Gransnet forums

House and home

I seem to have an unwanted visitor in the kitchen

(82 Posts)
Supernana1 Wed 30-Nov-22 14:36:53

For a while now there has been a gap in the baseboards in the corner under my kitchen cabinets. A couple of times I've noticed my dog's soft toy was tight up against the gap, as if somebody was trying to pull it underneath the cabinets.

Then last night one of my granddaughter's trainers was jammed in the corner. I moved it to join its mate at the back door but an hour later one trainer had disappeared.

I've just removed the baseboards to find one trainer, three soft dog toys, a roll of sandwich bags (completely unrolled), a dog ball, two yellow dusters, two packs of kitchen wipes and a roll of unused microfibre cloths.

What sort of animal would do this? They weren't piled up to make a nest, just scattered here and there.

The kitchen items were obviously taken from a shelf under the sink and the other (dog) items would have been on the kitchen floor. Our dog won't leave his toys in a box, he likes them scattered everywhere.

I'm mystified. By the way, there is no sign of any animal droppings.

Can anybody help please? The dog's sight and hearing aren't too good but I haven't even seen him sniffing at the base of the cabinets.

Whatever is doing this, dragging all these items under the cabinets, is very quiet and leaves no trace behind.

Now I've got to try to put the baseboards back!

Grandmabatty Wed 30-Nov-22 14:57:39

I'd be inclined to think it's a poltergeist! Seriously, I have no idea except mice or rats who are looking for nesting material. I'd rather have a poltergeist

MawtheMerrier Wed 30-Nov-22 15:00:00

Squirrels?
They are incredibly destructive -I am told worse than rats, but either way I’d be tempted to call in some sort of Pest Control,
if only for your peace of mind.

Tizliz Wed 30-Nov-22 15:19:39

We always blame the Borrowers for missing items, unfortunately haven’t found their storage area

Aldom Wed 30-Nov-22 15:23:54

If I were in your situation, before replacing the base board I would definitely call in the pest control people.

Jackiest Wed 30-Nov-22 15:51:19

A mouse could not move a trainer so must be something larger a rat or squirrel.

Theexwife Wed 30-Nov-22 16:14:01

Could your dog be pushing the items through the gap, very odd as there are no droppings.

Callistemon21 Wed 30-Nov-22 16:17:27

Tizliz

We always blame the Borrowers for missing items, unfortunately haven’t found their storage area

Yes, sounds like The Borrowers to me.

grannydarkhair Wed 30-Nov-22 16:18:30

I’ve got no idea as to what could be doing it, but maybe your name should be Supernatural not Supernanal? 😁
I agree with others, get pest control in.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 30-Nov-22 16:18:41

It has to be a rat.

Callistemon21 Wed 30-Nov-22 16:19:26

MawtheMerrier

Squirrels?
They are incredibly destructive -I am told worse than rats, but either way I’d be tempted to call in some sort of Pest Control,
if only for your peace of mind.

Squirrels will chew through electrical cables and can cause chaos in a loft.
We had one in a cavity wall in one house.

Desdemona Wed 30-Nov-22 16:24:36

Sounds like rat-like behaviour but they usually leave droppings and greasy dirty marks all over the place, and get into food supplies.

Alioop Wed 30-Nov-22 18:37:45

I would worry it's a rat....or Elf on the Shelf 🎅sorry couldn't help it

Hetty58 Wed 30-Nov-22 19:16:51

We once lived in the ground floor of a huge Victorian house. The kitchen had a built in wooden dresser (when we moved in) - with a strong, pungent smell. I removed all the drawers and the raised base, intending to clean it with bleach and line with waxed paper. I suspected a rat or mouse nest - but no - I found it packed with dried leaves - and a hedgehog! Outside, behind shrubs, there was a broken airbrick. The dresser came out!

Oreo Wed 30-Nov-22 20:55:52

Whitewavemark2

It has to be a rat.

Yup, sounds like it.

Oreo Wed 30-Nov-22 20:57:29

Hetty58

We once lived in the ground floor of a huge Victorian house. The kitchen had a built in wooden dresser (when we moved in) - with a strong, pungent smell. I removed all the drawers and the raised base, intending to clean it with bleach and line with waxed paper. I suspected a rat or mouse nest - but no - I found it packed with dried leaves - and a hedgehog! Outside, behind shrubs, there was a broken airbrick. The dresser came out!

That’s a great story, a hedgehog at home in your dresser.😄

Deedaa Wed 30-Nov-22 20:59:45

I would have thought there would be some obvious mess if it was a rat. The droppings are very noticeable and they are liable to leave grease marks along the walls.

BlueBelle Wed 30-Nov-22 21:21:00

It could well be a rat I bet I recently inherited one (now deceased) from the house next door which had to be condemned
I unfortunately (for it) trapped it under the kitchen sink without realising and it died but the things in there with it was amazing carrier bags, a shopper bag, a big old potato kitchen washing sponges Brillo pads I never saw any grease marks and not much in the way of droppings however before I caught it it had started to shred the edges of carpet chewed door jambs and nibbled a chunk of Lino in the downstairs toilet
Although I would have preferred to catch it live and let it go Im VERY glad our time together has ended

Spice101 Wed 30-Nov-22 21:31:06

Could it be a glis glis

Callistemon21 Wed 30-Nov-22 21:33:45

Oh yes, they have increased in numbers in some areas and are a real problem but mainly in woodland, I thought.

Spice101 Thu 01-Dec-22 05:12:57

I've a friend who lives near Oxford and she has just had to deal with them in her ceiling. The pest man trapped 10.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 01-Dec-22 05:46:24

I thought you needed a special licence to trap them?

I trust they were not killed😮😮😮

Spice101 Thu 01-Dec-22 11:18:16

Whitewavemark2

Given that it was a professional pest person removing them, I'm sure it was all above board.

Caleo Thu 01-Dec-22 14:02:00

My guess it's a fox. Is there a way into the stash from outdoors?

Please get rid of the animal humanely if you must.

Callistemon21 Thu 01-Dec-22 15:11:12

Whitewavemark2

I trust they were not killed
🤔

Edible dormice have increased from a few escapees from a private collection to an estimated million in the wild.
They're an invasive species which could cause damage to native species of trees, species and cause other damage to property etc.
Like the grey squirrel which has ousted the native red they have upset the balance of nature here.

They're not sweet, tiny little creatures like our native dormice.

They are still eaten in many parts of the world.