Gransnet forums

House and home

Kitchen or sauna?

(31 Posts)
Lexisgranny Tue 28-Nov-23 13:14:44

A short time ago we had a new kitchen fitted. We are very pleased with it apart from the condensation. The hob and hood are both made of glass.

When cooking on the hob we get condensation on walls and cupboard doors and you can see the steam right across the room and right up to the ceiling lights.

The condensation from the hood also drips down and forms a small puddle on the hob, or should it be necessary to remove the lid, could presumably fall into the saucepan.

The manufacturer’s service department say that during the winter months when central heating is on this is to be expected.

(We previously had a glass hob but the hood was integrated with the cupboards and was metal underneath the wood) and didn’t have any problems.

My question is whether, (having turned the hood on for quarter of an hour prior to cooking and leaving it on for quarter of an hour afterwards, together with ensuring that all saucepans have lids), any of you have experienced the condensation I described, which, whilst appreciating that we must accept some condensation, feel this is excessive?

I would really appreciate any comments - I am dreading all the extra cooking during the Christmas season at the moment, and cooking with the back door open is a bit chilly!

Grannytomany Tue 28-Nov-23 13:27:30

Are you sure the hob is working correctly? Is it vented to the outside of the house property? What you describe sounds similar to the condensation we had ina bathroom when the ceiling extractor fan outlet got blocked and couldn’t expel the extracted steam.

My daughter bought a house where they discovered that the hob had never been connected to the outlet vent so even though the hob itself was working the steam had nowhere to go except back into the room.

I hope you manage to sort it.

Lexisgranny Tue 28-Nov-23 15:18:40

Thanks Grannytomany I appreciate your reply, unfortunately the venting to the outside has been rechecked and no problem discovered. The fitters have actually changed the size of the ducting to see whether that would help, but unfortunately it didn’t. As you can imagine it’s very annoying.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Nov-23 15:36:26

Does your hood have a ‘reverse function’? My previous one did (I have no idea why) and once I accidentally touched the wrong switch so the steam was blown into the kitchen rather than being sucked out. It does sound as though the suction function on yours isn’t working, ie the hood mechanism is faulty.

Lexisgranny Tue 28-Nov-23 15:45:11

Not sure, but I will have a look and check out the leaflet. The manufacturers are reluctant to send out a repair man because they do not feel anything is wrong!

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Nov-23 15:49:46

Ha! They should try using it!

Marmin Tue 28-Nov-23 15:51:02

We have also had a new kitchen fitted this year. We have a four ring gas hob and a hood extractor above. We have had no condensation at all.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Nov-23 15:55:44

My extractor fan is so fierce on the highest setting (which I never need) that it can pull the kitchen door shut.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Nov-23 16:07:46

It doesn't sound right and they should investigate further. It's to be expected is not the right answer!

I have a gas hob with extractor fan over and don't get condensation like that.
We do have a proper extractor fan fitted in the utility room which is helpful in removing cooking smells etc (and if DH burns something!).

It doesn't sound fit for purpose.

karmalady Tue 28-Nov-23 16:08:24

Hold a thin long strip of tissue up to the vent, It should be pulled towards the extract. If it does not then the extract fan is not strong enough

karmalady Tue 28-Nov-23 16:11:19

Do you also have window vents, it could be that you are not getting enough air in to form the extract current. I don`t ever get condensation in my kitchen, even with my hood on lowest setting

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Nov-23 16:19:07

karmalady

Hold a thin long strip of tissue up to the vent, It should be pulled towards the extract. If it does not then the extract fan is not strong enough

I'll try that!

Katie59 Tue 28-Nov-23 16:31:47

If you have condensation open a window and ventilate the house when you are cooking. Your cooker hood should do that unless it’s one that just filters the grease out.

Lexisgranny Tue 28-Nov-23 19:19:14

Thank you for all the suggestions, I now have some ammunition to fire at the manufacturer!

annodomini Tue 28-Nov-23 22:33:34

I've never had that kind of experience, either with a gas hob and an electric extractor hood or with my current induction hob with a hood over it. I would not have accepted the explanation that drips from the hood landing on the hob is a situation 'to be expected'.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Nov-23 22:49:15

www.aeg.co.uk/support/support-articles/cooking/cooker-hoods/the-cooker-hood-is-dripping-water/#:~:text=Condensation%20in%20cooker%20hoods%20is,preventing%20the%20formation%20of%20condensation

However - DD has an induction hob and I've never noticed any condensation.

Sally97 Thu 30-Nov-23 19:10:22

I had the same problem with my previous cooker hood. It constantly dripped n there was still condensation. We also changed the duct pipe which didn't cure the problem. Did the paper test n also could see the steam coming out of the duct pipe outside.
Company said it was because we had an induction hob.
Moved house got the same induction hob but a stronger extractor. No condensation problems here. Electrian said the other one must not have been strong enough.

NotSpaghetti Thu 30-Nov-23 20:24:18

I had no idea re the induction hob thing!
How interesting. And obvious if you think about it.

JackyB Thu 30-Nov-23 21:04:01

I was told that the window should be open and door closed even when you were using the extractor hood. I never switch it on anyway. No problem with condensation and I only open the window if it's really hot and/or steamy (or if something catches fire! 🔥 )

pce612 Fri 01-Dec-23 11:13:13

Get on to trading standards, the extractor is clearly faulty. You should reject it as it is not fit for purpose.

cc Fri 01-Dec-23 12:10:36

I have a newish kitchen and an extractor that works pretty well, even though it is virtually on the limit for the length of ducting. It really does sound as though there is something wrong with your hob Lexisgranny

Nandalot Fri 01-Dec-23 12:50:15

I have an induction hob, and only use the extractor fan some of the time and have no condensation.

Grantanow Fri 01-Dec-23 12:56:05

I don't see why an induction hob is relevant to the condensation problem. Unlike a gas hob it doesn't generate water vapour from burning gas to add to the steam from pans.

NotSpaghetti Fri 01-Dec-23 14:43:14

The link provided above explains why Grantanow.

Obviously if you only heat where the pan touches there's no escaping heat to warm up the hood.

cc Fri 01-Dec-23 14:54:20

I have an induction hob and have never experienced the dripping problem and I don't know anybody who has. Maybe if your hood is powerful enough to pull air through effectively there is relatively less water vapour compared to the overall volume extracted.
If I forget to turn on the extractor I get a lot of condensation and dripping, but none at all if it is on.