House and home

The men load the dishwasher

(102 Posts)
AussieGran59 Tue 31-Jan-23 05:57:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AussieGran59 Tue 31-Jan-23 05:58:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fiorentina51 Tue 31-Jan-23 06:21:31

Tell your husband he can do the washing and peg it out in future. You sit down, put feet up and smile sweetly. 😊

BigBertha1 Tue 31-Jan-23 06:24:04

Not in this house. If rather be didn't do anything in the kitchen...too chaotic...everything gets out in haphazardly and I can't find anything that's been put away. As for hanging out washing no no no.

NotSpaghetti Tue 31-Jan-23 06:45:02

I do the dishwasher. Or rather, I re-do it!
My son is happy for me to load his too.

TerriBull Tue 31-Jan-23 06:49:26

My husband usually loads the dishwasher but not before rinsing, well in some cases practically washing the plates first which begs the question "what's the dishwasher for then?" grin

loopyloo Tue 31-Jan-23 07:28:13

Personality test. That's what loading the dishwasher is. I do it in a very gung-ho way only rinsing very dirty things. DD rinses a lot and redoes my placing. DH has put 1 plate in, in his whole life because he hasn't caught up with the technology.

M0nica Tue 31-Jan-23 07:38:05

I load the dishwasher, because DH says wherever he puts things I move them. I have pointed out that as dirty dishes accumulate in the dishwasher, I move round the dishes that I have previously loaded to maximise the load and make sure everything gets properly washed, but to no avail.

Personally, I think it is just an excuse for his inbuilt inability to put anything back in a cupboard, or drawer anything he has taken out.

Marydoll Tue 31-Jan-23 08:26:08

Along with the remote control, my DH has control of the dishwasher. I leave him too it.

What does annoy me, is that after unloading, he never puts anything away!

MiniMoon Tue 31-Jan-23 09:33:15

I load our dishwasher, DH puts everything in the wrong order. I read that you should not rinse dishes, just scrape off the food remains. The dishwasher detergent needs something to wash off.
As for hanging out the washing, if DH does it it's all upside down, he hangs trousers out by the bottom of the legs. I was taught to hang clothes out on the line the way you wear them.

dragonfly46 Tue 31-Jan-23 09:34:47

My DH has sole charge of clearing up after all meals, loading the dishwasher, unloading it and putting everything away. Apparently I don't do it right!

Witzend Tue 31-Jan-23 09:37:36

I’m happy to let dh do it. He doesn’t cook, so clears up the kitchen every night, loads the DW and unloads it in the morning.,
Suits me fine! I much prefer cooking to clearing up anyway.

Katie59 Tue 31-Jan-23 09:39:12

OH does load the dishwasher in an orderly manner, I just chuck things in, he has never commented on my “style” nor me on his, result harmony.
In general he is tidier than I am.

foxie48 Tue 31-Jan-23 09:46:51

OH loads and empties the dishwasher and he also does the washing and drying of clothes. TBH I'm more than happy to let him get on with it. He was used to looking after himself when we married so it was no big deal and we both worked. He also did his share of childcare too and was far more patient than me. I do the cooking though, although he's quite happy to cook I prefer to do it "my way"

Visgir1 Tue 31-Jan-23 09:47:51

I just "throw" it in knowing DH will come in behind me and sort. Always been the way kids did that too.
I'm happy for him to do it, and most of the time he unloads it.
And packing cases that's a bonus, I dump it in he sorts.. Result!

Nandalot Tue 31-Jan-23 10:02:26

DH is the dishwasher expert. If I do load it he rearranges it and I must say he is better at it and fits more in. I mainly do the unloading.

TerriBull Tue 31-Jan-23 10:03:38

dragonfly46

My DH has sole charge of clearing up after all meals, loading the dishwasher, unloading it and putting everything away. Apparently I don't do it right!

Hey dragonfly and foxie48 that makes three of us grin I just stick to my role of buying the food, prepping and cooking it and leave the highly technical stuff such as loading the dishwasher in the correct order , I can of course do it, but in a sloppy fashion allegedly, shock to the head honcho of clearing up in our house, which I'm happy to say isn't me!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 31-Jan-23 10:07:04

Not in this house.

I load the dishwasher my way, frequently rearrange glasses and cups DH puts in. After mealtimes he stacks pots, pans etc on the worktop above the dishwasher for me 🤣

He does unload it if I forget.

Sparklefizz Tue 31-Jan-23 10:14:17

TerriBull

My husband usually loads the dishwasher but not before rinsing, well in some cases practically washing the plates first which begs the question "what's the dishwasher for then?" grin

I had this problem with my ex, who took offence at me commenting and then began loading the dishwasher with large chunks of food stuck on the plates to make a point. Grrr!

Sparklefizz Tue 31-Jan-23 10:17:39

Someone I knew had 2 dishwashers! They never unloaded the clean stuff but used it as a cupboard once crockery had been washed and dried, and took out clean plates as they needed them, and then put them in the 2nd d/w to be washed... then reversed the process. They reckoned it saved a lot of time and hassle.

Fleurpepper Tue 31-Jan-23 10:17:58

We have a male friend who is like that. Whenever we go to his house for a BBQ, etc, we leave everything out, as twice, with a friend, we packed the dishwasher carefully and he took everything out and started again. OCD or what!

MeowWow Tue 31-Jan-23 10:24:47

I like to load the dishwasher and do move things around if my husband has put things in - he usually put things in the wrong way up or in the wrong place. When I’m at my daughters and load the dishwasher I have to smile when I hear her husband moving things around even though it’s just ready to switch on.

Grantanow Tue 31-Jan-23 10:27:50

Isn't it simply that some people - male or female or other - are better at making maximum use of dishwasher space and preventing fragile items from knocking into each other during the cycle, thus saving on energy cost and breakages? What's the problem?

TerriBull Tue 31-Jan-23 10:30:10

Sometimes my husband has even been known to unload the dishwasher of other members of the family when we are gathered in the kitchen after a meal, so he can surreptitiously say under his breath "look there's food stuck to this plate, that's what happens when you don't wash rinse dishes first!" In fact around the dinner table at family gatherings we've had many a discussion about the most efficient way of loading the dishwasher, it can be as divisive a subject as Brexit it's very dodgy ground as you found out Sparklefizz grin

Fleurpepper Tue 31-Jan-23 10:33:39

Well, I agree with quick rinse first. Disgusting to think of all the food festering around tbh.