Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Investing in an Enterpise Investment Scheme, and Capital Gains Tax

(5 Posts)
Elegran Thu 19-Jan-12 10:49:30

The thread title makes it sound as though I am a millionaire wanting to philanthropically help new businesses. I wish.

We have just sold a small second home, as DH is now terminally ill and we will not be using it. An independent Financial Advisor has been looking into all our finances and giving us advice on various things. He will return tomorrow to get our decisions.

Most of it is straightforward, but we are undecided about what to do with the lump sum for the property. As we bought it for a song many years ago, and have done most of the upgrading etc. ourselves (therefore no receipts for work done) we seem on paper to have made a profit, so will be liable for Capital Gains Tax.

He is keen on putting it into an enterprise Investment Scheme which gives loans to small unquoted companies doing Solar Power installations. The CGT would be delayed for three years, and - a tempting consideration - if DH dies within that time, his half of the Capital Gains Tax liability dies with him. Advisor thinks that there is a risk in the investment, but not enough to dissuade us from investing. DH is ultra-cautious and not entirely convinced.

Does anyone have any ideas about what the level of risk of these small companies failing actually is, statistically, or any opinions on this?

AnthonyGrumps Thu 19-Jan-12 17:32:42

Personally I would be extremely cautious about investing in these companies. The government has cut the tariffs received by customers and as a result the demand for solar panels has dropped. We were looking to purchase solar panels at the end of last year and because of the changes we changed our minds, as did many others. Tread carefully please.

Elegran Thu 19-Jan-12 19:00:34

The fact that he may get 2 1/2 % commission might be influencing him - that is £2,500. How much commission is standard to an independent financial advisor advising you to choose a certain product?

Maybe we'll put half into it (DH's half?) and the other half somewhere else. The EIS he is recommending is with a solid reputable organisation but.......

kittylester Thu 19-Jan-12 19:48:03

There are other renewable energy companies that are worth a look but I don't know whether they attract favourable tax breaks. We have quite a few investments in things like carbon capture, hydrogen fuel cells etc. My husband has done loads of research since he did an OU course about renewables. I don't think any of them will make us a fortune (in the short term anyway) but must be the way forward. Hopefully, they will be a good legacy for our children and grandchildren in terms of the future environment!

Elegran Thu 19-Jan-12 21:28:28

Thanks Kittylester and AnthonyGrumps*

I shall do a bit more research tomorrow so as to get things into perspective. Don't mind a small gamble if I know the odds but it is difficult to predict anything in the current climate. Knowing what commission other rival companies are offering would help establish how "independent" the advice is!