Gransnet forums

House and home

Does anyone recommend a cordless iron?

(12 Posts)
Sophiasnana Sun 14-Aug-22 12:57:17

Fed up of my heavy old iron with a tangled cord, and I wondered about getting a cordless one. They seem to get really bad reviews online though. Thoughts please!

Retread Sun 14-Aug-22 14:21:01

I love my cordless steam iron. Can't think why they'd get bad reviews! In fact, I doubt I'd be able to go back to a corded one. I'm left handed BTW, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Oldbat1 Sun 14-Aug-22 16:05:01

We’re on our 2nd cordless iron in less than 2yrs. 1st one stopped heating properly and the replacement seems to now be doing the same. Cost over£50. My husband loves it being cordless and swears replacement is working fine. I’m definitely buying a corded one asap.

welbeck Sun 14-Aug-22 16:06:14

what is an iron ?

Sophiasnana Sun 14-Aug-22 16:09:54

Retread, which model do you have?

BlueBelle Sun 14-Aug-22 16:12:55

Wellbeck you beat me I was just going to ask what’s an iron?

Esspee Sun 14-Aug-22 16:47:44

I'm in the same camp as Wellbeck and Bluebell.

JackyB Sun 14-Aug-22 18:24:44

I had two or three cordless irons consecutively - can't remember why I stopped using them, it certainly is practical with no cords. I don't think they lived long, though.

For the past few years I have used ones with a tank.(sorry, can't remember what these are called in English) The cord connecting the iron to the tank is heavy and unwieldy - always reminds me of an umbilical cord - but it somehow doesn't seem to get in the way.

LadyGracie Sun 14-Aug-22 20:39:35

I just bought a Tefal free move air cordless iron.

Sophiasnana Sun 14-Aug-22 20:51:31

Would you recommend your new iron?

Retread Sun 14-Aug-22 22:11:09

Hi again, I had the first one for years, only replaced it because it started leaving marks on the laundry, I think due to timescale build up. It was still working. Can't remember the make. I've just bought a Tefal.

Why wouldn't a cordless last as long as a corded iron? I mean you can lock it in to the stand and use it as a corded one any way if preferred.

Retread Sun 14-Aug-22 22:12:18

..limescale!