Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Now I'm 60....

(48 Posts)
crimson Sun 12-Feb-12 19:44:07

But won't get my state pension till next year, I'm looking at what things I can get a reduction/discount on [I've been doing my sums, trying to work out when, if ever I can stop working!]. I've read that Pet plan will give me a small reduction on my dog insurance; Boots offer 10% off; National Trust 10% [but only when I've been with them for 5 years; got another year to go], and I get my B&Q Wednesday discount. Are there any other things I'm entitled to that I haven't heard of? I get a discount at the cinema and theatre [but not for every show]. Oh, and free prescriptions.

crimson Sun 12-Feb-12 19:45:01

...every little helps wink....

Carol Sun 12-Feb-12 19:58:08

I found that Animal Friends worked out cheaper for pet insurance, even with a discount.

Annika Sun 12-Feb-12 20:01:09

Once you are 60 ( never you don't look it wink) you will get Heating Allowance smile

crimson Sun 12-Feb-12 21:00:49

...no heating allowance till next year, I'm afraid [and that by the skin of my teeth...]

Carol Sun 12-Feb-12 21:06:51

Free eye tests?

tanith Sun 12-Feb-12 21:11:52

Free bus pass.. I got some cheap theatre tickets by asking when I rang to book.. grin

Nannyliz Sun 12-Feb-12 22:03:39

I applied for my bus pass having reached the grand age of 60 just before Christmas last year and was informed that I wasn't eligible until I'm 61 and three quarters!!!!! S'not fair DH got his when he was 60!!!! sad

Carol Sun 12-Feb-12 22:05:48

I produce my bus pass whenever I go to the cinema or theatre to get tickets and usually get a couple of pounds off. It's great for travel round Manchester, as I can travel around free on the Metrolink tram, too.

tanith Sun 12-Feb-12 22:11:07

My DH also got his when he was 60.. how does that work then Nannyliz?

Nannyliz Sun 12-Feb-12 22:20:34

I really don't know, tanith, it doesn't seem fair at all. It maybe just the area I live in, or maybe it's got something to do with the fact that they've moved the goalposts for retirement age. I don't get my state pension until I'm 61 and three quarters.

tanith Sun 12-Feb-12 22:30:53

Certainly doesn't seem fair does it.. I'll have to have a look for the explanation..

gracesmum Sun 12-Feb-12 22:42:36

Senior Railcard which you do have to pay for but mine has paid for itself many many times over. The same for National Express (alas no longer free), 10%off Boots products on producing your Boots card (you may have to fill something in initially)
(Bus pass age has gone up with reitrement age - unfair)

NannaJeannie Sun 12-Feb-12 22:44:24

Railcard? they seem to have kept that at 60

glammanana Mon 13-Feb-12 07:29:32

I got my bus pass when I was 60 even though I had to wait a further six months for my state pension,I would check at your bus company just to be sure,the first day I got mine I travelled all over The Wirral with it it is the first thing I had ever received from the Government that was free.You will also get reductions on hairdressing and gym membership,free swimming at the local Council pool,certain meal deals in some restaurants,just be cheeky and ask when you ring up to book I certainly do and 10% discount is worth having.

susiecb Mon 13-Feb-12 07:51:02

You only get one heating allowance per household not each if you have a spouse or someone else like a dependant older person already gets it. I was 59 yesterday and don't get my state pension until I'm 63 and then only by the skin of my teeth my three SILs who barely worked got theirs at 60 I worked for 30 years full time and have to wait another three years. The women who come after me have to wait even longer which is a real concern as many occupations these women are in will knacker them before then.

Greatnan Mon 13-Feb-12 11:25:41

They are talking about raising the retirement age to 73 - can you imagine teaching Year 10 bottom stream at that age? Or doing a job involving heavy lifting, standing or other physically demanding things?
It is true that we are living longer these days, but not necessarily remaining fit and strong in our 70's.
And of course the longer people stay in jobs, the less openings there will be for school leavers.
The money wasted on aborted defence contracts would pay a lot of pensions.

ameliaanne Mon 13-Feb-12 12:03:33

I also receive 50% off certain Boots own brand items with my Advantage Card but that may be because I am in their Health Club as well as the over 60 part. I always buy the washing-up liquid and rubber gloves - a very good saving at 50% off. Only in some of the stores though. Worth checking?

ameliaanne Mon 13-Feb-12 12:16:54

I meant that the Boots washing-up liquid & rubber gloves are only available in certain stores....... Not the discount. I presume that there are other products which have the 50% too.

MrsJamJam Mon 13-Feb-12 12:18:35

When we were travelling in Europe my DH got into every museum and gallery free by showing his passport, because he was over 60. I cost a fortune!

gracesmum Mon 13-Feb-12 12:20:08

I'm in their Health Club (so-called) and I only ever seem to get 10% [sad} sniff! Are these special offers or do I need to go in wielding my handbag?

Annobel Mon 13-Feb-12 12:27:31

I think it's 20% off but only for health products like painkillers and vitamins - and if you aren't spending £1 or more they don't record the purchase on your Advantage card so you don't get the deduction. As you can only buy 32 paracetamol at a time, this rules me out when I go in for my regular 'fix'.

Greatnan Mon 13-Feb-12 13:08:37

My French doctor has just given me a prescription for 48 paracetamol (they will last for months, as I rarely suffer any pain now I have stopped having migraines).

ameliaanne Mon 13-Feb-12 13:47:31

gracesmum It was on my original leaflet with the Health Club and I certainly got the 50% last time I bought these items. I suppose it was late last year. Am now wildly searching for the leaflet. I am bound to have it somewhere.....

No, haven't found it! Shall go into Boots tomorrow and investigate. It's niggling me now! However, while searching wildly, I found a Pharmacy First leaflet from my local chemist. In my area (and I imagine in others) I can get treatments from my pharmacy for free (over 60s) without visiting the doctor. I get cold sore ointment and you can get all manner of things for minor ailments. Shall come back to you on the Advantage Card thingy.

Mamie Mon 13-Feb-12 13:50:20

Yes Greatnan, paracetamol on the prescription is something you always seem to get in France. There is a train concession, but nothing on buses, nothing off swimming (and round us you can only swim between 12 and 1.30), nothing in any shops, no heating allowances, nothing off cinema and theatre tickets. The only concession we have found is that you get a better tax allowance at 65, but I think that is also the case in the UK.