Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Do you have any irrational economies?

(38 Posts)
Oxon70 Fri 02-Dec-11 20:32:45

I miss the value washing up liquid that was thin, from Tesco - it was cheap and I didn't have to water it! I use half brillo pads too. Makes sense.

I now use half the soap powder in the washing machine that I used to use - since I read online from Ruth Goodwin that since she was in the Victorian Farm she doesn't use it...I can't quite do that, but I do find the clothes come out just as clean. The packet of soap lasts for ages, too.

And - a tip for next year possibly, since they are saying today that there may be a water shortage. (A habit I kept from the last draught!)
- I measured how much water I had to run from the hot tap before it came hot, and it was about two litres....so now I run it into a jug and use it to water the house plants.

nanachrissy Fri 02-Dec-11 20:12:06

I water down the washing up liquid too, as I find it much too frothy, and I also water down the liquid for my washing machine.
Then I spend the money I've saved on something nice for me to use in the shower! wink

raggygranny Fri 02-Dec-11 19:16:04

I cut Brillo pads in half - a whole one is rarely needed and once they are wet they tend to go rusty (so perhaps not irrational?). I used to do the matches saving thing too, until I got a hob with ignition.

gracesmum Fri 02-Dec-11 19:12:06

Are you saying you don't wear them Ariadne?
I also like making (just edible) meals out of things from the freezer often bought as a BOGOF - now those rarely save any money

Annika Fri 02-Dec-11 19:04:15

Water down the washing up liquid is that saving money ? I do it, and when there is only a small amount left in the bottle I stand it on its head

Ariadne Fri 02-Dec-11 18:04:51

Knickers! I cannot bear to spend a fortune on them.

jingl Fri 02-Dec-11 18:04:40

I use those foam cleaning cloths with a scrim, sort of woven in, for washing up. I always cut them in half first. Question: is it more economical to boil them up when they get a bit murky (mostly tea stains (DH's doing)) or throw it away and start on the other half? (I have to use bio wash powder in the boiling water)

Butternut Fri 02-Dec-11 18:00:05

Using up left-overs in the fridge and quite a few other completely rational economies, too. It pleases me. smile

Annika Fri 02-Dec-11 17:22:45

Greatnan I used to do that with the matches what a silly idea that was
I do not turn on the light when I need to go up or downstairs.
I now walk up and down them in the semi dark using the light from the sitting room. I tell myself that I am saving electricty but as DH has told me the small amount I save will not make up for it when I fall downstairs and break my leg ! confused

gracesmum Fri 02-Dec-11 17:22:18

DH doesn't flush the loo at night on the "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down" to save water.
I refuse to share a bathroom with him.I wonder why?
I always fill the washing up liquid bottle with water to use the last drops - but that is common sensewink

greenmossgiel Fri 02-Dec-11 17:18:21

I put the last bit of soap onto the new one....blush

shysal Fri 02-Dec-11 17:14:33

Yes, I am really mean with kitchen roll. I rarely use a whole piece, usually tearing it in half. A roll lasts for months. blush On the other hand I am quite wasteful when it comes to loo roll, use it for all sorts of things!hmm

Greatnan Fri 02-Dec-11 16:42:16

I used to have a gas cooker that had to be lit with a match,and I used to save the spent match to light one burner from another. Eventually, I realised how daft it was and bought a petrol wand ( I have never been able to use a cigarette lighter)

My latest economy is perhaps not so silly, as it is saving water (not that we are short of it round here!) My toilet broke, and while I was waiting for the plumber I had to use a bucket to flush. Next day, when the toilet was repaired, I looked at my full bath and thought .......hm, no point in wasting that. Now, I use it to wash my previous day's clothes, as I have no machine, and then to flush the toilet. My water is metered, so it probably is saving me a tiny amount of cash, but it mainly makes me feel good thatI am not wasting a resource that is so scarce in some parts of the world.