Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Residency of grandchildren

(3 Posts)
123atty Wed 18-Apr-12 17:42:35

Hi
My daughter's ex has applied for residency of their 2 children. She is refusing this because the little girl came home one day (after an overnight stay)saying 'daddy hurt my mo mo' She also had bad nightmares and started wetting the bed.My daughter believes the child was sexually abused (no proof was found by the police.) She was never examined. She was only 2ish at the time.The case has been going on for almost 3yrs now and my daughter still digging her feet in . Could we as grandparents apply for temp residency if he should win the case and it looks like he might. He lives in a one bed flat, cannabis smoker, never has supported them in anyway. We have always helped bring them up. The 3yr old boy has never met him. Sorry its so winded but not sure what to do now. There is a hearing next week. The Cafcass person seems to be on his side also.
The expert witness seems to favour him (the Dad) but he has no idea what he is really
Thanks

Carol Wed 18-Apr-12 18:32:37

I'd be astonished if the application went in his favour without a prolonged period of supervised contact in a Cafcass contact centre or similar, which would be reviewed in due course. Those symptoms could be indicative of abuse, and the child should have been examined at the time, as the child may have meant something else when she said this. Presumably this allegation is being discussed currently?

All the information you have at hand should be given to the court, and the Cafcass worker should supply it in the report, and give an appraisal of the value of that allegation, together with the allegations of him smoking cannabis in his flat. If it is not, your daughter should send a letter to the judge for the court hearing and take a copy with her in case he hasn't seen it. Cannabis stays in the system for a long time, so a drug test would reveal recent use. Drug tests can be done quickly. If the Cafcass office doesn't have urine tests in stock, they are usually very near a probation office that does, and they will always help. Likewise the local Community Drugs Team or the GP. He should be offering to be drug tested if he is confident about his suitability for contact.

If you are still not happy, your daughter should be speaking to social services or NSPCC and saying that she believes the child is at risk of further sexual abuse and exposure to cannabis (although many cannabis users do not use it near their children).

You would only be considered for temp residency if you believed that the main carer could not look after the child properly and an assessment would be made if there was any foundation to your claim. It doesn't look as if that is what you're saying

grannyactivist Wed 18-Apr-12 21:23:24

I agree with Carol's take on this and would be equally astonished if the application went in the father's favour without evidence afforded by further supervised contact.

123atty Are you talking about Shared Residency? What makes you think that the father might be successful and who is the 'expert witness'?