What worries me is that as more and more people need to use food banks, fewer people may be able/willing to donate to them. What happens when the donations stop?

crazyH Wed 20-Jul-22 19:23:26

LOTV, your story tells us that we should never take things for granted. I hope you are getting all the help and support you need and deserve.
I also hope sincerely, that your situation improves flowers

HousePlantQueen Wed 20-Jul-22 19:45:08

I volunteer at a small branch of a foodbank and the over riding message from the people who call in for help is that they will be back when they can; to donate or volunteer

Kiplet Thu 29-Sep-22 06:43:21

House plant queen.
With reference to you volunteering at a food bank..
What do users have to present to access the food bank ?
Can any one just arrive and receive a parcel ?
Are food banks meeting all the people that are in need ?
Do you ever send people away empty handed ?
I’m just interesting on how food banks are run..etc

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 29-Sep-22 08:07:19

Kiplet, people are referred to us from health visitors, churches, social workers etc.
There is paperwork/ assessment involved ( undertaken by a community suppoirt worker, not the volunteers).
Twelve weeks of food parcels are then available, the number and make up of each parcel varied, according to the people in the household.
Matters are then reviewed. Drinks and biscuits help everyone feel better but the most important thing is the volunteers welcome. I'm so glad to hear that you had that LOV and I hope that your circumstances change for the better soon

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 29-Sep-22 08:11:33

And no, no one goes away empty handed. For folk who don't/ won't meet criteria, we have a store of nearly- out- of- date goods, and some donations which are " extras" and these ( smaller) parcels contain a loo roll and shower gel etc which are much appreciated !