Gransnet forums

House and home

Has anyone dared to turn their heating on yet?

(319 Posts)
Chestnut Sat 17-Sep-22 18:51:53

It's feeling a lot chillier tonight and the temperature is reading 17.5C in the flat and 16C in the annexe. Normally I would have put my heating on but I'm holding out! I might succumb at 17C and set the heating for 18C. I'm trying to be brave.

Have you switched your heating on yet? Are you holding out a bit longer? What will you set the thermostat for this year?

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 17-Sep-22 18:55:51

Ours (underfloor throughout) is always ‘on’ but only kicks in when the thermostats tell it to, which they have done today.

kittylester Sat 17-Sep-22 18:58:04

Ours is set at 23° all year for a couple of hours and has clicked on 2 or 3 times in the last week. It goes down to 20 at about 9 am until 5 ish then back up to 23. We rarely change it but might change the timings.

lemsip Sat 17-Sep-22 19:00:36

wouldn't dare! live alone so I just will cover up.

BlueBelle Sat 17-Sep-22 19:01:45

Me too Lemsip I only have a gas fire but won’t turn that on for weeks so it’s jumpers and hot water bottles for me

Prentice Sat 17-Sep-22 19:02:59

No heating on until October here.
Usually this is fine, just have to put an old comfy sweater on or a throw if sitting in the evening.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 17-Sep-22 19:03:52

Yes ours is set at 21c and today I have set it to winter mode, - it behaves differently in summer mode.

I have set it to come on for 3 hours Am and the same pm. That will stay until autumn gets colder.

It hadn’t come on yet as our conservatory warms the ground floor and the sun has been glorious today, but I expect it to come on in the morning.

I am keeping an eye on how the bill is ratcheting up on the smart meter though!

grandMattie Sat 17-Sep-22 19:04:06

Me neither. My thermostat is set to 15C. Until then, I’ll use little oil heaters in the rooms I’m in.

Philippa111 Sat 17-Sep-22 19:05:54

No! I've got the thermals out and the wooly jumpers... I too am seeing how long I can last out! I guess when my nose is red and cold, and my teeth are chattering, that may be the time to turn the heating on!
But seriously I am going to set my thermostat at a lower setting this winter.
I am temped to get a couple of a fleece onesies with hoods and live in them. Wash one, wear one!! I would permanently look like a Disney character!

Sitting with a hot water bottle at my back is really nice... and economical!

BlueBalou Sat 17-Sep-22 19:07:41

I’ve lit the wood burner this afternoon, although it was sunny outside there’s a chilly northerly breeze and I felt cold.
I did have several layers of clothing on, socks etc but they weren’t enough.
I don’t intend to put the heating on yet, I have put the winter duvet on the bed and I added a fleece blanket last night.

Serendipity22 Sat 17-Sep-22 19:08:41

No heating on but the fire has been fired up.... ?. The house is south facing and its been beautiful weather past few days so the house is warm.... smile

SueDonim Sat 17-Sep-22 19:08:41

Our brand new CH is on for the first time this evening. It was 12.8deg in the house this morning. I’m in Scotland. ?

Mapleleaf Sat 17-Sep-22 19:11:25

Ours came on this morning for a few hours - controlled by thermostat, so comes on automatically if temperature drops below a pre set level.
I’m also worried that if we allow the house to become too cold and damp, then a whole host of other (and potentially expensive to rectify) issues could occur, including mould, rising damp, etc plus potential health hazards if we allow ourselves to become too cold. I think that for us, economies will have to be made elsewhere, though I do realise that for some, they’ve made all the economies they can.

tanith Sat 17-Sep-22 19:12:55

No mine won’t go on till I’m really cold I was sitting out in the garden in a t-shirt today. I’m in West London

Prentice Sat 17-Sep-22 19:15:48

SueDonim

Our brand new CH is on for the first time this evening. It was 12.8deg in the house this morning. I’m in Scotland. ?

Oh no! How very cold it is there.

Kalu Sat 17-Sep-22 19:17:45

Our heating is set at a permanent 19deg. am for three hours and 22deg. pm. for six hours and is already coming on.

Millie22 Sat 17-Sep-22 19:21:09

Yes our heating has come on in the morning this week. It is temperature controlled at 20° and this morning it was 6° when I got up to make the tea.

No heating so far in the evenings as our house stays warm and is south facing.

Blondiescot Sat 17-Sep-22 19:34:31

I'm in Scotland too, but our heating won't be going on for a long time yet. We do have a log burning stove, but we haven't had it on yet either - to be honest, when we do light it, we rarely need to have the heating on anyway. I bought a lovely new fleecy blanket from Aldi the other week for only £4.99 so I'll be sitting with that round me if I need a bit more warmth.

Yammy Sat 17-Sep-22 19:40:40

Yes, it is so cold here in the frozen North west. Not all the time usually for the last hour in the evening this last week. The plinth heaters before we eat. I am getting like my mother and leave the cooker door open after it has been switched off. we are all oil no gas in the village so hope it will be priced capped in the mini-budget.

Smileless2012 Sat 17-Sep-22 19:41:10

Yes, put it on for a couple of hours last night and will do the same this evening.

Norah Sat 17-Sep-22 19:47:24

Yes, the thermostat is set.

bluebird243 Sat 17-Sep-22 19:52:51

No need yet it's quite mild here [South West]. If the temperature suddenly drops I will cuddle a hot water bottle, then also take it to bed.

I don't have central heating and it's too soon to light the log burner so I will graduate to putting wool jumpers/cardigans on, wearing 2 layers, and in the evening I will put a baggy fleece on top of that!

I have wool throws, an electric blanket and when it's awful I have a spare duvet I can put over me when watching the TV on the sofa. The log burner gets lit around mid October.

tickingbird Sat 17-Sep-22 19:55:02

I’m seeing how long I can last out. I have put a cardigan on and also thick socks.

kircubbin2000 Sat 17-Sep-22 19:59:38

Older people are advised to have 18 as a minimum but 21 is preferable.If you are fit and active you are moving much more than an elderly housebound person and will not be so susceptible to hypothermia.

Callistemon21 Sat 17-Sep-22 20:02:33

It's only September.

I tend to be mesh, but no, not yet.
Still got the summer duvet on too.