Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Scams

(30 Posts)
glassortwo Tue 03-Jul-12 12:57:09

I received 2 similar emails (see below) today from LLoyds Bank, as I don't bank with them I presume its another of those banking scams, so be careful.

Dear Glassortwo,

Due to unusual number of invalid log in attempts on you account, we had to issue this warning message and put some extra verification process to ensure your identity and your account are secured.

To ensure your protection, we've now blocked access to your accounts. You now need to verify your access online.

Please fill in the form on our secured website below to verify your Lloyds TSB personal Internet Banking.

https://online.lloydstsb.co.uk/personal/logon/login.jsp?messageKey=IB:84599459&mobile=false <http://blog.poolsupply360.com/las6/index.php>

If your information will not be confirmed with us within 24 hours your account will be permanently suspended and your funds will be on hold untill further notice.

Please note:
1. Your information needs to be exactly as the one we have on file.
2. All the traffic is securely encrypted with a 2048 bits encryption system ensuring that your information remains safe.
3. This is a compulsory measure. Failure to update your information will lead to service suspension.

We are sorry for any inconvenince that this might have caused.

Thank you for chosing Lloyds TSB Internet Banking.

LloydsTSB Security Team.

greenmossgiel Tue 03-Jul-12 13:02:05

I don't bank with them either, glass, but I've had similar emails from Paypal in the past. I use Paypal for Ebay. Whenever these scam/spoof/phishing emails come through, I always report them to Paypal immediately, then delete it. Have you contacted Lloyds TSB's security department?

glassortwo Tue 03-Jul-12 13:03:52

No but will do it now green smile

Anagram Tue 03-Jul-12 13:06:45

These phishing emails are all over the place! We get them at work, and DH gets them in his email account. I have a hotmail account and very rarely get rubbish like this - don't know why, because I do all my financial transactions using that account.

We just delete them - the banks are all aware this is going on.

Annobel Tue 03-Jul-12 13:13:51

I fell for a similar scam purporting to come from RBS. As a result, my debit card had to be changed as well as my on-line banking arrangements. The crazy thing was that a few months previously I'd recognised a similar one as spam and deleted it.

jeni Tue 03-Jul-12 13:30:21

I've just had the 'stranded on holiday ' email from someone whose name is faintly familiar but I can't place!
What do people do about these? Do you report them to anyone?

Annobel Tue 03-Jul-12 14:19:24

If your service provider has a facility for reporting spam, you can do that.

glammanana Tue 03-Jul-12 15:41:30

Yes jeni I would report to service provider .

glammanana Tue 03-Jul-12 15:42:39

These scammers will be most upset once the realise that they are trying it on with us lot of clued up GNers

Greatnan Tue 03-Jul-12 16:50:22

I got a message to my mobile phone (nobody knows its number, not even me as I use it for outgoing calls only). Apparently, their records show that I could be due nearly £3,000 for mis-sold insurance. I have never been naive enough to fall for the insurance scam in the first place, so it was obviously just a blanket scam.

AlisonMA Tue 03-Jul-12 17:43:22

They usually go into myjunk mailbox so I just mark them as phishing scams but I do get an occassional one in my inbox and do the same. There are so many of these and text messages too but we just have to ignore them and especially anyone phoning with a way to make money! If it looks too good to be true it is!

glammanana Tue 03-Jul-12 18:48:23

I have been plagued by spam e-mails from a Canadian Pharmacy for the past few months and when I go to unsubscribe it comes up as a suspect site and not to visit so I cannot stop the messages.I just clear the in box every am but some morning there are up to 40/50 spam e-mails waiting for me.

Anagram Tue 03-Jul-12 18:58:37

That's awful, glamma! Can't you get your service provider to do something about it?

Elegran Tue 03-Jul-12 19:05:11

glamma Is it not possible to block the address it is coming from on your browser? i blocked a lot of senders when I used Outlook Express. Firefox can block messages or automatically delete them, and I am sure other browsers can. It should be under " message filters" probably in the tools menu.

Annobel Tue 03-Jul-12 19:30:30

Once I mark an email as spam, gmail automatically puts subsequent emails from the same sender into my spam box.

Anagram Tue 03-Jul-12 19:33:35

Same here. You must have something like that, glamma - have a root around!

yogagran Tue 03-Jul-12 20:31:18

greatnan and anyone else who gets messages like that on your mobile, I found that I was actually being charged to receive these messages. Vodafone told me to send one reply stating "STOP" and hit the reply button. If you have a smartphone you can install an app called Airpush Permanent Opt-out which should stop any more coming in

yogagran Tue 03-Jul-12 20:38:54

Just thought of something else - NEVER reply to a suspicious email through the link in the email itself, if you need to reply - close the email (preferably delete it) and then go through the website or reply with a brand new email

Annobel Tue 03-Jul-12 21:15:01

And never reply to a dodgy text. It will be charged to your account - and then some!

Ariadne Tue 03-Jul-12 21:21:11

Annobel I was just going to say that. Usually, in small print, it says "text stop" and you need to do that. Never, ever, respond!

whenim64 Thu 20-Sep-12 14:22:47

Watch out for the latest email scam. Here's one I've just received and deleted. As a pensioner on a fixed income, I know I am not due a refund, and certainly not at this time of year. The mail bears an Inland Revenue logo, but I have never, ever had an email from them. They always write.

Tax Refund Confirmation

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity, we have determined that you are
eligible to receive a tax refund of 468.50 GBP. Please submit the tax refund request and
click here by having your tax refund sent to your bank account in due time

Please Click "Get Started" to have your tax refund sent to your bank account, your tax
refund will be sent to your bank account in due time take your time to go through the bank
we have on our list

Get Started

Note : A refund can be delayed a variety of reasons, for example submitting invalid records
or applying after deadline.

Best Regards

HM Revenue & Customs  

bikergran Thu 20-Sep-12 14:32:16

Best regards Inland Rvenue!!! lol LOL...smile yaaaaaa right!!!

FlicketyB Thu 20-Sep-12 15:57:42

The golden rule is never to respond to any email requesting financial info no matter how genuine it looks. Always log out, look out the relevant organisation's phone number online or in your paper records and check with them. Nine times out of ten, no, ninety nine times out of a hundred it is a scam.

I find those 'friend asking help from abroad' emails particularly unconvincing, the language of the emails plus often, the country they are supposedly emailing from, not to mention just having returned from seeing the sender when the mail arrived or not having seen them in years as they are merest acquaintances and do not even feature on my contacts list.

Greatnan Thu 20-Sep-12 16:39:46

I had a slight problem yesterday. I had booked my flights to NZ for next February using a UK travel agent, making sure they were members of ATOL. I used my French credit card to pay. I got an e-mail asking me to send them a copy of my passport and also of both sides of my credit card. Naturally, I replied that I would never send either online and I had never been asked to do this in all the many flights I take each year.
They replied very courteously that it was because I was using a non-UK card to book a flight from the UK in case of money laundering. How would that work - I can't imagine some master criminal getting rid of just over one thousand pounds and having to take a flight to Auckland.
I told them I had consulted my bank and ATOL and they were both adamant that this was not a normal request. They then agreed to issue the tickets with just the normal information and they arrived by e-mail this morning.
I am extremely careful with my financial information!

Nelliemoser Fri 21-Sep-12 09:36:15

Greatnan That really is illogical from the Airlines point of view. Hundreds of people every year must book flights with a credit card foreign to the countries they are flying to and from. World air travel would collapse if you couldn't do that.

glammanana
Does your email facility enable you to "lable" an email as "junk" so any others from the same source will automatically go to the junk email folder. I have done this with a few it seems possible with Hotmail.