Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Upset neighbour

(10 Posts)
glammanana Fri 17-Feb-12 15:10:44

To-day as normal I popped into to see one of my neighbours and take him some soup I made yesterday,he did not look his normal self and when I asked what the problem was he said he had received a letter from Works and Pensions to say he had been overpaid on his benifits/pension credit since 1997 to the tune of nearly £1.500s and they want him to repay asap,after speaking to him for a while he said all his paperwork was completed by a offical at the Local One Stop Shop which deals with kind of thing,if it was not his mistake can they come after him after 15 yrs or can he make arrangements to pay directly from his pension if the mistake was his ? sorry so long.

jeni Fri 17-Feb-12 15:43:11

Ask cab They might know

susiecb Fri 17-Feb-12 15:51:20

Definitely need advice on this one various places to go Citizens Advice, some councils (social services) have a Benefits Advice Officer, age UK are helpful too. If it does need to be repaid I am sure arrangements can be made to pay back in smaller amounts over time. There are so many mistakes being made at the moment.

Carol Fri 17-Feb-12 15:56:21

They have the discretion to wipe some of this, according to Martin Lewis, and the rest should be paid back at as slow a rate as possible. He should complain and maybe say he deserves compensation for the shock and the fact it has been long-running and not his fault. If it was in my power I would say he should pay nothing back - what a nerve. I thought they were only able to go back 6 years.

bikergran Fri 17-Feb-12 16:01:59

It seems they have differnet laws....if we are paid short we only get it backdated for x amount of months...but if we! have been over paid then I different story as to how long they can go back...hope the whole thing is wiped off and let this person have some peace.. good luck...

glammanana Fri 17-Feb-12 22:20:23

Thanks for the reply's I have been to see him to-night and he is very upset, I have promised to telephone Benifits Office on Monday am for him,I have found out that they had not taken a very small pension into account when working out his benifit,but they did ask for his bank accounts and statements so cannot see why it has not been picked up before,specially when they worked out his OAP forcast.

jeni Fri 17-Feb-12 22:31:36

They don't check bank accounts. That is only so they know where to pay him into.if the dwp do not disregard what is a very small op. I think his only remedy is to possibly threaten to take one stop to small claims court?
This is not my field, but he should put an appeal in stat to the appeals service!
There was a similar case the other day in a session I was involved
. However because I was not involved(ie no medical issues ) I do not know what was the outcome.
But you must put an appeal in ASOP!

Annika Fri 17-Feb-12 22:55:31

Why is it letters like this nearly always land on our mats on a Friday, that means all weekend to worry before any of us can speak to someone from the department that sent the letter in the first place ! angry

grannyactivist Fri 17-Feb-12 23:15:34

Glamma however this situation is resolved I'm sure your neighbour must really appreciate your kindnesses to him. You deserve a little bunch of thanks for being such a good samaritan.

glammanana Sat 18-Feb-12 00:08:30

Thanks for that GA I don't go out of my way to being an over helpful neighbour it just sort of happens,what is so upsetting is this man is not the type to have deliberatley taken money he was not entitled to,I just think that the wrong info put down on original form and gone from there.Still must wait now until Monday and have a go.