Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

pre-pay funerals

(33 Posts)
baggythecrust! Thu 07-Jul-11 17:40:02

My relations can feeed me to the vultures for all I care.

jangly Thu 07-Jul-11 14:11:04

Can't we have a quick funeral for this thread now?

Barrow Thu 07-Jul-11 11:05:46

If you have some money to spare why not put it into a savings account where it can gain interest for you and not someone else! Saving a little every week or month would soon mount up (providing you can trust yourself not to spend it!!).

greenmossgiel Wed 06-Jul-11 18:19:50

Sounds good to me susiecb!!!! grin

susiecb Wed 06-Jul-11 17:17:15

I'm not doing it either. His mother did it some years ago as she didnt want anyone to worry as she was selling up her little flat to pay for her care and she used some of the little left over to pay for a nice Co-op do. I'm not doing it as if there is £3K going spare in my house I'm off to the Caribbean with it. The kids can take the cost of the funeral out of the house when I go and like you all I dont want much spent- spend it on me now!!!! Just having a nice conservatory built to drink G & Ts in whilst reading a dirty book with a concert on the radiosmile

Notsogrand Wed 06-Jul-11 15:24:08

I completely agree greenmossgiel! Cardboard coffin and get all the kids to draw on it would be just fine by me.

When arranging my husband's funeral I can remember thinking that the swanky metal coffin handles I was paying for, would probably be unscrewed before 'the cremation bit', then re-sold over and over again. hmm

greenmossgiel Wed 06-Jul-11 15:02:09

I don't believe in pre-pay funerals. I've told my family that I want no fuss and to make it as cheap as possible, with no minister who doesn't know me, warbling over how lovely I was! I don't see the point of giving money to companies now, so that they can use my money long (hopefully!!!) before I die.I'm needing to use my money now, not hand it over to some faceless greedy person who has discovered a market in grief and financial 'fears'. I know funerals have to cost something, and you don't get them for nothing, but the absolute minimum will do me just fine!!!! grin

Debbie1 Wed 06-Jul-11 12:13:14

Hello,

I'm 75 and have not put any money aside for my funeral. I was wondering if anyone has started a pre-pay funeral plan at my age and why? I'm not sure what I should do.

Thank you,
Debbie