Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Spending the kids' inheritance?

(28 Posts)
Magsie Fri 17-Jun-11 09:03:56

A couple I know, deny themselves treats so they can leave their children a decent sum of money in their will. The children are all professionals and already have a good standard of living. I know it's their money but the husband sometimes looks a bit wistful and I wonder if he's entirely convinced!

bikergran Wed 03-Aug-11 08:46:48

greenmossgiel no equity release is out.. it was hubby who wanted to find out about it...so I gave in and said right!! yes get some one up...(I sat there with arms folded lol)..man asked "and what do you think Sue"? so I gave him my opinion and told him it wasnt my! idea to get him up..so think he got the message and juts answered some of the questions..and we have seen sight nor sound of him since lol.....
goldengirl yes It is nice to be able to help your children out now as and when they need it...I would love to do this put its impossible as we dont have any "spare" but plenty tied up in the house but cant get at it...very frustrating....im sure your children wouldnt mind their inheritance being reduced, and no im sure they wouldnt want you to scrimp etc...
OHH lol I didnt mean I have a win!! on th lottery every month lol..(i wish)..I menat I do the irish lottery about once a month (won £230) first time then 3 weeks of £36 !!!! nothing since lol....ok by all...smile

Baggy Wed 03-Aug-11 09:41:37

I'm not 'expecting' anything from my own mother when she dies. If there is anything, that will be nice, but to expect it would be in rather bad taste, I feel. I'm sure my own daughters feel the same. Any proudly independent adult would.

That's not to say there's anything wrong with leaving an inheritance if you can and/or helping out when and where you can if it is required. With respect to the helping out, I imagine most parents do this from time to time, some more than others for whatever reason. But the way the government is blethering on about old people costing so much to 'keep', part of me thinks that any positive equity I might have in my later years will be swallowed up in merely surviving.