Gransnet forums

House and home

Any experience of replacing kitchen cabinet doors?

(26 Posts)
LizzieDrip Fri 03-Feb-23 23:31:10

My kitchen cabinet doors have seen better days but the carcass and integrated appliances are fine. I’m thinking of having one of these door replacement firms in. Has anyone has experience of this and, if so, were you pleased with the result? Was it expensive? Thanks in advance.

Squiffy Sat 04-Feb-23 00:21:46

We had our doors professionally cleaned and sprayed with cellulose paint by a refurbishment company and are delighted with the result. Replacing the doors would have been far more expensive, plus the fact that ours are old and would be different measurements from current sizes. You're welcome to pm me if you'd like more details.

Doodledog Sat 04-Feb-23 10:48:50

Is it ok to piggyback on your thread, please, Lizzydrip?

I am going to look into something like this, too. Our kitchen is dated, but basically sturdy, and as we are pretty much stuck with the layout as is, we may as well change the doors rather than rip out serviceable cupboards. The doors have stained glass in them, so I'm not sure that a respray will be enough - I think we'll have to do a full replacement. The doors are in metric sizes, so that won't be a problem.

Does anyone know whether they can just take the old doors away and put on new ones, without me having to empty all the cupboards, please? Also, I have a cooker hood in the style of the rest of the kitchen - will they be able to replace that? I'm not planning to start looking for a couple of months, but would like to know what's what, so I know what's possible and what questions to ask when I do.

Witzend Sat 04-Feb-23 11:00:33

I thought of this, and had someone round to quote - IIRC about £7k at the time (several years ago now) and it’s not a big kitchen - but she said that the wooden spice racks under wall cupboards on either side of the gas hob would not be allowed now - they’d have to go. But they were fixed before the tiling, so that’d mean all the tiling would have to be changed, too….

All seemed like too much faff and hassle, so my ancient kitchen - over 30 years old - is still here - still producing meals! I’m now going to wait until either the equally ancient oven and combi microwave - or both - pack up - TBH it’s a miracle that they haven’t already - and then have a proper makeover.

Not looking forward to all the mess and faff, not to mention the ££££, but it’ll have to be done sometime.

Ilovecheese Sat 04-Feb-23 11:01:45

We are currently waiting for replacement doors to be fitted. They are made to measure so sizing not a problem.
They have asked that if cupboards cannot be completely emptied, can the area nearest the front of the cupboards be cleared so that the fitters have easy access to the hinges.
We have 12 cupboards and 4 drawers to replace. It is costing £2,200.

Doodledog Sat 04-Feb-23 11:29:25

Thanks, Ilovecheese, that's really helpful. Are you using a national company?

Norah Sat 04-Feb-23 11:48:06

Doodledog

Is it ok to piggyback on your thread, please, Lizzydrip?

I am going to look into something like this, too. Our kitchen is dated, but basically sturdy, and as we are pretty much stuck with the layout as is, we may as well change the doors rather than rip out serviceable cupboards. The doors have stained glass in them, so I'm not sure that a respray will be enough - I think we'll have to do a full replacement. The doors are in metric sizes, so that won't be a problem.

Does anyone know whether they can just take the old doors away and put on new ones, without me having to empty all the cupboards, please? Also, I have a cooker hood in the style of the rest of the kitchen - will they be able to replace that? I'm not planning to start looking for a couple of months, but would like to know what's what, so I know what's possible and what questions to ask when I do.

Our dining room has built in cupboards in the corners (very old home). One set of cupboard doors was ruined in a water event.

We paid a carpenter to build a wooden door set to match the ruined doors. Then both corner cupboards were re-stained and varnished, in place.

Crockery and pretties had to be removed for fitting /refinishing.

Charleygirl5 Sat 04-Feb-23 11:52:08

I had mine replaced last November. It was a franchise, I cannot remember the name but another GN had the same work done in a different part of London and was equally pleased.

I felt the fellow was really honest saying the best part in my kitchen were the hinges so they could stay, saving a few £££. I was asked to move items to the centre of the shelf so that the carpenter had decent access. I did fully empty some cabinets.

I had 5 double and 6 single doors replaced + a 3 drawer cabinet.

It took 3 days and I was delighted with the end result. It did cost around £5K but my kitchen is large and the doors were not cheap.

If anybody is interested I will rake out the name of this franchise.

The doors were not fitted by "handymen".

Doodledog Sat 04-Feb-23 11:54:03

We've just had a wall and alcove lined with bespoke bookcases, and I'm really pleased with them, but I'm just looking for a quick fix in the kitchen.

If someone can come in and simply unscrew one lot of doors and replace them with another lot, that would be great. Even better if I don't have to empty everything first.

Doodledog Sat 04-Feb-23 11:56:17

Charleygirl if you can find the name of the company easily, that would be great. I can add it to my list to check out when the time comes. There is a local one in my home town, but I'd like to get an idea of prices and available options before I start.

Ilovecheese Sat 04-Feb-23 12:18:24

Doodledog I think they are a franchise company. They are called "Dream Doors". We liked that they had a nearby showroom, so that we could see the doors. The rep brought a few samples with him when he came to our house, as well, so we could see what the colours would look like in our kitchen, which is a bit darker than the showroom.

Ilovecheese Sat 04-Feb-23 12:20:23

We are pleased so far, but the doors won't be fitted until about mid March, as they are made to order, so I can only give a partial recommendation at present.

b1zzle Sat 04-Feb-23 12:24:39

I had 'Joe's Doors' who fitted new kitchen worktop, cupboard doors, sink and tap and they were brilliant.

Charleygirl5 Sat 04-Feb-23 13:54:20

I lovecheese that is the franchise I used. For once in my life I had no hassle whatsoever. Naturally anything I wanted, including door handles were more expensive than ordinary handles which I did not like.

I would use them again and I have been singing their praises. The workmanship is top quality but it is just as good as the men who are employed.

Doodledog Sat 04-Feb-23 13:56:46

Thanks smile. I'll look them up and see if they have a branch near me.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 04-Feb-23 14:01:24

Which firm did you buy your original kitchen from?

A lot of them have interchangeable cupboard doors that you can fit yourself.

Check this before going any further.

If the cupboard doors you have are sound but looking a little drab, it should be possible to sand them down and repaint them, which will be cheaper than buying new doors.

Doodledog Sat 04-Feb-23 14:42:41

Was that to me, grandtante? If so, thanks, but I can't sand them, as some of them have stained glass inserts, which is one of the things that date them.

I can't remember where we got the kitchen, but my husband might, and it's a good idea to check out the doors they have on sale, so thanks for that idea too. There are trims and things that I'd need changing too though, so it might be easier to get someone in.

Joseanne Sat 04-Feb-23 14:56:48

I think mine in London were around £4 or £5k a couple of years back. We did it to sell the property. Shiny cream finish.

Another kitchen I sanded down the doors and painted a raspberry colour. Laura Ashley paint - top job!

Doodledog Sat 04-Feb-23 15:40:43

There is a Joe's Doors near me, so thanks for the recommendation. It's on the list.

It's good to hear about prices too, as the websites never give an idea of costs, which is irritating. I'd rather know that something's going to be within budget before getting someone in to quote.

Harris27 Sat 04-Feb-23 15:49:58

My hubby is a great handyman and he’s going to refit my kitchen when I can afford it. We previously had a company change the doors but kept the carcasses it’s done me till now.

Lexisgranny Sat 04-Feb-23 15:58:16

We had our doors/drawers replaced ten years ago and they are still looking good. However the carcasses are starting to show wear and tear and we are looking to have a new kitchen this year. The doors were made by a local company who have also made bedroom furniture for us. We could not fault them on quality,

Whitewavemark2 Sat 04-Feb-23 16:00:15

We did it ourselves years ago.

Dead easy - well DH did it not me, but it seemed dead easy.

LadyGracie Sat 04-Feb-23 21:26:58

We had it done, what a difference, we had a couple of units moved to fill a gap so had room for 3 new ones and extended the worktops.
I have before and after pictures too.

Doodledog Sat 04-Feb-23 21:30:24

If you'd like to share them, I'd love to see them, LadyGracie smile

Mollygo Sat 04-Feb-23 23:27:28

LizzieDrip

My kitchen cabinet doors have seen better days but the carcass and integrated appliances are fine. I’m thinking of having one of these door replacement firms in. Has anyone has experience of this and, if so, were you pleased with the result? Was it expensive? Thanks in advance.

I’ve got someone coming to give me a quote next week. The laminate on a few of our doors has bubbled away from the door.