Gransnet forums

House and home

Has anybody got experience of these laundry eggs please?

(16 Posts)
Shinamae Wed 21-Sep-22 14:09:06

Just that really…?

tanith Wed 21-Sep-22 14:17:20

I similar about 4 yrs ago but after a few uses i thought the clothes smelled a bit and were getting scratchy and hard. I threw them out.

tanith Wed 21-Sep-22 14:17:39

Bought similar.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 21-Sep-22 14:17:47

Yes, I started using one in July, they are worth the money, I am counting how many washes I get as they say 90.

They even get GC’s grubby uniform and PE kit clean.

Georgesgran Wed 21-Sep-22 14:33:15

I’ve used the eggs and they were ok, as long as stains were pre-treated. I’m now using soap nuts (got mine from QVC, but Lakeland sell them) which are ok and very economic to use.

I found the only issue with both products is not to overfill the washing machine, as there needs to be plenty of ‘spare water’ sloshing around to activate the product.

Baggs Wed 21-Sep-22 15:25:12

I used laundry eggs for a while and then soap pods. In both cases I found that dark coloured stuff washed fine but whites went grey very quickly even though done in separate washes from coloureds.

For quite some time now I've been using soda crystals and that's all. Everything washes well and nothing stinks of synthetic perfume.

Sago Wed 21-Sep-22 15:30:08

I use mine just on towels and lightly soiled dark loads.

Franbern Wed 21-Sep-22 16:23:51

Ecoeggs are the original. Have been around for a long time now. There are several (usually cheaper) copies.

I use my Eco egg for two washes, then my eco washing sheets for a third wash, then back to ecoeggs.

Find them fine, but then, just me so no really dirty washing, and I have not used any sort of fabric conditioner for many a long year. They are eco friendly. easy to store and refillable.

Saxifrage Wed 21-Sep-22 16:33:32

I have been using an egg for about 6 months now. I love the convenience of not having to muck about with washing liquids and conditioners. It’s probably not as efficient but generally good enough for us. Really need to be a bit more organised about checking for any stains and putting something on those as you load the machine.

Hymnbook Wed 21-Sep-22 16:38:21

Brilliant have used them for a few years now.

Nannashirlz Sat 24-Sep-22 15:49:20

I bought mine from qvc a while ago as they is only me I find them fine wash my clothes and stop me from carrying big boxes and bottles but I’m not playing with mud pies etc so not sure how they would be on grandkids clothes lol

Chestnut Sun 25-Sep-22 10:21:19

I've been using the ecoegg for about a year and love it. Not only easy to use but saves so much money. I spray any marks or stains with Vanish spray, but I would do that anyway. If you want your wash to have a particular smell then put a drop of essential oil in the rinse.

maddyone Sun 25-Sep-22 10:31:55

Never used them. Prefer Ariel and Comfort or Fairy sensitive fabric softener. Ariel gets things clean and I need a softener as I live in a very hard water area. Sounds like others get mixed results with the eggs. I prefer to stick with products I know work.

mokryna Sun 25-Sep-22 11:09:35

I don’t have stained dirty washing. I have been using the egg for the last few weeks, washing everything at 30 degrees, my machine doesn’t have a 20 degree program. I have been adding as usual bicarbonate of soda to all washes, maybe I shouldn’t do that, I don’t know, it’s just habit. Everything comes out clean and smelling fresh but not perfumed.
I am doing this for my grandchildrens’ future, not for myself.

Margiknot Mon 26-Sep-22 17:14:25

I started using a washing egg at the beginning of the covid lockdown, ( I had a new one in the cupboard and could not get out to buy more washing liquid). It seems to be no better or worse at cleaning clothes than my previous non bio liquid. Neither could cope with chocolate stains without a stain shot spray. I have refilled my blue one ( linen scent) and now also have a pink one which may be blossom or similar. I cannot comment on the smell/ scent as I have anosmia. The men in the house have not noticed or commented on washing standards or scent. Washer eggs do seem a lot easier to use - less weight to lug home from the supermarket without the washing liquid. I still occasionally use a biological washing liquid instead for stained items.

Chestnut Tue 27-Sep-22 09:45:41

I had the ultimate test for my ecoegg yesterday, some very badly stained items. I sprayed the stains with Vanish and then washed them with the egg and they were completely gone! The stains were fresh that day, maybe old stains might not be so willing to come out.