Gransnet forums

House and home

Re-using and upcycling stuff.

(20 Posts)
choughdancer Sun 28-May-23 12:11:01

I see that the last re-using thread has been deleted, so I thought I'd start another one!

I use metal colanders (from charity shops or discarded) for hanging baskets in the garden, and for herbs that need very good drainage. I've got strawberries, flowers, thymes and a sage in them currently.

I used to hang them with some old chain I had, but ran out. I've now used fruit nets, looping them together to whatever length I want, then tying them onto the handles. I've only used green ones for this and they just look like rope, and are super strong.

Norah Sun 28-May-23 14:00:27

choughdancer

I see that the last re-using thread has been deleted, so I thought I'd start another one!

I use metal colanders (from charity shops or discarded) for hanging baskets in the garden, and for herbs that need very good drainage. I've got strawberries, flowers, thymes and a sage in them currently.

I used to hang them with some old chain I had, but ran out. I've now used fruit nets, looping them together to whatever length I want, then tying them onto the handles. I've only used green ones for this and they just look like rope, and are super strong.

We use all sort of old crockery, kitchen ware, and windows in the wild garden. In the trees, worked into old farm equipment.

I painted an old tractor purple, built a herb garden on it using pots.

I paint window frames bright colours, hang them in trees to sparkle.

The list is long.

Norah Sun 28-May-23 14:27:32

We also plant veg in all sort of year old containers - out on the garden. We've old water troughs some planted with tomatoes, some with peppers - easy to water and properly maintain. Lovely to look upon.

Foxygloves Sun 28-May-23 15:02:28

I think it was deleted because of the previously banned "member" who started it.
But I agree there is scope for good ideas.
Ice lolly sticks to identify seeds in trays.

Aldom Sun 28-May-23 19:19:01

There's another thread currently running. It's asking if GN members wear shorts in the summer.
I don't have any shorts, but your up - cycling thread set me thinking about the two pairs of denim jeans I was about to dispose of in Textiles.
Instead I shall up - cycle them by cutting them off just above the knee. Two pairs of gardening shorts!! Happy bunny. grin

Norah Sun 28-May-23 20:27:21

Aldom

There's another thread currently running. It's asking if GN members wear shorts in the summer.
I don't have any shorts, but your up - cycling thread set me thinking about the two pairs of denim jeans I was about to dispose of in Textiles.
Instead I shall up - cycle them by cutting them off just above the knee. Two pairs of gardening shorts!! Happy bunny. grin

HA.

I up-cycle lots of my husband's Church/ dress shirts for my garden, art, or cooking wear - I cut the sleeves to my length and hem, sew the removed cuffs on at my wrist level, as pockets. Smocks.

Casdon Sun 28-May-23 20:32:02

Foxygloves

I think it was deleted because of the previously banned "member" who started it.
But I agree there is scope for good ideas.
Ice lolly sticks to identify seeds in trays.

Not the elderly person, surely?

Foxygloves Sun 28-May-23 20:37:45

I couldn’t possibly comment wink

tiredoldwoman Sun 28-May-23 23:38:48

Norah, your garden sounds a delight ! Is it possible to post up a photo ?

tiredoldwoman Sun 28-May-23 23:39:19

Norah , or are you on Instagram ?

LRavenscroft Mon 29-May-23 08:22:11

Using old net curtains to make seed bags with which I will cover flowers as they dry to catch the seeds for next year.

JackyB Mon 29-May-23 10:15:20

I don't know if you have these in the UK but here in Germany you can pack loose veg in net bags which are reusable. There is a setting on the scales to account for the tare weight.

I have made some of these out of old net curtains. Also laundry bags for washing smalls.

I used an old sweat shirt of my boys' to make a cover-up for art lessons at school for my DGS. I cut off the cuffs, cut the sweat shirt (which was stained and misshapen) across the sleeves and sewed a piece of old shower curtain to replace the bottom half. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture.

Beechnut Mon 29-May-23 16:21:42

Yes, we have those bags here JackyB, and in the past I have made them from net curtain.

3dognight Mon 29-May-23 16:36:27

On the allotment I use 500ml plastic water/pop bottles with the necks cut off. These go on the tops of my canes over which the netting is draped then secured for brassica crops.

They are discarded everywhere I walk the dogs so I just collect them as needed.

Net curtains for allotment netting.

Pallets to make compost heap area, pathways.

DamaskRose Mon 29-May-23 17:13:34

choughdancer

I love this idea choughdancer, I’m just off to the charity shops!! We use all sorts of containers for growing things in the veg garden - an old fish box, sink, buckets, anything you can put a plant in. Used broken up paving slabs and a stone fireplace to build raised beds. Recycled DD’s little dresses into a quilt, ditto some of DH’s shirts. Love recycling and re-using.

keepcalmandcavachon Sat 03-Jun-23 21:00:29

I keep some furry trimmings (curly, cream and very soft) when my little dog goes to the groomers. The garden birds love recycling it into cosy nests!

Hetty58 Sat 03-Jun-23 21:19:55

3dognight, thanks for posting about the (sensible) bottle cane toppers. A grandson wanted to know why I have a collection of empty snail shells in the shed. They're for cane tops too - just more decorative then practical.

LRavenscroft Sun 04-Jun-23 06:14:02

We drill holes in broken tea pots and put plants in the garden. They look gorgeous in flower.

choughdancer Sun 04-Jun-23 13:37:58

I use lampshades turned over and painted with preserving paint or varnish as hanging baskets, and some are perched on the top of a plastic pipe, which is decoupaged, painted copper, or left as they are. I use old plastic bowls (charity shops with poles punched in the bottom inside them to hold the soil.

I also buy laundry baskets whenever I see them in charity shops. Plastic ones have thin wood (old T&G mainly) painted and wired on; basketwork ones are painted or varnished and lined with plastic bags.

For any containers that have messy tops I use copper tape used for slugs. It weathers beautifully, just like copper does.

choughdancer Sun 11-Jun-23 13:11:41

I re-use the holey plastic bags that bulbs often come in to line flower pots. It stops the compost falling through, but lets the pot drain. Also broken up polystyrene packaging in the bottom of large pots for the same reason; also unlike large pots with crocks in the bottom, the pots remain light to move.