Gransnet forums

House and home

Fabric conditioners - are they a con?

(111 Posts)
Rodborough49 Tue 30-May-23 12:24:04

Do we really need fabric conditioners? Our grannies never used them and probably relied on washing having a good blow on the line for that bit of extra "something". I am just wondering if they are another of the things we are being persuaded we have to have with yet another plastic bottle. Are there conditioner fans out there?

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 30-May-23 12:26:12

I use a detergent that has its own ‘ built in’ conditioner, but MrOops quite likes having his skin scraped off with Washing Line dried towels. me? Not so much

twinnytwin Tue 30-May-23 12:28:24

I used to use them but decided not to bother buying any several years ago and not found any difference to my washing.

Norah Tue 30-May-23 12:29:36

Oopsadaisy1

I use a detergent that has its own ‘ built in’ conditioner, but MrOops quite likes having his skin scraped off with Washing Line dried towels. me? Not so much

I so hate line dried towels - tumble dry every time!

rosie1959 Tue 30-May-23 12:30:48

I use them as they do improve the softness after drying outside but we live in a very hard water area

fiorentina51 Tue 30-May-23 12:34:33

I use fabric conditioner if I'm washing clothing made from synthetic fibres. I found it helps to reduce static and that awful clinging.

Juliet27 Tue 30-May-23 12:43:30

Isn’t it generally advised not to use conditioner regularly on towels as it decreases absorbency?
I quite like line dried towels…you can exfoliate as well as dry yourself! ☺️

grandtanteJE65 Tue 30-May-23 12:52:56

I haven't used them since the 1970s as the ones you could get then set up an allergic reaction in me.

I use vinegar instead when I wash woollen garments in the machine otherwise I don't bother. I don't use hair conditioner either, but my own blend of rose water and vinegar.

So yes, to me all these conditioners are just smart ways of getting money out of us.

tanith Tue 30-May-23 12:56:10

Never add it to towels but do use it for most other laundry everything is line dried except in Winter if it’s very wet out. It’s just personal preference nobody has to use it.

AreWeThereYet Tue 30-May-23 13:05:44

Haven't used fabric conditioner for about 15 years. I use vinegar instead. Fabric conditioner is bad for towels and microfibre cloths anyway, as it leaves a coating that stops them being absorbent. I also put soda crystals in the wash to soften the water which means I can reduce the amount of washing liquid.

crazyH Tue 30-May-23 13:08:08

I agree - fabric conditioners are a waste of money - I’m on the last cupful and that’s it !

TerriBull Tue 30-May-23 13:16:01

Never use fc, not for years, superfluous imo, my laundry always smells fresh, it's all in the airing, this wonderful windy weather is superb for drying outside right now. Fabric conditioner has a very chemical smell, I often think my grandchidlren's clothes reek of it, but of course that's none of my business so I keep that opinion to myself!

fancythat Tue 30-May-23 13:26:56

I use it on some towels.
People complain at me when I dont.

Aldom Tue 30-May-23 13:28:08

I don't use fabric conditioner. The washing is always washed in Sainsbury's delicate and wool wash liquid. This leaves washing smelling clean and fresh. No problem with static.

Auntieflo Tue 30-May-23 13:32:11

I haven't used Fabric conditioner for years, since I realised it was making my washing machine smelly and left the dispenser drawer dirty.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 30-May-23 13:41:01

Can’t see the need for it and some of them stink! Definitely not a fan.

Bella23 Tue 30-May-23 13:42:42

One of the family is allergic to softeners which made the decision for me. I admit it has made no difference and I still line dry whenever I can. Yes, the towels are hard but good for exfoliating.

hallgreenmiss Tue 30-May-23 13:47:14

I use fabric conditioner if I'm washing clothing made from synthetic fibres. I found it helps to reduce static and that awful clinging
Same here!

Jaxjacky Tue 30-May-23 13:50:20

I’ve never used conditioners, full of chemicals, or owned a tumble dryer, which as well as having a hefty carbon footprint spews microfibres into the air.

FannyCornforth Tue 30-May-23 13:53:11

Norah I like my towels tumble dried too, but MrC has put them on the line today.
I won’t say anything though smile

Davida1968 Tue 30-May-23 13:59:16

I used to use FC, but gave up on it years ago. Haven't ever noticed the difference. Posssibly this is because we've always lived in "soft water" areas, but we've stayed in lots of holiday locations (here and abroad) and never had problems there either.

Forsythia Tue 30-May-23 14:02:52

I do use it but buy the ones for sensitive skin. I’m happy with the results they give.

Wyllow3 Tue 30-May-23 14:11:25

I use Sainsburys 2 in one tablets which are not plastic coated tablets and come in cardboard box. Works well for me.

Kim19 Tue 30-May-23 14:16:57

Only use it for towels.

FannyCornforth Tue 30-May-23 14:25:33

Kim I’ve heard that you shouldn’t use it on towels - it coats the fibres and stops them being as absorbent as they should be

(I still do though!)