Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Mum in Nursing Home

(6 Posts)
Oggleby Tue 12-Jun-12 08:54:02

Mum has been in a nursing home for just over 5 years now.
No local home would take her and she had to be placed in a home 25 miles away.
I am a pensioner and have visited her most days.
She has full NHS funding.
My car has now done 108,000 miles mainly as a result of these visits and other running about for Mum. I have been advised it will need some expensive repairs to get it through the next MOT if it continues to do similar mileage. It was new when my mother went into the home.
Mum's money is mounting up at a rate of £1,500 per month as she does not have to pay any fees.
I have lasting Power of Attorney.
I have asked a solicitor, Citizens Advice Bureau and the Court of Protection if it would be OK to use some of Mum's money to purchase a new car. They have all replied not normally but this is an extreme situation and it ''Should'' be OK.
I am a little worried about the word ''should''.
As I am a pensioner I will not be able to visit her so much if I can not use some of her money towards a new car and I do not want to stop these visits just to inherit more money. I am the sole beneficiary of her will.
Has anybody been in this situation and used some of their parents money to purchase a new car?.
Normally a person would only live for 15 months in Mum's state so as people have said this is extreme.

JessM Tue 12-Jun-12 09:00:46

You have been a very dedicated caring daughter. Sounds like you have taken advice and that it is ok to go with it. Is there anyone in the family who would have a view?
I am also wondering - does visiting your mum take up most of your life at the moment?

Lawden Tue 12-Jun-12 09:23:06

The general family accept I am the beneficiary of her will and have no interest in her money.
They have asked if going on the train would be better but I would have to get a taxi for 4 miles at the nursing home end and walk a mile to my local station.
If it was the other way round I would probably use the train some days after driving to the local station but I would still have to take take the car some days as I take her things like soap, clothes and things like tins of diet coke and I give her some wine most days.
I could probably leave the wine in reception but I take the wine which is not consumed home and bring it back the next day.
I am fortunate my house is only 3 minutes away from the motorway and the home is only 2 minutes from the motorway so I can get there in about 40 minutes door to door on average.
Sometimes I can do the journey a little faster but the traffic tends to slow up somewhere on the way.
Yes it does take up most of my afternoons but I do go out with friends 3 evenings a week and I go to a friend's house for coffee once a week in the morning. She does not drive.
I only use the car on one of the evenings as it is easier to get the bus on the other 2 and I can have a couple of drinks.

PENMANA Tue 12-Jun-12 09:49:09

I have reported this post.
Oggleby and Lawden appear to be the same person.

Ella46 Tue 12-Jun-12 09:59:21

There does appear to be something strange going on confused

shysal Tue 12-Jun-12 10:00:05

Well spotted PENMANA.