Gransnet forums

Legal, pensions and money

Wow a loan has been reserved for me.

(26 Posts)
HUNTERF Tue 27-Nov-12 12:02:35

I have just had a letter from HSBC saying a £15,000 loan has been reserved for me.
Surely at the age of 63 and being early retired the bank should not try to encourage me to take out loans.
I have not asked for a loan and I do not forsee the need for one.

Frank

Anne58 Tue 27-Nov-12 12:08:01

And then they wonder why so many people have debt problems!

glammanana Tue 27-Nov-12 12:27:24

Only on the funny side of this I would take the loan and claim the early onset of dementia and deny all knowledge of receiving it and spending it on a world cruise.lol.

Nanadog Tue 27-Nov-12 12:40:26

Small change hunter I've just won $6,000,000 in a lottery I never entered ...ain't I the lucky one. I'm just off now to enter all my bank details, etc and send a $500 administration fee to claim it. See you all in Vegas grin

annodomini Tue 27-Nov-12 13:18:23

Nanad cheers! Drinks are on you wine wine wine

HUNTERF Tue 27-Nov-12 13:19:39

Nanadog

You are lucky.
I am owed a total of about £100,000 for PPI and £48,000 for an accident.
Unless I am suffering early onset dementia I have only ever had a mortgage and an interest free car loan and these were repaid years ago.
I have never had an accident.
Oddly enough I did visit somebody recently who is now in care at age 54 with dementia but I do not think he could put a thread on Gransnet.

Frank

HUNTERF Tue 27-Nov-12 13:22:33

O'h

I have just had another text. I am owed another £4,480 ppi.

glammanana Tue 27-Nov-12 13:27:31

HUNTERF not that much this time eh? it may just take you around the world once.grin

vampirequeen Tue 27-Nov-12 13:27:32

Why am I only owed £2500 ppi and my mysterious accident is only worth £3348? I want to be more valuable like you all are lol.

Barrow Tue 27-Nov-12 14:09:38

I had an email telling me I had won $500,000 in the Australian lottery! I was just planning how to spend it when I realised I had not entered the Australian lottery and why would an Australian lottery be paying in American dollars?

gracesmum Tue 27-Nov-12 17:26:07

At least you are savvy enugh to laugh at it, but when you read of some multimillionaires falling for "Ponzi" schemes and losing thousands, even millions of pounds, you realise there truly is "one born every minute"!!

HUNTERF Wed 28-Nov-12 17:06:54

I think the loan companies have got hold of my name and are targeting me.
I have had 5 e mails today and I have been pre approved for loans totaling £57,000.
I am happy to have the money but I do not want to pay interest.

Frank

Ariadne Wed 28-Nov-12 17:32:59

Frank you are being ironic about this, aren't you? I hate to think that you might believe all these messages. Please reassure me!

HUNTERF Wed 28-Nov-12 18:47:00

Hi Ariadne

I don't know if all these messages are genuine but I am sure HSBC is.
At the end of the day the only debt I will take on this christmas we be with my credit card and this will be fully paid by the first week of January before any interest is due.
I just find it easier to pay by credit card and to settle in 1 lump sum at the end of the month.
I also get a bit of cash back this way.

Frank

annodomini Wed 28-Nov-12 19:43:12

Be very careful about messages that claim to come from banks. I got an email that had every appearance of coming from RBS, and I was fooled - not quite awake at the time and had to have my card cancelled immediately. These phishers are adept at copying logos.

HUNTERF Wed 28-Nov-12 20:10:54

I am convinced the HSBC letter is genuine but I would not put my hand on heart about the rest.
I have had several e mails saying my account is being stopped.
The main problem is I do not have an account with most of these banks.
Like most people I would not put in any of my passwords etc.
I have to admit I was half convinced by one once so I contacted my bank.
They asked me to forward it to them and it was a hoax.

Frank

vampirequeen Wed 28-Nov-12 21:12:18

There is also a paypal scam going round.

Deedaa Wed 28-Nov-12 22:32:14

I get occasional emails telling me about spurious dealings in my Paypal account. I just delete them and go direct to my Paypal account to check. I never find that there was any thing happening at all. The best ones are the emails telling me I need to update my bank account details. They always purport to be from banks I have never used, so again - delete.
For variety I get occasional phonecalls about car crashes I haven't had or texts about non existant PPIs . The texts are interesting as I never give my mobile number to anyone (can't remember it)

Nanadog Thu 29-Nov-12 08:24:30

Those texts you get about PPIs and accidents were mentioned on Martin Lewis's programme the other night. He said never to acknowledge them, even by typing STOP. By doing that you are confirming the your number is active and the perpetrators will then sell it in to others.
I did see something on the news too about how one of these spam outfits have been closed down by the police and the spammers are being prosecuted.

Ian42 Thu 29-Nov-12 20:10:20

Another popular scam to be aware of is an e-mail from your bank/building society saying your account is being closed down, please send your account details so that we can rectify it as soon as possible. Do not fall for it.

Nanadog Fri 30-Nov-12 08:57:17

Or even ian from banks and building societies I'm not in! I get these almost every day and they're really annoying. Is there any simple way to refer them back to the banks they purport to come from?

Elegran Fri 30-Nov-12 09:42:58

The bank website will have a link somewhere for reporting scams too. They can then follow it up and, we hope, eventually the scammers will get their come-uppance.

Ian42 Fri 30-Nov-12 14:08:30

Unfortunately most of the e-mail scams come from different countries, mainly east European and part of Africa. Some of them are untraceable. I mentioned this to the bank that I use and they said that they never ask for account details either by e-mail or letter. So don't give information to anyone.

vampirequeen Fri 30-Nov-12 15:27:46

Paypal have a link they'd like you to forward any scam emails to. Out of interest I googled the email country on the last one I got....was from Latvia.

A problem arose when Santander wanted to talk to me and I wouldn't tell them anything because I didn't realise they contacted you direct if something different happened on your account (I'd made about 15 £1 payments one after the other and the computer automatically locked my account). So the poor girl was trying to convince me she was genuine and I wasn't having any of it. I phoned the main office only to find she was genuine and had to phone her back. She was lovely about it but I did feel a bit daft. Though tbh feeling a bit daft is better than having my account hacked.

Elegran Fri 30-Nov-12 16:40:59

I am sure they were quite happy with you being difficult - it is better for them as well as for you.