Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Becoming a Carer for the Second Time

(16 Posts)
Rosedia Tue 19-Jun-12 10:07:50

I was widowed in 2006 and joined my father in his house and cared for him from mid 2007 until mid 2010.
I was left half the house by my mother.
I am now 60.
He then had to go into a nursing home and sadly passed away in August 2011.
The house was disregarded by the council as I was an owner occupier.
My father in law passed away in November 2011 and left me his half of the bungalow which my mother in law now lives in. She owns the other half of it and is now 86.
She wants me to go and live with her and to sell the house. She has some physical problems but the doctor has said he has no reason to think she will need any care which can not be managed at home in the forseeable future and she has no life threatening conditions.
Her mother and father lived until they were 98 and 99 in their own bungalow and passed away suddenly.
Does anybody know if a property will be disregarded by the for a second time as I will only be a half owner again.
What concerns me is at present I have got the money from the home which I purchased with my husband and will have the money from my mother's / father's house.
As of now I could buy a very good bungalow but in theory my mother in law could live for another 17 years and who knows what house prices will be then?.

Rose

Granny23 Tue 19-Jun-12 10:47:27

You do not say if you have DC and or DGC or are alone, and if you are your MIL's closest relative - which would affect any choices you make. Only thought to throw into the mix is it is one thing to consider buying and selling houses when you are 60 and quite another to undertake these tasks alone when you are 77 or older.

Mark1520 Thu 28-Jun-12 16:39:36

Hi Granny23

What do you mean by DC and DGC?.

Mark

Ariadne Thu 28-Jun-12 16:58:09

These ar Gransnet abbreviations, Mark.

DC = Dear children
DGC Dear grandchildren

And so on.

DH/OH/ OG = our partners.

Quite simple once you know! Took me a while. Welcome, anyway. Are you a Grandad?

Mark1520 Thu 28-Jun-12 17:05:47

Hi Rosedia

With regard to you caring for your father you were living with him as his carer and you were an owner occupier of the house so the council had to disregard it for Care Home fees.
This is confirmed by Age Concern Factsheet 38 and the CRAG report.
I know people have been put under pressure to sell jointly owned properties but the council can not force a sale.

You will be in exactly the same position with living with your mother in law and in addition you will be over 60 if she ever has to go into care so under present regulations you can not be forced to sell the bungalow.

You did not mention if the properties come under the same councils. I know somebody who became a carer for a second time under similar circumstances to yours and the person he was caring for had to go into care 6 years later. The only question he was asked was how long had he been in the property for and the property was disregarded. He was not asked if he had inherited another property from anybody.
The properties did however came under different councils.
If the properties had been under the same council I am just thinking the council may have pressed harder for the property to be sold but under present regulations the council could not force a sale.

I have read recently the finance of care is being reviewed and regulations could change for example a charge being put on the house even if a husband / wife occupies it so the council recovers amounts spent may be years later when the property is sold.

Laws could be altered but I would like to think account would be taken of situations which have happened prior to law changes but nobody can guarantee this.

Mark

Mark1520 Thu 28-Jun-12 17:13:02

Hi Ariadne

I am not a grandad yet but by one daughter is expecting twins on the 14th July and the other is expecting a baby on the 22nd July.

I hope you are not going to say I should not be on this site.

I was just looking at the threads and joined as I thought I could help some of the members and may want help in the future.

Mark

Stansgran Thu 28-Jun-12 18:40:00

You sound very knowledgeable and already helpful. I am sure people here will be full of advice come 14th July

Ella46 Thu 28-Jun-12 19:51:38

Mark you are very welcome to the Gransnet site, join in the fun as well as helping out smile

nightowl Thu 28-Jun-12 20:02:29

Blimey Mark you really are going to jump into grandparenting at the deep end aren't you? How lovely for you and your family, and how exciting. Welcome to gransnet, it's a fun place to be smile

jeni Thu 28-Jun-12 20:26:37

Sounds as though you may have some legal knowledge?

glammanana Fri 29-Jun-12 09:43:45

mark good sound advice always welcomed on here,if I where you I would get my self superfit for the task ahead with 3 DGCs all expected in July there are a lot of cuddles on the way I think.Enjoy and keep us up to date, so exciting envy I love new babies my youngest DGS is 8 now and he is well past the cuddles stage sad

Ariadne Fri 29-Jun-12 10:42:07

Mark of course I'm not suggesting you shouldn't be here! I was just showing interest in you, that's all. Sorry to have caused offence. sad

Annobel Fri 29-Jun-12 10:50:46

You are sure to be a great addition to our community, Mark. Welcome and we'll join you in wetting the babies' heads when you tell us they are safely here. Good wishes to all your rapidly extending family.

Mark1520 Fri 29-Jun-12 18:06:06

Hi Ariadne

I was only having a joke with you.

My father is also looking forward to becoming a Great Grandad.
He is in very good health for his age and I hope he can find a lot of energy for them.
Just imagine what father's day will be like.
Sadly my wife's mother and father has passed away.
A lot of the family would like to have a boy as I was the last boy to be born in a large family.
Our family name will not exist in 50 years time.
As long as they are all healthy however boys or girls will be very acceptable.
As a grandad I am also looking forward to buying a fathers day card for my father in 2013 and taking him out to lunch with the rest of the family.

Mark

Granny23 Mon 02-Jul-12 14:41:46

Mark 1520 - do not be so sure that your family name will vanish! Neither of our two daughters has taken their partner's name. Their children have their fathers' surnames and their mothers' surnames in the middle. Other branches of the family have used the surname as a first name for their boys. My sister and I, from another 2 girl family have given our unusal surname as a middle name to two of our children and it has cropped up again as a middle name for some of the grandchildren. My own DD2 uses that surname for some of her written pieces. And so it lives on......

nanaej Mon 02-Jul-12 14:47:23

Indeed, my DD2 is not married to her partner and neither liked his surname so both DGDs have my DH surname! (I don't!)