Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Father's estate

(11 Posts)
nanny1 Wed 02-Nov-11 13:38:24

Off to see the solicitor tomorrow to sort out my father's estate. I don't feel grown up enough to do things like this sad

Carol Wed 02-Nov-11 13:48:25

Hope it goes smoothly - we found the bank staff were very helpful with us distributing what needed to be shared, and advising about selling the house. It's a strange situation to be in so soon after losing a parent. Best wishes x

glammanana Wed 02-Nov-11 14:00:15

Hoping all goes well for you to-morrow don't worry if it all seem's a bit daunting and all the legal stuff doesn't sink in at the time,I took a note book with me and made some bullet point note's and looked at them a few day's later when I felt more confident with the information that the solicitor gave me. thanks

jingle Wed 02-Nov-11 14:19:29

Hope it all goes ok nanny1. sad

elderflower1 Wed 02-Nov-11 14:36:34

Best wishes nanny1

greenmossgiel Wed 02-Nov-11 15:19:02

Can someone go with you, nanny1? Take your time and don't be afraid to ask questions if you're not sure, or don't understand. xx

Notsogrand Wed 02-Nov-11 19:37:07

Whatever the reason for seeing them, one of the most important questions to ask any legal representative is, 'What do you mean by that?' (Repeat as required!)

Hope it goes well for you nanny1.

nanachrissy Wed 02-Nov-11 19:41:18

Good luck Nanny1

nanny1 Thu 03-Nov-11 07:02:14

Thank you my dear friends smile

I think I am becoming addicted to you all - sometimes I when I feel as if no one care (feeling sorry for my self again) I log onto GN, and here you all are with a cheery word, a hug and a smile. When I am struggling for courage and stumbling along - here you all are again smile

I feed a tad selfish at times when I read about some of your troubles and challenges.

In so many ways you are all such an inspiration.

gracesmum Thu 03-Nov-11 16:58:38

Losing a parent is the ultimate step in growing up and I send my sympathies on your loss. Hope it goes well, solicitors and bank people can be very helpful. I was my father's executor- he died 8 years after Mum, and my sister who had been in this country when he died, decided to b****r back to Canada where she lives leaving me to organise funeral and do everything. That's another story,but I did my best as I felt I owed it to him and was proud of my achievement after it was all done.
(I hope they would have been proud of me - last "duty" as a daughter)

goldengirl Thu 03-Nov-11 21:47:57

Good luck, Nanny1. The only bit of advice I would add is to make notes of your meetings - date, name of contact, points discussed, any actions - follow ups, telephone calls etc.