Gransnet forums

House and home

Navy sofa

(26 Posts)
anna7 Thu 30-Mar-23 16:34:47

Has anyone got a navy sofa and if so, would you recommend navy? I have finally found a sofa I like but can't decide on the colour. I currently have a brown leather sofa which has been very practical and easy to clean. It is looking rather battered after 20 plus years and I do fancy a fabric sofa for a change but I am worried about the practicality with visiting grandchildren and granddogs. I also gave a golden spaniel who loves curling up on the sofa. I was hoping someone might have some advice?

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 30-Mar-23 16:38:28

I wear a lot of navy clothes. Every mark and dog hair shows. Sticky fingers and navy - no way!

grannyrebel7 Thu 30-Mar-23 16:39:06

I've got one and I love it, but navy's my favourite colour anyway. smile

Marydoll Thu 30-Mar-23 16:48:53

I changed from black leather sofas to navy ones. I really like them!

Freya5 Thu 30-Mar-23 17:18:44

anna7

Has anyone got a navy sofa and if so, would you recommend navy? I have finally found a sofa I like but can't decide on the colour. I currently have a brown leather sofa which has been very practical and easy to clean. It is looking rather battered after 20 plus years and I do fancy a fabric sofa for a change but I am worried about the practicality with visiting grandchildren and granddogs. I also gave a golden spaniel who loves curling up on the sofa. I was hoping someone might have some advice?

I don't have a navy sofa, but a large navy chair, in velvet. I vacuum it once a week, otherwise no problems. Looks beautiful. No pets either.
Comfortable and looks as good as it did 18 months ago.

Primrose53 Thu 30-Mar-23 17:24:41

It would be no good in our house. We have huge windows and patio doors and it is such a sunny house. It would fade in no time. Don’t say shutters, I detest the things!

MayBee70 Thu 30-Mar-23 18:12:23

I went to a U3A meeting at someone’s house and she had blue sofas and I thought they looked lovely. Especially as her house was very MCC. They were lighter than navy though and she didn’t have pets. My leather sofa is so practical given that my current dog is a couch potato and I think leather looks better the older it is. But I do hate the brown ness if it which drains all of the colour out if the room ( I don’t like coloured leather at all, though). And cushions don’t stay in place on it, or throws. I remember, when my daughters school decided that the children should wear a uniform and the choice was navy or grey. I liked the sound of navy but somebody said to me do you realise how navy shows up every mark. Grey turned out to be much more practical.

Grammaretto Thu 30-Mar-23 18:27:55

I have a navy settee. It's a John Lewis sofa bed. No problems but I don't have pets.
I have a throw on it and coloured cushions. It's nice.

anna7 Thu 30-Mar-23 18:28:17

Thanks for all your comments. I'm still undecided! I can't have grey because my carpet is a light beige and I don't want to replace it just yet.

Theexwife Thu 30-Mar-23 18:36:17

Navy is lovely for a sofa, there are for and against with any colour, light marks on dark and dark marks on light.

LauraNorderr Thu 30-Mar-23 19:07:19

How about a sofa with loose covers, two navy or different colours for change of mood.

rafichagran Thu 30-Mar-23 19:14:40

I have a navy sofa, it is lovely, I hoover it twice a week, and on the very rare occasion there was a stain, I wiped it with a cloth with cold water.
I have had no problems with it, but I do not have pets.

Windee Thu 30-Mar-23 19:16:48

Love my navy sofa - a sofa bed from Dreams. No pets in our house, hoover when necessary and any marks sponge off easily.

Marydoll Thu 30-Mar-23 19:22:51

We have no problems at all with our navy sofa, marks or otherwise.

anna7 Thu 30-Mar-23 19:40:28

I thinki will go for the navy. I've been looking at sofas for

anna7 Thu 30-Mar-23 19:42:44

Don't know what happened there! I will go for navy. I've been mulling this over for three years now. Its about time I made a decision. No one could accuse me of rushing into thingssmile

anna7 Thu 30-Mar-23 19:44:09

Thanks all for your comments. It did help me make my mind up x

Lomo123 Thu 30-Mar-23 22:08:54

I had navy leather a few years ago. I loved it, only got rid when springs went. Next time I replace I, ll go back to navy.

Nannylovesshopping Thu 30-Mar-23 22:21:36

I have a navy blue velvet sofa, I love it, so does the spaniel 😳🤣

Gin Thu 30-Mar-23 22:26:34

We had navy covers but they faded very quickly. OK if your room is not in direct sun

maytime2 Fri 31-Mar-23 10:27:50

I have a navy sofa and chair, purchased 4 years ago. I paid extra to have that special coating put on it. It's called "something" Guard. I can't remember the correct phrase. This was done because I had young grandchildren and thought of sticky fingers, although to be honest, I probable have marked it more myself. But any mark comes straight off after wiping with a damp cloth.
I made sure to position the sofa away from the windows, the side of the chair does catch the light. In summer I pull down the "perfect fit blinds" and also use a throw to cover it.

Cherrytree59 Fri 31-Mar-23 16:10:33

anna what about trying a large navy throw or couple of small ones to see if you like the colour coordination with your existing carpet and curtains.
Plus testing dogs (hair) and grandchildren climbing sitting etc, before making an expensive purchase

JaneJudge Fri 31-Mar-23 16:51:03

maytime2

I have a navy sofa and chair, purchased 4 years ago. I paid extra to have that special coating put on it. It's called "something" Guard. I can't remember the correct phrase. This was done because I had young grandchildren and thought of sticky fingers, although to be honest, I probable have marked it more myself. But any mark comes straight off after wiping with a damp cloth.
I made sure to position the sofa away from the windows, the side of the chair does catch the light. In summer I pull down the "perfect fit blinds" and also use a throw to cover it.

scotchgard?

I agree though, get one with anti stain (of whatever brand) and it will be fine

anna7 Fri 31-Mar-23 18:00:15

Thanks all . I will be trying your ideas. I have got a fabric sample and I keep trying to scratch it and rub it on the dogs fur to see if the fur sticks. I've chucked a bit of red wine at it too (my favourite tipple) All good so far. I have quite a large living room so hopefully navy will not be too overpowering. All though it isn't a dark room it doesn't really get a lot of direct sunlight so hopefully fading won't be a problem. No-one could accuse me of buying on impulse! It is a major purchase and I want to get it right.

NanaDana Fri 31-Mar-23 18:07:35

Navy sofa and a Golden Spaniel? Shame it's not a Black Lab... wink