Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

'Mackenzie Friends'

(4 Posts)
GadaboutGran Wed 16-Nov-11 17:43:17

Has anyone had experience of the use of a Mackenzie Friend in a Small Claims Court.

My son-in-law has a learning disability which makes it hard for him to process information and questions. My husband went to a small claims court with him last week over a dispute about an investment in his band back in 2003 which the investor now claims was a loan and is demanding a high sum plus interest.
Though he had requested a helper because of his disability the Judge ignored this and treated my husband with a high degree of arrogance when he shook his head to help sil when he was confused about a question. As it happened, the case was postponed, unebleivably as the claimant said he'd not had time to submit papers which had been due two weeks before the case. He now has the case hanging over him for at least another 2 months but at least now has time to find out exactly how one of these Mackenzie Friends can be used.

Annobel Wed 16-Nov-11 17:57:35

I didn't know anything about this, and I am sure you have already had a look at Google, but I found this site and a few others exist:

www.aboutsmallclaims.co.uk/mckenzie-friend-non-legal-friend-in-court.html

greenmossgiel Wed 16-Nov-11 18:13:37

Could your husband perhaps be put forward as 'an appropriate adult' for your son-in-law, Gadaboutgran?

Seventimesfive Sat 26-Nov-11 16:49:43

My daughter and I considered this when dealing with a debt that she was left with by her ex partner but did not pursue it. What I discovered on the internet was that you need to let the court know in advance that you want to do this and that it is at the courts discretion. It sounds as if it would be appropriate so good luck!